gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:39:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's book tour dates  (Read 7920 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2016, 07:27:22 AM »

How deep was Capitol's role in making the cuts for the final tracklist? Hypothetically if Mike had managed to get half or more of his songs placed on the record, would Capitol have gone along with that? The involvement of Brian was key to this project (and C50 in general, all aspects), so what about any possible terms coming from Capitol that the album had to feature songs written by Brian?

Or what if Mike did bring songs to the table, and they were deemed not suitable for the album or, perhaps, not up to the standard Capitol was expecting...either from the reunited Beach Boys or the album itself? Consider how Mike has been talking down Brian and Joe's pitching "old" songs, in some ways, yet Capitol released them as the majority of songs on the 2012 album and then released Brian's NPP album three years later. Apart from TWGMTR's contribution, Mike hasn't had an original song released by Capitol since, what...Still Cruisin in 1989 or whatever it was? Capitol is still the band's "label", they release the music - maybe they had more of a say in how many Mike Love songs would go onto the BB's reunion album versus those written by and with Brian.

Lot of questions.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2016, 08:06:22 AM »

Let's all thank our collective lucky stars that myKe luHv's input was minimal especially in light of the bland quality of DOTO. It's difficult trying to imagine how the album would have been anywhere as successful as it was with his lackluster attempts at songwriting on his own. Brian's not writing with luHv is a gift to everyone involved, especially the fans. If myKe wants to record, let's see how it unfolds without Brian and under his own name.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 09:00:12 AM »

How deep was Capitol's role in making the cuts for the final tracklist? Hypothetically if Mike had managed to get half or more of his songs placed on the record, would Capitol have gone along with that? The involvement of Brian was key to this project (and C50 in general, all aspects), so what about any possible terms coming from Capitol that the album had to feature songs written by Brian?

Or what if Mike did bring songs to the table, and they were deemed not suitable for the album or, perhaps, not up to the standard Capitol was expecting...either from the reunited Beach Boys or the album itself? Consider how Mike has been talking down Brian and Joe's pitching "old" songs, in some ways, yet Capitol released them as the majority of songs on the 2012 album and then released Brian's NPP album three years later. Apart from TWGMTR's contribution, Mike hasn't had an original song released by Capitol since, what...Still Cruisin in 1989 or whatever it was? Capitol is still the band's "label", they release the music - maybe they had more of a say in how many Mike Love songs would go onto the BB's reunion album versus those written by and with Brian.

Lot of questions.

I don't have it in front of me, but I THINK it was the Jason Fine RS article.  I think Bruce was quoted as saying (could have been one of the other guys) that they submitted a bunch of songs to Capitol and Capitol ultimately made the final choice of what the final track list was. I'll have to go back and read it.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2016, 09:02:28 AM »

There were a number of songs that were rejected including Al's Waves of Love and Bruce's redo of She Believes In Love Again.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2016, 09:27:44 AM »

Also worth noting is that someone (perhaps Bruce) posted online suggesting that Capitol Records was ultimately who selected the final tracklisting for the album. I don't know what was submitted versus what was actually put on the album.

But it's at least possible that they worked on more than one Mike song, and Capitol rejected others. The group (or at least Bruce and Foskett) apparently did recording on "She Believes in Love Again." Meanwhile, "Waves of Love" certainly wasn't even on the table for Capitol to reject, as apparently no actual recording took place.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2016, 12:32:10 PM »

Let's all thank our collective lucky stars that myKe luHv's input was minimal especially in light of the bland quality of DOTO. It's difficult trying to imagine how the album would have been anywhere as successful as it was with his lackluster attempts at songwriting on his own. Brian's not writing with luHv is a gift to everyone involved, especially the fans. If myKe wants to record, let's see how it unfolds without Brian and under his own name.

Until you pointed it out, I didn't realize how DOTO may be one of the worst song title acronyms in the BB catalog.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2016, 04:39:57 PM »

Until you pointed it out, I didn't realize how DOTO may be one of the worst song title acronyms in the BB catalog.

'Due to' the relatively short span where Mike's TRUE, REAL, ACTUAL contributions to the composing of the group's songs meant anything of VALUE whatsoever...DITTO would likely be a better fit.  Of course Brian wanted to MOVE ON...Grow.  Mature.  And, in doing so, accompany the BB's core audience along their various and sundry paths of life.  

And Legendary OLDE Surfer Dude...we've already seen [and heard] how the No Go Show Boat does without Brian on his previous 1/2 baked attempts at being 'all that'.

In  a word?  Pitifully.  

Those releases were Burnt Weenie Sandwiches...personified.  [thanks Frank...rip]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 04:44:28 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2016, 04:47:03 PM »

Everyone, this is why I love this board so much.  I go to a book signing, resurrect a thread that hadn't been posted on for over 30  days, and look at the last 20 responses.  A lot of what I would say is damn good thoughtful analysis on the cluster C50 became.  IMO, a lot of what's been said and especially by HJ and GF, hits the nail on the head, from a pure speculation point of view.  Mike spoke of the endless meetings with Capitol while trying to hammer out the actual tour arrangements.  I think GF's last questions about the level of Capitol's involvement ties in hugely with HJ's reasoning/point of view where Mike felt stepped on in the process and stews over lost $$$'s. 

Okay now round two.  I forgot about this when I typed up my response back on 10/31.  Reference the branding license meeting at BRI back in 98-ish.  Mike said he abstained  and the vote was 2-1.  You all are better searching back threads than I am.  I believe I read a thread years ago where people were saying the vote was 3-1 and AGD came in and said don't believe everything you hear or read.....Anyone else recall that thread ?   
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2016, 01:07:17 PM »

I just noticed that in the Acknowledgements section of the book Stephen Love is not mentioned.   I wonder why?
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2016, 01:28:01 PM »

I just noticed that in the Acknowledgements section of the book Stephen Love is not mentioned.   I wonder why?

Last I knew they had been estranged for years

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2016, 01:44:59 PM »

AGD came in and said don't believe everything you hear or read.

Especially if it was said by him!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2016, 02:16:59 PM »

I just noticed that in the Acknowledgements section of the book Stephen Love is not mentioned.   I wonder why?

Last I knew they had been estranged for years

Maybe Rocky can shed some light on this.  Someone put out the Rocky Bat-Signal for a Rushton Review.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 04:30:59 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2016, 02:50:35 PM »

After the book signing in Seattle, Mike said he was off to Portland to visit family.  Aren't both Maureen and Stan in the Portland area ?   No mention was made during the Q&A about Stephen.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2016, 05:45:51 PM »

AGD came in and said don't believe everything you hear or read.

Especially if it was said by him!

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx