gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:40:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's book tour dates  (Read 7922 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2016, 08:29:27 PM »

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/authors/events?page=1&author=Mike%20Love

Here are the locations and dates for Mike's book readings/signings....starting in LA this Saturday. Austin....Denver....he's definitely venturing into hipster territory where the questions won't be softballs, you gotta hand that to him.

The DC date is definitely the odd one here. A Mano is not a bookstore or record store, but an upscale home furnishings store!
http://amano.bz/
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 08:37:39 PM by rn57 » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 12:16:11 PM »

I'd really like to go to the one in DC...that's going to be interesting...but just like Brian's signing for L&M in DC...they pick an odd-ball weeknight and I don't stand a chance of making it down there in time.
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 07:15:28 AM »

If im not working Embarrassed like when i missed jerry hellers 'Ruthless: a memoir' but ill be at the rock hall on the 28th hopefully

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 02:23:16 AM »

9-17-2016, West Hollywood
Mike Love, co-founder of The Beach Boys, Talks About His New Book: Good Vibrations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj1wgJaHjuc

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 09:41:09 PM »

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 09:52:54 PM »

The professor will be going to the Reagan Library God willing
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 09:56:19 PM »

Isn't" Reagan Library" a contradiction in terms?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 07:03:30 AM »

Billy!!! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 07:54:20 AM »

w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!...it's an improvement over the hats for sure.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 09:51:40 AM »

Isn't" Reagan Library" a contradiction in terms?

LOL  You guys are too good!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 09:54:37 AM »

w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!...it's an improvement over the hats for sure.

Again, I bow to your humor...
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 09:24:09 PM »

I thought I would bump this.   I was at Mike's book signing yesterday in Seattle.  Horrific weather at the time with traffic backed up everywhere in the city due to accidents and sporting events.  A few thoughts are below....

The event started with a gentleman asking Mike 15 or 20 questions about his time in the BB's up to why he wrote the book.  Then there were probably another 20 questions from the audience.  Probably a total of 30 to 35 people there to get a book signed by Mike.  It was very casual and I thought Mike presented himself well (his wife Jackie was also there). 

Just as in the book, Mike did not pull any punches with regard to Melinda.  However the worst "verbage" was for Joe Thomas...whew....not hard seeing why C50 ended so badly.  From his point of view, a lot of promises were made up front that just weren't kept.  I felt sad hearing this, but also felt somewhat uncomfortable sitting 3 seats away from Jackie hearing Mike say the Melinda stuff.  I know the Melinda stuff is attached to Mike working again with Brian so I get why the two are always brought up in the same sentence.  Just feels weird hearing someone talking so negative about someone else's wife. 

A ton of stupid goofy questions from the audience. Best question I heard was from a guy who asked Mike about his relationship with Al.  Very complicated answer but the guy said he thought Mike and Al were a lot alike going back to their TM days, sitting in the front of the plane together, lack of heavy drug use,  etc etc.  Mike initially seemed very surprised that someone would think that he and Al are alike.  He then corrected himself and said, you know what, we are alike in the ways you described.  Mike then went on to say the whole "your fired" letter did not surprise him with how the relationship between Mike/Brian/wives/Joe Thomas etc had deteriorated but it really hurt him that Al was also a part of the letter.  Lastly in a very comforting way, he said he's not surprised that Al feels tied to Brian as it was Brian who got him in the group initially at the start after their high school days together and I'm all right with that.  No mention of the post 98 lawsuits against Al in any of his answers.  My back was KILLING me, and was having to get up and stand in the back.  I had my hand up to ask a question but never got called on.  Mike's wife is a HUGE Cubs fan and game 5 was starting in 30 minutes so everyone was kinda rushed through book signing.

It was a fun couple of hours
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 09:30:10 PM »

Thanks for the barsone.

I felt sad hearing this, but also felt somewhat uncomfortable sitting 3 seats away from Jackie hearing Mike say the Melinda stuff.  I know the Melinda stuff is attached to Mike working again with Brian so I get why the two are always brought up in the same sentence.  Just feels weird hearing someone talking so negative about someone else's wife. 

Yeah, that would make me feel odd too. Good thing I wasn't there, as I'd have said something...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 07:04:11 AM »

Thanks for the report. The book store event kinda sounds like Mike's book. By Mike being so blunt and defensive in some cases, it ironically leads to some insights into Mike and the band that one can't deny are interesting. But I think one of the things that has come more and more into focus is that it appears Mike himself in addition to fans, including fans that have nothing bad to say about Melinda or Brian, might sometimes forget that Melinda is Brian’s freaking wife. It’s his family. Does anyone think Mike would be happy if Brian (or Al, or anyone) made even half of the insinuations about Jackie Love that Mike does about Melinda?

It's a bit preposterous when you think about it. Mike several times in the book describes outrage at his family being attacked (the story about Al haranguing Jackie on tour in the 90s about a backup dancer, the Ambha/Sail on Sailor story), yet he makes far more inflammatory (and loaded) comments about Melinda.

Curious if Mike’s comments on Joe Thomas from this event can be expanded upon. I was surprised that, even though the last several years of Mike’s interviews seemed to point to Mike having a beef with Joe Thomas (despite not often naming him), Mike didn’t really go after Thomas much at all in his book. He seemed to mostly complain about Melinda, and the lack of input on the album (which certainly reflected on Thomas, but Mike didn’t often go directly after Thomas).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 07:40:03 AM »

2barsone: thanks for the info! It's interesting that it differs from city to city. rn57 says Mike was alone & no fan gathering with questions.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 08:12:21 AM »

LOL LOL Only 30-35 people at myKe luHv's book signing? That would have to seriously screw with someone who possesses  an ego like his. I'm sure he'll blame it on the weather and not his smarmy personality.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 01:17:45 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2016, 09:07:39 AM »

Only 30-35 people at myKe luHv's book signing?
I don't know, seems many to me. Don't forget that the BBs fandom, esp. those who bought the book, isn't too big. Maybe people just catch up getting it from Amazon etc.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 11:26:16 PM »

Hey Jude...sorry for the delay....severe computer issues for two weeks.

Your question to me about Mike and Joe Thomas.  As I said in my earlier post, Mike was very clear about his feelings on C50 ending.  Complexity issues started immediately trying to coord the tour simultaneously negotiating with Capitol on TWGMTR.  Issues combining the bands, length etc were all hashed out at the end of 2011 and the beginning of 2012.  In these meetings, agreements were also made with Capitol on TWGMTR and having Joe Thomas come on board.  Mike was to bring "tracks" to the recording sessions to be included on the album..  Its here where things went south, and he termed Joe Thomas as a  "pathological liar".  When Mike got to the sessions, it was then he realized that Joe had the album mostly complete with Brian's old material.  Obviously reading his book, things were going south fast as he left the tour during a studio session where the auto tune was put on the mics and the blow-up with Melinda ensused. 

Again everyone, Mike was calm and clear talking about this stuff.  Being honest, I wish all of you could have been at this event.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 07:07:56 AM »

Hey Jude...sorry for the delay....severe computer issues for two weeks.

Your question to me about Mike and Joe Thomas.  As I said in my earlier post, Mike was very clear about his feelings on C50 ending.  Complexity issues started immediately trying to coord the tour simultaneously negotiating with Capitol on TWGMTR.  Issues combining the bands, length etc were all hashed out at the end of 2011 and the beginning of 2012.  In these meetings, agreements were also made with Capitol on TWGMTR and having Joe Thomas come on board.  Mike was to bring "tracks" to the recording sessions to be included on the album..  Its here where things went south, and he termed Joe Thomas as a  "pathological liar".  When Mike got to the sessions, it was then he realized that Joe had the album mostly complete with Brian's old material.  Obviously reading his book, things were going south fast as he left the tour during a studio session where the auto tune was put on the mics and the blow-up with Melinda ensused. 

Again everyone, Mike was calm and clear talking about this stuff.  Being honest, I wish all of you could have been at this event.

Interesting comments. My first reaction was what original tracks/songs did Mike have to bring to the sessions, and would it have been a song like Pisces Brothers or even dipping back into the Adrian Baker material, or some of the throwback nostalgia types of songs?

That also brings up a point about Mike bringing tracks in general. One of the main points Mike has been mentioning since 2012 has been the notion that he wanted to write songs with Brian, then take that to whatever parameter we read into his various remarks: Start from scratch with Brian, work alone in a room with Brian and a piano, etc. That's different from Mike bringing "tracks" to the project which I'm assuming would be songs or song ideas he had written which would then be worked up in the studio.

Isn't that the same as what he has been saying Brian and Joe did? If Mike agreed to bring in his own tracks, as it sounds from this like he did, isn't that the same working method which he has been criticizing about the project via Brian and Joe's "tracks", versus starting "from scratch" with Brian?

On the last point, the Autotune claims are shaky at best, as discussed elsewhere, unless we are to believe exactly what the book said, that Melinda Wilson herself ordered "live Autotune" devices for each band member and had them attached to the mics. Is that plausible?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 11:57:11 AM »

What's interesting is that Howie Edelson posted about interviewing Mike in late June of 2012 (I believe), which was two months into the tour. So we're talking well after the album was done and released and nearly half-way through the tour itself, most likely (I'm guessing) at a point at which Mike had already started booking his own non-reunion shows, and Mike still seemed to be praising Joe Thomas:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13594.msg294927.html#msg294927

This reads to me more like Mike certainly would have preferred more input on the album, and I can only imagine would have been supremely annoyed by Joe Thomas having more input on and collecting more royalties from the album, but that perhaps Mike's main motivation to disband the reunion was his own, and then he used some other minor or medium-level gripes he had and hung the blame on the reunion dissolving on *those* gripes.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 11:57:44 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 12:34:38 PM »

Didn't Mike bring Daybreak Over the Ocean to the album, a previously recorded song?

If Mike had more control over the album, I think it would have been inferior to what ended up being released.  Mike has not produced any great songs in the last decade, although he has put some recordings out in the public domain.  His often repeated comment that he has a better commercial sense than others in the band doesn't hold up if you look back over the last 20-30 years.     
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 12:41:35 PM »

Mike's clear feelings about the album's ending suite as portrayed in the Rolling Stone article certainly indicates that Mike's taste/opinion on the album and the album's tone was much different (either that, or he was just poo-pooing it solely because he didn't co-write it).

I've *always* felt with the BBs group albums that the best material should win out, regardless of who wrote it. If Brian came in with "Little Children" but Carl had "Angel Come Home", then Carl should get the nod. If Joe Thomas and the guy from Survivor and Bon Jovi can write better stuff than "Alone on Christmas Day" or "Santa's Goin' to Kokomo", then they should get the nod.

Ironically, the stuff from Mike's mid-2000s unreleased album that would have perhaps worked best would have been to have Al sing "Too Cruel" (Christian Love sings it on the extant version from that era). "Cool Head" would have been a better choice had it not been released numerous years prior already.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2016, 04:27:33 PM »

The irony is that Mike is the one that originally brought in Joe Thomas to produce S&S in 1996.  Brian never would have even met Joe otherwise.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 07:12:54 PM »

I'd just be repeating my earlier comments, but there is more irony in what was said at that event considering what has been said since 2012, and what stands out is the beef Mike seems to have had in the past 4 years - Joe and Brian bringing in "old" material - is the same thing Mike did and agreed to do for the project, at least according to those comments. So it's odd short of a clarification to have Mike criticizing the "old" material working M.O. when he did the same thing for the same project. I do now seriously wonder if Mike brought Pisces Brothers to the reunion album table. His own history of re-recording BB's songs and rehashing old material from between 10 and nearly 40 years ago suggests that's the same kind of material he'd bring into a project in 2012. i may be wrong, of course.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2016, 06:22:19 AM »

I think Mike has/had a multi-layered (or shifting) argument concerning the album. He seemed to want to "write from scratch" with Brian, and then after that fell through he wanted to get more of *his* stuff on the album one way or another even if it meant flying in old stuff, and then separately was also I'm guessing pissed that some other guy (Joe) was getting more songwriting credits both in terms of "credit" and songwriting royalties.

The fact that Mike was "Executive Producer" but couldn't get more than one of his old songs flown in is odd, and does make one wonder what else, if anything, he brought in as far as old tracks.

This all also probably helps to explain why Al Jardine was comically shut out of the proceedings with his "Waves of Love" song, even though it was certainly a catchy and innocuous-at-absolute-worst track that even had Carl on it. What's interesting is that while the 2012 Rolling Stone article paints a picture of Brian balking at doing the song, Larry Dvoskin later said that it was *Mike Love* who "c**k-blocked" (Dvoskin's words) the song from being added to the album.

Just as an observer, I see a pattern where Mike does some very human things. Things he won't always admit to, but human nonetheless. One of these things is to stew on stuff, and, despite in his book liking to paint himself as something of a "straight shooter", seems to possibly have a pattern of not saying jack while the event in question is happening, and then way later after stewing on it and no longer having to awkwardly confront anyone directly, all of a sudden has a *litany* of complaints.

I wonder, and this is all guessing and speculation, if there was perhaps a big fat cash guarantee to do the album and tour, and *that's* why Mike seemed to mostly keep his mouth shut while the project was going on.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx