gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:11:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alternative Dennis Wilson Unreleased Solo Album (Hubba Hubba)  (Read 2834 times)
HeroesandVillains
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2016, 11:52:23 AM »

In 1970, Dennis began work on his first solo album, tentatively entitled "Poops" or "Hubba Hubba". The album was unfortunately never finished. Later, Dennis gave two songs he had recorded for his album, Make It Good and Cuddle Up, to the Boys for their next album, CATP.

The album charts at #61 and is critically acclaimed. Rolling Stone calls it "An absolute tour-de-force that perfectly blends hard rock and beautiful ballads" naming it one of the best albums of the year. The sons River Song, Fallin' In Love, Barbara and WITBNTLA are notably praised with Rolling Stone xalling WITBNTLA "The best song by a Beach Boy since God Only Knows". Al Jardine calls the album "Dennis' Pet Sounds", Carl states "Dennis really outdid himself with the album. It's beautiful", Brian stated that the record "blew him away" and that "It was the most amazing thing Dennis has ever done". Mike Love simply said that the album was "Fuckin' Perfect ".
Dennis tours for the album. The tour does well. Dennis performs with the boys again. A new album is released five years later. Pacific Ocean Blue.

Here is my version of the album, using songs from CATP, River Song, several unreleased songs and the rwo songs from Dennis and Daryl Dragon's single.

http://suan.fm/mix/fET7yse
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 02:02:18 PM by HeroesandVillains » Logged
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 12:18:55 PM »

That is an awesome mix! Thanks for sharing that with us! To bad Dennis never recorded River Song in the early 70s aswell! It would have sounded much different as they preformed it live a hand full of times!
HeroesandVillains
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 01:21:56 PM »

That is an awesome mix! Thanks for sharing that with us! To bad Dennis never recorded River Song in the early 70s aswell! It would have sounded much different as they preformed it live a hand full of times!

Yeah man. It would have sounded great on CATP.

There is a version of the Boys recording it in the studio, but the quality is rough and it's mission lyrics from the bridge.

Thanks for the feedback man Smiley
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 02:31:30 PM »

4th of july is GREAT

i thought brian said he never heard dennis's album in a more recent interview

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 12:47:15 AM »

@HeroesandVillains: Thanks for reminding me how much I like Sound Of Free and Lady (Fallin' In Love) (the string arrangement there is absolutely superb!). Smiley
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 01:22:11 AM »

When was "my love lives on" first recorded?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 07:51:59 AM »

I just hope that if they're ever able to do put out another Dennis archival project, they don't call it either "Poops" or "Hubba Hubba." The titles don't exactly reinforce the significant nature of the stuff Dennis was writing and recording at that time.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeroesandVillains
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 08:05:36 AM »

I think around 1974. I've placed that and Carry Me Home on the album really just to pad it out as a twelve song album is much better for Dennis' work.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 08:08:01 AM by HeroesandVillains » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 07:37:06 AM »

I think around 1974. I've placed that and Carry Me Home on the album really just to pad it out as a twelve song album is much better for Dennis' work.

From what we can tell by the existing notation, it seems the piano track was recorded in March '73, and the final vocal in August '74.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 08:36:11 AM »

I would stick to songs recorded or started in 69-73, as I think that would better reflect an actual solo album at that time - 74 is transitional but I would use Barnyard Blues to get a 12th song. 75 plus is POB sessions.

Sound of Free
My Love Lives On
I'm Going Your Way
4th of July
Barnyard Blues
Cuddle Up

Lady
San Miguel
Make It Good
Barbara
"Dennis symphony" (whatever that happens to be)
Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again (with full coda)

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx