gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:51:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello, from a former lurker :)  (Read 7415 times)
delete this account
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2016, 03:00:57 PM »

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:22:31 AM by Statistic No. 129 » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 03:02:36 PM »

Welcome! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 03:05:46 PM »

Has anyone ever completely stopped listening to the Beach Boys? Did you find you were able to "rediscover" their music later on?

Never have stopped, although my level of obsession has waxed and waned.

Welcome to the board!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 03:11:44 PM »

Has anyone ever completely stopped listening to the Beach Boys? Did you find you were able to "rediscover" their music later on?

Never have stopped, although my level of obsession has waxed and waned.

Same here (more or less). Welcome, SN129. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 03:14:54 PM »

Welcome!

I kinda completely stopped for a month or two this last year. It wasn't because I got sick of the music, but other influences were making me tired of this band. But that seems to be far behind me and I'm back to listening to them daily. A while back not a week didn't go by where I didn't listen to Pet Sounds. I'm either listening to Pacific Ocean Blue, cuts from the new Unplugged Party Album, TWGMTR, etc.

The thing with the Beach Boys is they literally have over 50 years of good material (excluding an album or two), and I swear every week I find some new harmony or musical note that I never picked up on before. A former(?) poster once told me he only pulls out SMiLE to listen to once around Christmastime...that way it never gets old and always sounds fresh. I don't have the patience for that, but I love the idea.

Btw, when you explored those new genres did you find anything you really liked? I've been trying to get more into ambient (listening to a lot of Brian Eno), but haven't explored much beyond.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 03:32:28 PM »

Hi SN129 and welcome.
I listened to the Beach Boys a lot when I was a kid; not much in college; a lot mid-late 20s; not much early 30s; then a lot; now waning.
Each little burst, my appreciation has a slightly different angle and I'm noticing new things. Just listen when it strikes you, don't when it doesn't. Leaving and coming back can open new sounds. Or, for me anyway.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 04:53:59 PM »

Welcome! I've been listening since I was a little kid, back then it was Greatest Hits vol 2 on 8-track, and hoping to get change to play I Get Around on those tabletop jukeboxes they had at the Jersey shore when we used to go there.

I listen to so much and so many different styles, sometimes the work element of having to listen, learn, and play all kinds of music in order to teach crowds out the listening for pleasure. But in terms of BB's material, it's the unexpected plays on old-fashioned broadcast radio that spark an interest. I love being surprised by hearing a random BB's cut on the radio, in the car.

For me, I was obsessed with Smile. Every snippet I could hear, I'd listen. And then some. I listened to the "chants" over and over again, while some found them tedious. I found them inspiring and creative.

I went back not long ago, looking for other outtakes, and revisited some of the meat-and-potatoes Smile session tapes I had tucked away. First time I listened in a long time.

Brian calling takes, slating tracks, take after take as Carl delivered a live vocal with a studio full of musicians. Brian was in - make note of this, naysayers - full control over every single note and timbre. Every players position at the mic, he'd call it. Every stray note, he'd call it. Every take that felt just that little bit off, he'd call it. And he was aware of every note and not just that, but every tone and timbre of every note, that he was able to pinpoint how close a reed player was to the mic and adjust accordingly.

That is breathtaking listening, for me. That is what gets the blood pumping, and the inspiration going. A man age 24 with one good ear literally making magic in the studio.

That's why I love Smile. Do I listen every day like I used to? No.

But it's great to come back and visit. Like returning to your hometown and going to that one restaurant that makes a certain dish exactly as you like it. There is no substitute. And it's gratifying beyond words.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 03:27:46 AM »

I've been trying to get more into ambient (listening to a lot of Brian Eno), but haven't explored much beyond.

Rab, this topic may be of some help. I can't vouch for all the links being in place, but it might encourage you to explore some areas further:

http://beachboysforum.freeforums.org/ambient-music-mood-before-melody-t177.html 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 06:49:09 AM »

Thanks John! Listening to Premiers Symptomes now. One thing I love about streaming music services is having nearly every album at your disposal.

Did you hear Air's Le Voyage Dans La Lune? Over the last couple years I find myself gravitating toward it every now and then.

Looking forward to reading/listening to more of the suggestions made in that thread! Thanks again.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 07:01:07 AM »

Did you hear Air's Le Voyage Dans La Lune? Over the last couple years I find myself gravitating toward it every now and then.

Looking forward to reading/listening to more of the suggestions made in that thread! Thanks again.

You're welcome. I'll check out the Air album tonight...

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 07:08:40 AM »

You're welcome. I'll check out the Air album tonight...

It's not very ambient. But much of it is catchy, but it's likewise creepy - which is why I find it odd that I listen to it often.

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 07:59:12 AM »

Welcome from a fellow Love You lover!
I was a huge BB fan as a kid, then stopped listening to them in 1968 (last BB song I listened to at the time was "I Can Hear Music") and resumed 30 years later.
Why did I stop? Misinformation. In the backwoods of Europe the word was they had disbanded about 1969, after their leader, Brian Wilson, had "been deafened by playing bass at too high a volume". I switched to other things, but always cherished my "Smiley Smile", which I had received as a present.
Why did I resume? I was loking for other things in my fav music shop and suddenly I hear Mike's unmistakable bass voice... they were playing the Good Vibrations box set. I forgot what I was looking for and bought it.
Some hours later, I heard the Smile section... and here I am.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 12:29:30 PM »

In the backwoods of Europe the word was they had disbanded about 1969, after their leader, Brian Wilson, had "been deafened by playing bass at too high a volume".

I once read a book where it said the BB split up in 1969 after "lead guitarist Brian Wilson drowned in his swimming pool". Somehow Brian Wilson and Brian Jones got mixed up, I guess Roll Eyes

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 12:34:48 PM »

In the backwoods of Europe the word was they had disbanded about 1969, after their leader, Brian Wilson, had "been deafened by playing bass at too high a volume".

I once read a book where it said the BB split up in 1969 after "lead guitarist Brian Wilson drowned in his swimming pool". Somehow Brian Wilson and Brian Jones got mixed up, I guess Roll Eyes

And also the Beatles and the Beach Boys with the 1969 split up?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 12:48:18 PM »

Oh yeah, there's that too!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx