gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:40:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Missing sections from the 'Smile' album  (Read 11159 times)
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2016, 02:41:34 PM »

Alrightey, this is going to be one hell of a topic of discussion, as it is going to be solely dependant on inferences based on the lost musical material Brian Wilson, The Beach Boys, The Wrecking Crew, the Vosse Posse and just who ever else recorded throughout the burgeoning years of 1966-1967, for a tentative "Teenage Symphony to God" named "Smile." I'm here to ask all of you a question... Ready? Good. How many of you actually KNOW Smile? Not by how the songs go, but are there people out there who have firm knowledge of how Smile was meant to be showcased in 1967? Nope. Heck, if Brian wanted to, he could have just released the Psychedelic Sounds tapes as the Smile album, and we wouldn't be here discussing the topic 50 years from now! Of course that didn't happen, because Wilson obviously had more musical integrity than to commit such blasphemy in the name of music! (I love the Psychedelic Sounds boot, but it is not worthy of a stand-alone release. It could be synced up with some instrumental bits from the Smile project, and I would actually be alright with that, but not if it were a stand-alone release).
The point is, Brian and Van had ideas for Smile, ideas that in theory surpassed the psychedelic-hogwash that was released later that year, known as Sgt. Pepper's (I love that album on it's own, don't get me wrong, however, compared to what Smile was conceived to be, Pepper's was quite weak). Smile was a sort of musical tapestry of sorts, a peak of a man's imagination. A manifestation of history and culture from the past, present, and future, all brought back with an episodic-musical-acid-test, stream-of-consciousness sort of way. This is why we are still so engaged with the legend, the myth, and want to tap into the unknown. What is alleged is that Wilson, at one point during all of this madness, actually had a game-plan of how he was going to pull this all off. Here are suspicions based off of factual information, on how complete Smile actually was-

1. Missing I'm In Great Shape vocals(?)
- It is alleged by those who had once heard the tapes to this missing vocal session that all 6 of The Beach Boys recorded vocals on top of an alternative backing track that wasn't listed in the session books (supposedly). This is backed up by the fact that a very different instrumental version of Great Shape showed up in the Durrie Parks acetates, one that hasn't been heard before. It is described as much more heavier and pulsating. In Jules Siegel's piece written on the Smile sessions, in October(?) 1966, Wilson had a bunch of guests clang their kitchen utensils in a rhythmic way, to create percussive sounds to be used on the album. It is also rumoured that the missing Great Shape piece consisted of these noises, which would make sense since Workshop was written as Great Shape on a tape box, which leads me to believe that the Workshop construction noises were to be preceded by the kitchen utensil version of Great Shape.

- If Great Shape vocals were recorded that October, then why weren't Barnyard vocals recorded? Did Wilson decide to scrap Barnyard all together? Was he going to replace Barnyard with an alleged reworking of the song named Barnyard Billy? (I remember another forum member had questioned its existence).

2. Missing Surf's Up vocals
- Although, this doesn't pose the type of revelations the missing Great Shape piece could pose for the development of Heroes and Villains that October, it is nevertheless important, as it could give us a sense of how complete Smile was that December. We have evidence that it took place because we have another recording of Wonderful, that is circulating, that took place on the same day as the Surf's Up vocal sessions, so it is more than likely that this song was worked on too. If the Beach Boys did go through the song entirely, including Pt. 2, did the fade have Child is The Father of The Man vocals?

3. Missing Look vocals
- This is the most mysterious missing vocal bit from Smile. We have an idea of how Great Shape was supposed to work, based off of Brian's radio demo that November, and we have a released version of Surf's Up, so we also have an idea of how Surf's Up should have went like back then, but we have absolutely no idea what the lyrics were for this song, or what the melody was, etc. And why was this once called I Ran? Was this all connected to Cabin Essence or something? There isn't any information about this missing vocal session besides the fact that it supposedly happened.

4. Surf's Up Pt. 2 Instrumentation
- Wilson claimed in 2004 that the second part to Surf's Up's instrumentation consisted of an unheard string arrangement. Interestingly enough, Jules Siegel described a tracking session for a song consisting of strings circa December/January 1967, which got interrupted, due to Brian getting all worked up and paranoid about Siegel's girlfriend, accusing her of ESP and witchcraft... Those sessions could have been meant for anything, however...

5. With Me Tonight (w/ Bag Of Tricks percussion!!!)
- A member of this forum has claimed he has heard tapes of this song with Bag of Tricks-type percussive arrangements. This version was taped in late 1967.

6. Lost Tones/Tune X vocals
- This was brought forth by another member from this forum... He alleges there were vocal sessions for this song... I would like more insight on this topic, if possible. Could anyone confirm this claim?

7. The Air section from The Elements
- Brian claimed there was a piano piece that was meant to be the Air piece in his Elements suite that he envisioned for Smile. Of course, with all things Smile, it gets a little vague after that. Is there evidence such a piece was even recorded for Smile?

Of course, I can't gone on forever with this. I'd like you all to weigh in, and solve what had been deemed unsolvable. It's been 50 years for God's sake!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 02:35:05 PM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 04:23:28 PM »

Finally, a new topic that isn't about the ongoing Mike vs. Brian debate!

The Brian/Paul recording on "On Top of Old Smokey" from April of '67 comes to mind...

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 11:46:59 PM »

I always thought that the October IMGS session was for Vegetables cornucopia version Huh
Also it hit me that perhaps the session for "I ran" wasn't for Look but for Cabinessence, like you said! Who knows? I mean, they do sing who ran the iron horse, so who knows??
zosobird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 05:06:15 AM »

Regarding your 2nd point on surfs up vocals,  it is well documented that the dec 15? session of wonderful/surfs up was filmed for "inside pop"

multiple accounts tell the story of this session going very badly with members of the group not participating. Could be that the surfs up attempts were erased/dubbed over.

i think this session was pivital for the song in that from this time forward, surfs up was recorded in a strip downed version with piano/vox (dec version and wild honey sessions)... perhaps the earliest hint of change of production direction from smile-> smiley smile
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 01:02:48 PM »

The most interesting topic I've seen in a while!

Jon G.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 03:29:22 PM »

1. IIGS -
who are "those who had once heard the tapes?"  I know of no one reporting that they have heard this tape or know what is on this tape.  What we do know is it was recorded Oct 17th with 6 Beach Boys as the session documents indicate, no session musicians.  So most likely it was the Beach Boys singing to Brian on piano, as he did with other Heroes sessions and Vegatables sessions.  Then an instrumental track is recorded 3 days later, Oct 20th.

The different IIGS instrumental track on the Durrie Parks acetate is unrelated to the vocal session as it was recorded Dec 19th.

I like the idea that the Oct 17th vocal date could have been to record the cornucopia Vegetables, but Vegetables had its' own title (as part of the Elements) according to Frank Holmes' illustrations which were being worked on in October.  Of course Vegetables could very well have been recorded later at the same session.

2. Surf's Up vocals
An attempt to record Surf's Up vocals, along with Who Ran the Iron Horse and Wonderful backing vocals (and maybe the Water chant, but that's off topic), was made Dec 15th while the Inside Pop cameras rolled.  The vocal session "went badly" according to Siegel but there's no indication what that meant.  Went badly from the Inside Pop people's view, that there wasn't anything worth filming as they didn't do any complete songs?  Or went badly because Brian didn't like the results of the session? Brian could be a hard taskmaster and make them do the same vocals over and over again until he was satisfied, and perhaps that's what was going on.  Or because the beach Boys were providing some "resistance" and maybe finding it too difficult to singing the admittedly strange lyrics?  Besides Siegel I don't know of anyone else providing an account of what happened or what went badly meant.

It didn't go too horribly because we have the backing vocals to Wonderful - done to the same track Brian lay down Aug 25th, not a new track, but without his vocals he added in October (the Smile version we all know and love).  This is on TSS (The Smile Sessions).  And I believe the vocals to Who Ran the Iron Horse are what ended up in the released Cabinessence.  So Surf's Up must have been the problematic song and of course Brian recorded it solo after the boys had left.  I have to presume the attempted vocals were wiped - I just wish Brian had just sung Part 1 to the backing track rather than recording the new solo piano version.  I don't think the attempted vocals would have included Child at the end because 1. there was no end - they only had the Part 1 backing track to sing to 2. No mention of child vocals comes up in the Inside Pop notes 3. Brian sings the whole song afterward and there's no Child vocals at the end.

3.  Look/I Ran

This really is a mystery.  To go from Untitled/Look to "I Ran" a month later with a vocal session with 6 Beach Boys, seems to imply some lyrics of some kind must have been written.  But it's also possible that, like with Child, the session was for backing vocals/chorus only, and no real lyrics besides the chorus line of "I Ran Ran Ran" or something like that was ever written or recorded.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 06:23:48 PM »

OK, for the other missing lyrics/sessions:

4.  Surf's Up Part 2 instrumentation

There was a Surf's Up session Jan 23rd with 8 musicians that has been lost.  Was it for a Pt 2 or a remake of Pt 1?  Or for overdubs on to Brian's piano double track vocal version?  I would love it to be the latter but the session isn't noted as an "insert" or "overdub" so that's unlikely.

Following the Surf's Up session Brian recorded something called "Part One."  This WAS a “sweetening session” with strings.  The tape is missing from the archives.  Based on the title it could have been an overdub of Surf’s Up Part One, or perhaps a strangely named overdub for the Surf’s Up session immediately preceding it.  Although it came after the Surf’s Up session, Part One was given an earlier master number 57086.  What significance that has I have no idea.

5.  With Me Tonight with Bag of Tricks percussion

A former member of this forum has claimed to have heard this.  Where do you get the information that this was taped in late 1967?  Since the tape is missing and may not even exist (only one person has claimed to have heard it) and there is no session information for this, when or if it was taped is still shrouded in mystery.  Looking at the With Me Tonight versions we have, all seem to have been taped in June 67, none were recorded during the Smile sessions proper but for Smiley Smile.

6. Tones/Tune X

The track was recorded March 3, 1967 with 5 musicians at Sound Recorders, and vocals recorded March 13 (5 vocalists) also at Sound Recorders.  Session documentation (it's all in craig's sessionography in The Smile Sessions) shows lot of additional work was done on the song, all of which (including the vocals) has been lost.  The tape we do have and which appears on TSS is only the March 3 session, so we have no idea what happened March 15 (3 musicians at Western), March 31 (as Tune X)  (5 musicians at Sound Recorders), and April 11 (as Tones Part 3) (5 musicians at Western).  Since we have a "Part 3" we can assume this was being recorded in sections and was another multi-part song, which I find very strange if indeed this is Carl's song.  Why would Carl imitate the sectional recording method Brian was using for Smile when he could see how difficult that was making the completion of the album, and how Brian seemed to be spinning his wheels and not getting anywhere?  And the same goes for I Don't Know which apparently was also recorded in sections.

7.  The Air section 

Brian says it was a piano instrumental which they never finished.  He didn't say it was actually recorded - it could have been an instrumental he was writing and never finished.  Or it could have been recorded and the recording never finished.  What piano pieces were recorded during Smile without vocals added?  Dada, all the way back to December 66.  The Wind Chimes multi-piano tag, which was recorded for Wind Chimes but interestingly the article in Teen Set describing the piece in glowing terms - the "how does he do it?" piece written by Vosse presumably - does not mention Wind Chimes or it being for a particular song.  The Bicycle Rider piano theme (or "hold On") recorded Feb 15/16 for Heroes and Villains.  That's all I can come up with in terms of tapes in the archive.  There of course could be a missing tape but there should be studio session documentation and there isn't any for a piano instrumental.  It could have been recorded on a tape from another session, at the end, and been erased or taped over at some point.  In terms of extant tapes I think the December Dada is probably the most likely candidate but really I don't believe it was ever recorded.

leetwall97
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 08:21:50 PM »

It is also rumoured that the missing Great Shape piece consisted of these noises, which would make sense since Workshop was written as Great Shape on a tape box, which leads me to believe that the Workshop construction noises were to be preceded by the kitchen utensil version of Great Shape.

I have a theory on why the Friday Night box mentions Great Shape. I've been studying IDK and Tones/Tune X recently, and those pieces were discovered on a tape real containing Wonderful Version 2. I think the reason Friday Night's box had Great Shape written in parentheses is because Great Shape was also on that real. We are missing overdubs of Friday Night too. If you turn up the volume in the quiet parts you can hear extra sound effects bleeding off the musicians headphones. Since we are missing part of the workshop overdubs on Friday Night, it makes since why Great Shape hasn't turned up.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:22:54 PM by leetwall97 » Logged
leetwall97
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 09:06:32 PM »

Looking at the With Me Tonight versions we have, all seem to have been taped in June 67, none were recorded during the Smile sessions proper but for Smiley Smile.

Not true. There's a Vega-Tables With Me Tonight version, and the full song was recorded on Harpsichord in April or March.

Why would Carl imitate the sectional recording method Brian was using for Smile when he could see how difficult that was making the completion of the album, and how Brian seemed to be spinning his wheels and not getting anywhere?
I believe this is because Tune X and IDK were in fact not written by Dennis or Carl. I've yet to see evidence to back up that claim. Can you elaborate more on IDK being recorded in parts as well? Because in Tune X the IDK riff is played twice, and I would like to know if IDK was absorbed into Tune X. Also, I'm beginning to believe that Tune X / IDK was the Barnyard Suite. By this time in March, Brian had finished the H&V single, had recorded the various connecting pieces that would help him form a suite containing H&V DYLW and other smile songs, and was pretty much finishing up the Americana aspect of the album. I bet these sections were a last minute rewrite of discarded material (hence Barnyard Billy [see my posts on the matter]), and they would help glue the remaining threads together.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:08:49 PM by leetwall97 » Logged
leetwall97
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 09:16:08 PM »

3. Missing Look vocals
- This is the most mysterious missing vocal bit from Smile. We have an idea of how Great Shape was supposed to work, based off of Brian's radio demo that November, and we have a released version of Surf's Up, so we also have an idea of how Surf's Up should have went like back then, but we have absolutely no idea what the lyrics were for this song, or what the melody was, etc. And why was this once called I Ran? Was this all connected to Cabin Essence or something? There isn't any information about this missing vocal session besides the fact that it supposedly happened.
I also have a theory on this matter. The song I Ran is based on the tag before the fade in Good Vibrations. The intro to I Ran has the same tempo as that section in Good Vibrations, which has led me to believe that Good Vibrations was meant to cut into I Ran. Mr proof can be found here. Be sure to listen to the whole thing to hear Good Vibrations' fade return after I Ran. I Highly doubt I Ran lyrically connected with Iron Horse, but it is an interesting idea, and it's not far left field since Holidays has Rock, rock, roll in it.
https://vimeo.com/182498068
Anyways, if this is the case (and I think it is) with I Ran, then it explains why we're missing the instrumental and Vocal overdubs. All the music we have for Smile is incomplete. ALL OF IT is missing something. Wonderful is missing it's tag, Heroes and Villains is completely missing, you mentioned Surf's Up. Not one master from Smile has survived, but that doesn't mean it never existed.

Another interesting point to consider is the mis-labling of Holidays as Tune X and I Ran as Holidays on the tape boxes. Were the overdubs for Look really for Holidays? Was Tune X and rewritten version of Holidays since Love to Say Dada / All Day replaced it?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:47:57 PM by leetwall97 » Logged
leetwall97
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 09:46:21 PM »

« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:47:45 PM by leetwall97 » Logged
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 01:47:25 AM »

Looking at the With Me Tonight versions we have, all seem to have been taped in June 67, none were recorded during the Smile sessions proper but for Smiley Smile.

Not true. There's a Vega-Tables With Me Tonight version, and the full song was recorded on Harpsichord in April or March.

Why would Carl imitate the sectional recording method Brian was using for Smile when he could see how difficult that was making the completion of the album, and how Brian seemed to be spinning his wheels and not getting anywhere?
I believe this is because Tune X and IDK were in fact not written by Dennis or Carl. I've yet to see evidence to back up that claim. Can you elaborate more on IDK being recorded in parts as well? Because in Tune X the IDK riff is played twice, and I would like to know if IDK was absorbed into Tune X. Also, I'm beginning to believe that Tune X / IDK was the Barnyard Suite. By this time in March, Brian had finished the H&V single, had recorded the various connecting pieces that would help him form a suite containing H&V DYLW and other smile songs, and was pretty much finishing up the Americana aspect of the album. I bet these sections were a last minute rewrite of discarded material (hence Barnyard Billy [see my posts on the matter]), and they would help glue the remaining threads together.

Don't get me wrong, but  I believe Mark Linett when he says there was no Smile album in 1966 or 1967, or something that would resemble finished product (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw09zOhZ_Ck&index=12&list=RDYmHm7qEnhng) .
I would LOVE that there was a finished product, or even Americana side,  but let's face it I think that only HV (cantina version), and maybe Prayer, Wind chimes and Fire (not the Elements, if ever there was such track) were finished. Other songs were in pieces (Do you like worms, Child is father of the man, Cabinessence, Wonderful, Old master painter, Vegetables...).
And that is a great regret, like VDP said!
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 05:12:12 AM »

For me, the greatest "missing piece" mystery is... what would have been the lead vocal for "Worms"? The BWPS version, Roll Plymouth Rock, is epic and wonderful, but I am convinced that the 1967 version would have been after the tantalising, much more uptempo snippet Brian sings in Disc 3 of the Smile Sessions.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 06:22:50 AM »

For me, the greatest "missing piece" mystery is... what would have been the lead vocal for "Worms"? The BWPS version, Roll Plymouth Rock, is epic and wonderful, but I am convinced that the 1967 version would have been after the tantalising, much more uptempo snippet Brian sings in Disc 3 of the Smile Sessions.

Yes! There was a phenomenal thread on here a couple years ago that delved deeply into this exact snippet. I'll try to find it and post the link.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 07:03:45 AM »

I'm convinced that the BWPS melody is the original intended one for the original SMiLE album. I mean, Van Dyke Parks was with Brian and Darian when they put the missing pieces together (at least on the phone with them in the case of DYLW), surely he would've corrected Brian if the melody was actually supposed to be something else! The vocal melody heard on BWPS had to surely have come from somewhere. The fact that Brian was able to recall it possibly shows that some form of vocal sessions were held for DYLW. Whether it was an actual studio recording session that is now lost, or Brian just taught it to whoever was supposed to sing lead (I think Carl would've been a good choice), they definitely got pretty far with the track before it was all scrapped.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 07:14:10 AM »

I'm convinced that the BWPS melody is the original intended one for the original SMiLE album. I mean, Van Dyke Parks was with Brian and Darian when they put the missing pieces together (at least on the phone with them in the case of DYLW), surely he would've corrected Brian if the melody was actually supposed to be something else! The vocal melody heard on BWPS had to surely have come from somewhere. The fact that Brian was able to recall it possibly shows that some form of vocal sessions were held for DYLW. Whether it was an actual studio recording session that is now lost, or Brian just taught it to whoever was supposed to sing lead (I think Carl would've been a good choice), they definitely got pretty far with the track before it was all scrapped.

I never even thought about Carl singing that lead, but that sounds incredible in my mind.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 07:26:13 AM »

I'm convinced that the BWPS melody is the original intended one for the original SMiLE album. I mean, Van Dyke Parks was with Brian and Darian when they put the missing pieces together (at least on the phone with them in the case of DYLW), surely he would've corrected Brian if the melody was actually supposed to be something else!

I'm convinced both had forgotten.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 07:46:44 AM »

Yes! There was a phenomenal thread on here a couple years ago that delved deeply into this exact snippet. I'll try to find it and post the link.
Rab, I think the thread you speak of has resurfaced lately:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11527.0.html

In that thread there are also two attempts to "complete" the melody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYu12MpBqdU           (from page 3 of the thread)

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RpdU8Bep28           (from page 4)

The latter sounds exactly like I've "heard" the melody in my head since I first listened to it. I sing it now and then. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 07:54:20 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 07:53:32 AM »

6. Lost Tones/Tune X vocals
- This was brought forth by another member from this forum... He alleges there were vocal sessions for this song... I would like more insight on this topic, if possible. Could anyone confirm this claim?

I'm gonna veer this off-topic for a second. A guy recorded a phenomenal mash-up of Tune-X and Little Pad back in 2000. The lyrics/melody of Little Pad fit perfectly over Tune-X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHAf8zavRG8

If the Beach Boys recorded something remotely similar to this I would have to change my list of top 10 favorite Beach Boys songs to include such a track.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 07:56:15 AM »

Rab, I think the thread you speak of has resurfaced lately:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11527.0.html

In that thread there are also two attempts to "complete" the melody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYu12MpBqdU           (from page 3 of the thread)

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RpdU8Bep28           (from page 4)

The latter sounds exactly like I've "heard" the melody in my head since I first listened to it. I sing it now and then. Smiley

Thanks! That's exactly it.

That first example makes me wish so badly, if that melody was indeed the true 66/67 melody, that this song was finished back then.

leetwall97
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 12:06:19 PM »

This Little Pad Tune X discovery is outa-sight! I'm gonna make a rough vocal guide for Tune X. The only thing we need are the chords for Tune X. Has anyone on the forum ever written chords for Tones? With the chords we can confirm if Tune X became Little Pad. It's ironic that another Smile song (Child Is Father of the Man), was reworked and titled Little Bird. Is there any other Beach Boys songs that start with the word Little? There might be some clues left waiting out there to be discovered.

If Little Pad is Tune X, the only question I have is "Did the original Tones vocals sing about a Little Pad in Hawaii?" Because the instrumentation proves otherwise.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 12:28:51 PM »

There have been discussions on it here before. Apparently the consensus is that they are not related. However, as Bossaroo says in this thread, given they were recorded so close to one another there could be a connection - I'm inclined to agree.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11532.msg235241.html#msg235241

leetwall97
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2016, 12:32:53 PM »

There have been discussions on it here before. Apparently the consensus is that they are not related. However, as Bossaroo says in this thread, given they were recorded so close to one another there could be a connection - I'm inclined to agree.

Most definitely! IDK is just a quick riff that is contained in Tune X twice. It's found right before the chorus.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2016, 01:00:04 PM »

Most definitely! IDK is just a quick riff that is contained in Tune X twice. It's found right before the chorus.

Whoa, I never made that connection before. I'd really like to know more about these three tracks (Little Pad, Tune X, IDK)

soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2016, 01:19:18 PM »

This Little Pad Tune X discovery is outa-sight! I'm gonna make a rough vocal guide for Tune X. The only thing we need are the chords for Tune X. Has anyone on the forum ever written chords for Tones? With the chords we can confirm if Tune X became Little Pad. It's ironic that another Smile song (Child Is Father of the Man), was reworked and titled Little Bird. Is there any other Beach Boys songs that start with the word Little? There might be some clues left waiting out there to be discovered.

If Little Pad is Tune X, the only question I have is "Did the original Tones vocals sing about a Little Pad in Hawaii?" Because the instrumentation proves otherwise.

Please excuse my kaleidoscope eyes but...

Tune X seems to be something like
verse - G Dsus4 G Dsus4
prechorus - Em  A  Em C D
chorus - G  G7 C D F G C F G C

Little Pad chords are here http://www.surfermoon.com/tabs/little_pad_uku.html

The Tune X chorus is a common I-IV-V.  The Little Pad chorus is a common I-ii-V.  Similar but different.  Also note that Tune X is credited to Carl but Little Pad to Brian.  

Signs point to unprobable that they are connected...

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx