gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681337 Posts in 27635 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 04, 2024, 08:48:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ian Lee interviews Mike Love  (Read 23709 times)
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2016, 07:38:39 AM »

I just had a strange and very unwelcome experience. I had clicked on a link that had nothing to do with Mike Love and ended up listening to the Iain Lee interview. Lee said 'There seems to be a strand of people who are angry with you..'

A strand? Mike could make a whole series of wigs with the strands who are angry with him.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2016, 07:51:00 AM »

The thing is, if the idea is to get a good, non-formulaic interview, then feeding Mike a question about how he's vilified is a bad idea, even if you agree that he's unfairly pegged as a villain. You *know* he's going to go into his same talking points, *especially* since he has the book coming out. He's going to sell the book as the answer to his critics. If you want the thing to be a puff piece for Mike to promote his book and his tour, then an interview is easy.

But there are ways to pose questions that at least get closer to forcing Mike out of that interview comfort zone. You can bring up the topic of Mike being perceived as a villain without simply saying "So, some people don't like you. What do you make of that?"

That Rolling Stone guy did it back in February, and by God he *almost* got Mike to actually admit a fault and, more importantly, got Mike to delve into a few things he doesn't in a typical fluff interview. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2016, 08:12:26 AM »

It's just another missed opportunity as I think about it a day later. I'll refrain from anything about Iain Lee for the moment, but I will say this interview had a guy asking questions who came off as starstruck if not gushing as a fan interviewing Mike, and i thought there would be some opportunities to open up some new topics.

Or, unless it is truly a lost art, to simply talk and have an actual interaction and conversation. The closest this got was the lost sax, because that was a brand new story and it obviously was a "feel good" story that made Mike happy to tell it, and it was not scripted or canned. *That* is what I like to hear and read - something natural on both sides.

Instead it was more of the same. I agree with "Juice" that it was cool hearing about the Everly Brothers harmony, of course Brian and Mike doing Devoted To You is one of the more sublime and perfect covers the group ever released, mostly due to the blend. And we've heard Brian and Mike used to head out to Brian's car and listen to the radio when they were young, and harmonize with the songs. So, is that new info? No - But it's something positive and personal. I like that.

What I don't like is the deflection and shifting the actual question to a talking point, the Full House shift from a question about making the Sunflower album was just one example. Another was a topic about longevity and still performing in one's 70's on stage, and it turned into what felt like another finger-wag on "lifestyle choices". Whether intentional or not, it felt like another dead-stare aimed at the Wilson brothers. Perhaps because it has been said so many times in past interviews, it's almost like par for the course to raise the point. But why?

Why deflect and shift answers to talking points at all? It feels too canned, whether it's Mike or someone doing a publicity stop for a new comedy film on the late night chat shows.

Having said that, the last minute or so of this interview revealed a lot. I can't help but agree this whole "woe is me, I'm leaving" thing from the get-go was the people here getting punk'd.

If Iain wanted to, he was offered a chance to converse and dialogue here about his Record Collector article. He obviously wasn't here to do that.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:12:58 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2016, 12:53:20 PM »

This likely ISN'T the thread to do it in but we should consider opening up one where we can ask Mike some REAL questions.  [And...Absolutely NO girls of the sand required....'cause YOUR ship has both sailed and sank.]

Question O N E?

1.  Hey Mike/Eddy...  Have you E V E R considered hiring a PR firm to help you deal with a better future for both YOU, personally, and for the [so-called/BRI endorsed] Beach Boys as a TRUE corporate money maker?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Oh...and Iain?  He's just a wannabee.  How could he have blown it so?  Oh wait.  I know.  Mike-Eddy is a persuasive so and so.  [in his own 1/2-assed and obvious style.]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 12:58:41 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2016, 12:57:36 PM »

The interview wasn't scripted.  I suggested to Iain he ask Mike about the sax.  Maybe he was going to anyway, but it was nice when he did.  And it was good of Iain to ask some of us for a bit of input before the interview.  It was also a good way to start the interview by playing "Only With You" and "Add Some Music". The idea was to get Mike into talking about Dennis, which he did in a favourable manner, and also about some more 'deep' cuts.  

Also, how many people would ask Mike about cunnilingus?  It got a laugh and also some warmth towards Dennis.

Mike didn't sound condescending towards The Wilson's and drugs at any point like he has in the past.

Also, Brian has said SMiLE didn't come out because, "I was taking a lot of drugs and they messed with my mind".  Mike says it and people get offended.

And I think Mike was a better and more relaxed interview subject than Brian would have been.

I think Iain did a good job with this one.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2016, 12:59:36 PM »

Oh?   Do You?

LOL

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2016, 01:02:32 PM »

Also, Brian has said SMiLE didn't come out because, "I was taking a lot of drugs and they messed with my mind".  Mike says it and people get offended.

because Michael always says it in a derogatory way, and never hesitates to bring it up on every occasion/reason, not just with Smile.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2016, 01:29:27 PM »

Also, Brian has said SMiLE didn't come out because, "I was taking a lot of drugs and they messed with my mind".  Mike says it and people get offended.

because Michael always says it in a derogatory way, and never hesitates to bring it up on every occasion/reason, not just with Smile.

Have you had the chance to listen to the interview yet all the way through?
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2016, 01:34:29 PM »

Oh?   Do You?

LOL

Yip!

I also used to love that picture of you and Mike in happier times which you used to have as your profile picture.  Nice!  Cheesy
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2016, 01:36:13 PM »

Hey-Zuse!!!  This shyte ain't new?  It's the same old/same old Mike-Eddy diatrab...with a touch of catsup and 'musturd'.

The guy hasn't had a new thought of NOTE since Aruba/Jamaica.  {"sh*t on a stick THAT rhymes!!!  Who knew?  Well...not me.  But...I'm BACK!!!"}
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True...I used THAT pic for awhile.  The current one is of me MC'ing live on stage with Mike's Beach Boys 13 months ago.  I was WILLING to give the guy a  little 'lee'-way/the benefit of the doubt/a chance/reason to make things RIGHT...for a change.  But NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.  Mike-Eddy prefers to go with the same. tired, 'ye olde' bullshit which has been his ever-so-sorry game plan for over 50 useless and boring years.

May he suffer expensively...and for the rest of his greedy days.  [the almost NO -talent bum.]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 01:45:09 PM by Add Some » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2016, 01:44:54 PM »

Have you had the chance to listen to the interview yet all the way through?

Yes, last night (technically early this morning...depends on which way you look at it LOL)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2016, 03:27:45 PM »

The interview wasn't scripted.  I suggested to Iain he ask Mike about the sax.  Maybe he was going to anyway, but it was nice when he did.  And it was good of Iain to ask some of us for a bit of input before the interview.  It was also a good way to start the interview by playing "Only With You" and "Add Some Music". The idea was to get Mike into talking about Dennis, which he did in a favourable manner, and also about some more 'deep' cuts.  

Also, how many people would ask Mike about cunnilingus?  It got a laugh and also some warmth towards Dennis.

Mike didn't sound condescending towards The Wilson's and drugs at any point like he has in the past.

Also, Brian has said SMiLE didn't come out because, "I was taking a lot of drugs and they messed with my mind".  Mike says it and people get offended.

And I think Mike was a better and more relaxed interview subject than Brian would have been.

Of course you would if you're in touch with him. Just for the facts, Mike said exactly this:

"Brian had a bad experience with LSD and decided he didn't want to finish it" - Mike on Smile.

And that does offend me in a historical and factual sense as it's something he seems to have invented out of thin air. To peg the entire issue of Smile not coming out on Brian having a bad acid trip is not only wrong, it's silly.

Maybe that's why Iain Lee put this board at the top of his wishlist for mass killings, joking of course but still...Maybe the facts become too pesky when they don't agree with what the fact-checkers (who seem to be asleep on the job these days) might try to say.

Fact-check the accuracy of that comment about a bad LSD trip being the reason why Smile never came out in '67 and get back to us with the data, please. I'll wait.

And as far as Dennis, did you miss the half-dozen word sidestep that diverted the topic from making Sunflower to anything that would include the terms "Full House" and "Uncle Jesse"?

I was hoping for an interview - the majority of that was canned answers and an infomercial. That's not as much Iain's fault until it got to the last minute, then it felt like all was explained going back to his jokes about killing members here and his woe-is-me routine. So much for professionalism from a radio host.

What he could have asked Mike about was politics and political views, all things including Iain's recent history considered. That would have been interesting. Especially since Iain himself lost a gig due to the radical, misguided application of media censorship fueled by ideological outrage, while Mike gave seed money to the PMRC who advocated censorship in music and lyrics.

Instead we got same old, same old. Again.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2016, 04:36:43 PM »

Of course you would if you're in touch with him. Just for the facts, Mike said exactly this:

"Brian had a bad experience with LSD and decided he didn't want to finish it" - Mike on Smile.

And that does offend me in a historical and factual sense as it's something he seems to have invented out of thin air. To peg the entire issue of Smile not coming out on Brian having a bad acid trip is not only wrong, it's silly.

Maybe that's why Iain Lee put this board at the top of his wishlist for mass killings, joking of course but still...Maybe the facts become too pesky when they don't agree with what the fact-checkers (who seem to be asleep on the job these days) might try to say.

Fact-check the accuracy of that comment about a bad LSD trip being the reason why Smile never came out in '67 and get back to us with the data, please. I'll wait.

And as far as Dennis, did you miss the half-dozen word sidestep that diverted the topic from making Sunflower to anything that would include the terms "Full House" and "Uncle Jesse"?

I was hoping for an interview - the majority of that was canned answers and an infomercial. That's not as much Iain's fault until it got to the last minute, then it felt like all was explained going back to his jokes about killing members here and his woe-is-me routine. So much for professionalism from a radio host.

What he could have asked Mike about was politics and political views, all things including Iain's recent history considered. That would have been interesting. Especially since Iain himself lost a gig due to the radical, misguided application of media censorship fueled by ideological outrage, while Mike gave seed money to the PMRC who advocated censorship in music and lyrics.

I am amazed and impressed that you had the patience to listen and weed through this creature's "interview."  I feel fairly certain that you weren't expecting professionalism from him.  I never would.  I simply didn't have the stomach for it.  Congrats for your fortitude.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2016, 05:08:24 PM »

Was Mike's speech auto-tuned?

:D

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2016, 09:03:16 PM »

Has any interviewer ever asked Mike to explain the discrepancy between the omission of mentioning his own attitude contributing to (not *causing*) messing up that album's creative process, contrasted with Brian emotionally calling Mike's attitude out as being a contributing factor (along with drugs, of course) in the Beautiful Dreamer documentary? It could be asked respectfully by the right person, right?

I would just like to know what Mike would say about that, because he would either have to call Brian a liar, or claim that someone in the mid 2000s (not the Landy era) was forcing Brian to say something completely false, at the deep expense of someone else, on camera, against Brian's own will. And I'm not sure Mike would bring himself to actually make that claim. Would the interview just end?

I bet Mike wishes that DVD didn't exist.  I mean, it was and remains a popular documentary - the only official in-depth documentary on one of the most famous albums ever - that many fans of the band have seen. It's not some discredited rag like Brian's original Landy-era "bio".

I would think it's pretty silly to just avoid that discrepancy for a decade, hoping that nobody notices. Honestly... As a fan, am I to just expect to pretend that Brian never said such a thing? Denial's a powerful drug, but I won't take that drug. What's a new fan who sees the documentary, then hears Mike's interview, supposed to think?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 09:30:41 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2016, 02:10:11 AM »

I haven't listened to the whole interview but the comment about SMiLE - it's one thing for Brian to blame himself and quite another for Mike to blame Brian. Brian is generally a non confrontational person and is unlikely to say something that he knows would generate a lot of questions. He will go for the easy option. Mike is well aware of the fact that it's more complicated than JUST the drugs. It's more complicated than JUST Mike too, but he had a part in it. His relationship with Van Dyke Parks wasn't helpful, just for starters. I remember reading an interview with the Beach Boys during the C50. The interviewer wrote that when Mike was making some comments about SMiLE, Brian zoned out, the inference being that Brian was far from happy about what was being said.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2016, 03:14:44 AM »

I haven't listened to the whole interview but the comment about SMiLE - it's one thing for Brian to blame himself and quite another for Mike to blame Brian. Brian is generally a non confrontational person and is unlikely to say something that he knows would generate a lot of questions. He will go for the easy option. Mike is well aware of the fact that it's more complicated than JUST the drugs. It's more complicated than JUST Mike too, but he had a part in it. His relationship with Van Dyke Parks wasn't helpful, just for starters. I remember reading an interview with the Beach Boys during the C50. The interviewer wrote that when Mike was making some comments about SMiLE, Brian zoned out, the inference being that Brian was far from happy about what was being said.

I remember an interview during C50 with Brian, Al and Mike on camera and the woman asking them about the influence of drugs. Brian sat up and asked "First of all, who did drugs?" turned to Mike and said "Did you do drugs?" to which Al couldn't hold on and burst out laughing... I have to see if I can find that online somewhere...  Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2016, 04:54:44 AM »

I remember an interview during C50 with Brian, Al and Mike on camera and the woman asking them about the influence of drugs. Brian sat up and asked "First of all, who did drugs?" turned to Mike and said "Did you do drugs?" to which Al couldn't hold on and burst out laughing... I have to see if I can find that online somewhere...  Grin

Hilarious!

The thing is would we have had SMiLE without drugs? It isn't just a black and white issue - whatever harm drugs may do, they can make a difference to creative output. I read a recent article about Australian researchers finding clay pipes from Shakespeare's garden and identifying some drugs from them.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2016, 05:21:26 AM »

Hahahaha. You have to find that. That's why we love Brian.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2016, 05:47:46 AM »

There you go:

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/09/14/world/asia/hong-kong-beach-boys-stout/index.html

Second video  Cheesy

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2016, 06:02:05 AM »

There you go:

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/09/14/world/asia/hong-kong-beach-boys-stout/index.html

Second video  Cheesy
That's a great little collection of interview snips. The interviewer is good and the dynamic among Alan, Brian and Mike is really interesting. Thanks!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2016, 06:21:15 AM »

Just to be clear.  I'm only in touch with Iain through the public forums.  I still think he did a good job.  He brought up songs, and topics the average interviewer wouldn't know about.

And for all those who criticise the same old Mike answers how many times does Brian not give the same old answers?  A bit of balance is required folks.  At least Mike sounds interested in the interviews.  Brian rarely does which is his prerogative and not a problem with me.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2016, 06:59:02 AM »

We've gotten to a point here where Mike can do no good anymore. This ended up looking like Mike Wheeler's forum ca. 1997.

Mike gets topical in interviews aimed at newer audiences, yet fans who read every single little interview he gives, post the same fucking comments about them every time. Talk about being repetitive and not being able to let go... The comments about how the interviewer should have posed the questions in order to obtain certain answers are as hilarious as they are pathetic.

The interview was lovely, by the way.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2016, 07:04:59 AM »

We've gotten to a point here where Mike can do no good anymore. This ended up looking like Mike Wheeler's forum ca. 1997.

You say that like that's bad.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2016, 08:23:46 AM »

Mike gets topical in interviews aimed at newer audiences, yet fans who read every single little interview he gives, post the same fucking comments about them every time. Talk about being repetitive and not being able to let go... The comments about how the interviewer should have posed the questions in order to obtain certain answers are as hilarious as they are pathetic.

The interview was lovely, by the way.

Well said, Autotune.  Glad there is still some balance around here!  Cheesy
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx