gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 01:22:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wind Chimes Chorus Lyrics and Prelude Melody (starting on Pg 5 bottom)  (Read 22381 times)
leetwall97
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2016, 12:37:01 PM »

A quick Update.

Barnyard Billy still remains a mystery. Tune X and IDK are actually early versions of Little Pad! You can catch up on the progress here:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,24381.msg589573.html#msg589573
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2016, 04:41:03 PM »

What about the technical supportyard Billy C. Mystery.  Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2016, 04:44:22 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Tacos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2016, 11:13:18 PM »

True confession:
Barnyard is my favorite!

Any version. The demo on the documentary soundtrack. The versions on the bootlegs. And definitely the official Smile sessions version. I love that song.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2016, 05:21:48 AM »

The truth is that "Barnyard Billy" was written by Zeppo Wilson before it was stolen by Dennis for "I Don't Know". After they fought over the song on an airport tarmac, Dennis was inspired to write "Barnyard Blues". Which was supposed to be the centerpiece of Pet Sounds.

We know this because all of those songs are tuned to A440.

"Billy" was a character inspired by a hobo that Zeppo encountered when he was riding the rails during his barely-documented beat phase (which intrigued Brian to no end), he was always pestering Zeppo for anecdotes that he could use for a sprawling "Depression" suite, to be the centerpiece of the even more ambitious "History Follies" album that he was already frenziedly planning as a triumphant follow-up to Smile. Zeppo would get so amped while recounting the wandering bum's travails and misadventures that he would forget to use the bathroom and wet himself, which always repelled Brian and, along with his drug consumption, the ongoing Capitol royalty dispute, his inability to put the pieces of Smile together (first things first), and Mike's opposition to any deviation from the formula, was the main reason for his eventually souring on the project and scrapping the idea altogether.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:58:04 PM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2016, 07:27:26 AM »

Strange that nobody mentions when Barnyard Billy joined Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page to found the Barnyardbirds.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2016, 09:42:55 AM »

Actually it should be "Barnyard Billy LOVED  Wink His Chickens."  LOL that reminds me I need to go to a farm for a couple hours,,,will be back...
leetwall97
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2016, 04:09:30 PM »

As it had been discovered / brought to my attention in a previous thread that can be found here:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,24381.0.html
Tune X is an early version of Little Pad. When Smile was scrapped, Tune X / I Don't Know was reworked into Little Pad. I have made 2 videos to illustrate the similarities.

A Tune X vocal guide done by yours truly
https://vimeo.com/182737810

Little Pad reworked in the style of Tune X
https://vimeo.com/182744665

Only a few questions about these pieces remain. What was the point of recording I Don't Know if Tune X contains the very same riff? Does the master of Tune X that survived contain the extra Instrumental Overdub done several days later under the supervision of Brian? And finally, what are the lyrics? The instrumentation doesn't sound like a song about Hawaii.

Btw, I've sat down at the piano and found the chords for Tune X. They are:

Verse 1
G/D   C/E
G/D   C/E

Bridge 1
Em   C
Em   A   D   
G/G-G-F-F

Quick Chorus
C   Dm   Em-Dm-C
C   Dm   Em-Dm-C
C   Dm

Verse 2
G/D   C/E
G/D   C/E

Bridge 2
Em   C
Em   A   D   
G/G-G-F-F

Long Chorus
C   Dm   Em-Dm-C
C   Dm   Em-Dm-C
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 04:34:25 PM by leetwall97 » Logged
leetwall97
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2016, 04:21:49 PM »

Child Is Father of the Man is (in my opinion) and extremely interesting song on the Smile album. I've always loved the instrumentation and especially the scat background vocals on it. The biggest question surrounding the piece (besides the lyrics), was "how did the melody go". In a previous thread I pointed out how Little Pad on Smiley Smile is a reworking of the piece known as Tune X / IDK from the Smile Sessions. That thread can be found here:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,24391.0.html

Little Bird from the Friends album is another reworking of a Smile song (specifically CFM). The Melody, instrumentation and trumpet tag are direct copies of CFM, just with Dennis Wilson's "contributions" to the piece (contributions consisting of splitting verses in half and changing the keys of different sections. And let us not forget Stephen Kalinich's lyrics!).

Using the melodies from Little Bird, we now have an original melody line. Just as I have done with Little Pad, I have made two video to help illustrate the new melodies.

Child Is Father of the Man Vocal Guide, done by yours truly (vox are a little pitchy. sorry!)
https://vimeo.com/182779362

I've also arranged Little Bird to follow the pattern of Child Is Father of the Man
https://vimeo.com/182771925

Now all we need is lyrics! It's interesting how the Chorus Vocals lead right into the Verse Vocals. I assume the lyrics would've been very Steamboat Mary-esque.
For example:

Mary had a steamboat,
the steamboat had a bell.
Mary went to heaven
and the steamboat went to Hell–

O operator, please give me number 9
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 04:28:52 PM by leetwall97 » Logged
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2016, 11:20:08 PM »

Tune X is an early version of Little Pad.

Nice singing, but no, it's not. Tune X is just a composition that may accommodate the melody of Little Pad via semi-related chords. They both have extremely generic progressions.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2016, 11:26:06 PM »

I agree the two songs are related and made this mash-up some time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7CW9ZzbTYE
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2016, 12:21:38 PM »

The songs are as related to each other as Do You Like Worms, Cabinessence, Little Children, and Too Much Sugar, which all alternate between the chords F and B♭.

Even those Tune X chords the OP wrote out alternate between the tonic (I) and the subdominant (IV). Which ultimately diverges significantly from the progression of Little Pad.

It's like calling I'm Waiting for the Day an "early version" of My Mary Anne. It's not. They just use similar music devices. Brian happens to recycle them frequently.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 12:28:24 PM by terrei » Logged
leetwall97
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2016, 04:22:51 PM »

The songs are as related to each other as Do You Like Worms, Cabinessence, Little Children, and Too Much Sugar, which all alternate between the chords F and B♭.

That's true, but Do You Like Worms' Verses are only related to Cabin Essence's Chorus. Plus they were meant to flow together so it was done on purpose. Little Children's verses mix with the rest, yeah. But just the verses. Not the rest of the song. That's what makes this discovery stand out; IT'S THE ENTIRE SONG that fits with Tune X.

Even those Tune X chords the OP wrote out alternate between the tonic (I) and the subdominant (IV). Which ultimately diverges significantly from the progression of Little Pad.

Little Pad is in a different order than Tune X. That's what they did on Smiley Smile. Change the order of the left-over fragments and put them in different keys. A great example would be the Heroes & Villains version of Smiley Smile. Let's dissect it.

The Heroes and Villains version found on Smiley Smile is a combination of Side A and Side B of the Smile Version of H&V. Brian stole the Part 2 Insert from Side B and put it in the place of Bridge to Indians on the Verses in Smiley Smile.

So basically, the versions of songs on Smiley Smile DO NOT MATCH the versions found on Smile. I'd imagine the key changes on the different H&V singles differ considerably.

It's like calling I'm Waiting for the Day an "early version" of My Mary Anne. It's not. They just use similar music devices. Brian happens to recycle them frequently.

I didn't say Little Pad was an EXACT COPY of Tune X. It's missing the I Don't Know riff. But I'd imagine if your gonna re-produce a song of yours that was scrapped with a different project, you might change some parts of it around. I recommend you go and look at my Little Bird is Child Is Father of the Man thread. You will notice there how Dennis split the verses of CFM into two halves, and changed the keys of both of them. The same thing happens on the chorus of little pad. The last third of the chorus changes keys, so it can flow better with the new order.

The new order of Little Pad is:
Short Verse-Chorus-Bridge-Verse-Chorus-Bridge-Verse-Chorus

The order of Tune X is:
Verse-Bridge-Short Chorus-Verse-Bridge-Long Chorus

Little Pad reverses the order of Bridge-Chorus into Bridge-Verse, so yes, the changes are different but that's the pattern of Smiley Smile. If I can take an ENTIRE song's melody, put it in a different Key and apply it to a different piece, then they're related. And that's all I'm saying here.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 04:28:32 PM by leetwall97 » Logged
leetwall97
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2016, 04:30:57 PM »

I agree the two songs are related and made this mash-up some time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7CW9ZzbTYE

I should've just posted this instead! Boy this makes me wish they'd give us Stack-o-tracks for Smiley Smile!

Or how about an even better idea! A Box set for Smiley Smile! The Smiley Smile Sessions
leetwall97
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2016, 04:33:19 PM »

Tune X is an early version of Little Pad.

Nice singing, but no, it's not. Tune X is just a composition that may accommodate the melody of Little Pad via semi-related chords. They both have extremely generic progressions.

Thanks you, and yes that's true. But it amazes me that it accommodates the entire song's melody. I think it's likely. They were recorded 3 months apart. And Little Pad was recorded on an album that revolves around rehashing left overs from Smile.

And go check out my CFM is Little Bird thread! I want to hear opinions on those melodic ideas. Hopefully someone else will be inspired and do a better voice over
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 04:34:13 PM by leetwall97 » Logged
leetwall97
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2016, 08:21:24 PM »

The Tag to Child Is Father of the Man was labeled as a Cabin Essence Section. It was also overdubbed with Guitars, Carl doing the lead. Once overdubbed, the piano track was removed. Wonder what kind of guitars they used?

The June version of With Me Tonight on Harpsichord was noted as a Vega-Tables section. Sounds to me like it was a B-Side for the then single. Which is odd, because Brian held one more sweetening session for H&V Part 1 and 2 around this time.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 03:19:55 PM by leetwall97 » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2016, 08:46:02 PM »

Brian definitely contributed to the section of Little Bird that sounds like Child, and apparently refused any writing credit.
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2016, 11:53:02 PM »

I fully understand that. But even if you match the keys and the sections, they're still different progressions.

In Child Is Father of the Man's chorus and Little Bird's bridge section, the drum pattern, bass line, instruments, and progressions (+chords) are identical. The only thing different is the vocal melody and arrangement.

If Little Pad and Tune X has different progressions, different chords, different melodies, different keys, different arrangements, and different structures, what do they have in common? A 4/4 time signature?
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2016, 12:09:16 AM »

The Tag to Child Is Father of the Man was labeled as a Cabin Essence Section. It was also overdubbed with Guitars, Carl doing the lead. Once overdubbed, the piano track was removed. Wonder what kind of guitars they used?

I don't have SS box set so I don't know is that source for this information?? By "tag to CFTM" you mean piano and trumpet section, or something else?
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2016, 04:11:46 AM »

I think these are very ingenious

could the 'little bird' lyrics have started out as 'little child'..?

it would be good to hear them without your B/Vs, just the main melodies and mixed further into the tracks - at the mo its all a bit confusing to my ear

good work though
leetwall97
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2016, 06:12:01 AM »

I don't have SS box set so I don't know is that source for this information?? By "tag to CFTM" you mean piano and trumpet section, or something else?

Yep. And Yes.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2016, 02:28:55 PM »

Hmmm...it's been 5 years since I was able to listen to all the existing SMiLE tapes and compile notes for the sessionography, but from my increasingly hazy memory, I don't exactly recall it that way...looking at the sessionography, I'd written that the CIFOTM session from 10/11/66 was "logged as a CABIN ESSENCE session", meaning that's the title on the AFM contract for the date. I just checked, and the tape box track sheet is labeled "CHILD IS FATHER OF THE MAN'", not 'CABIN ESSENCE", with notation indicating three sections: Chorus Basic, Verse, and Bridge. Why did the AFM contract list a completely different song title? Who knows.

I listed the personnel from the tracking session as below, with the annotation "o/d" indicating an overdub:

Tack piano: Brian Wilson (chorus & verse)
Grand piano: Brian Wilson (bridge)
Electric rhythm guitar (w/tremelo): Carl Wilson (verse)
Electric baritone lead guitar (w/fuzztone in chorus, w/tic-tac in verse): Bill Pitman (chorus & verse)
Fender bass: Carol Kaye
Upright bass (arco in chorus): Jimmy Bond
Trumpet: Ollie Mitchell
Snare drum: Brian Wilson ? (o/d) (chorus)
Sleighbells: Carl Wilson ? (o/d) (chorus)

So, I'm pretty sure the guitars were played on the basic track, although the drum and percussion parts were overdubbed - also, I'm pretty sure the piano is still there (just somewhat distant due to how it was mic'd).
leetwall97
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2016, 05:07:02 PM »

Hmmm...it's been 5 years since I was able to listen to all the existing SMiLE tapes and compile notes for the sessionography, but from my increasingly hazy memory, I don't exactly recall it that way...looking at the sessionography, I'd written that the CIFOTM session from 10/11/66 was "logged as a CABIN ESSENCE session", meaning that's the title on the AFM contract for the date. I just checked, and the tape box track sheet is labeled "CHILD IS FATHER OF THE MAN'", not 'CABIN ESSENCE", with notation indicating three sections: Chorus Basic, Verse, and Bridge. Why did the AFM contract list a completely different song title? Who knows.

I listed the personnel from the tracking session as below, with the annotation "o/d" indicating an overdub:

Electric baritone lead guitar (w/fuzztone in chorus, w/tic-tac in verse): Bill Pitman (chorus & verse)

So, I'm pretty sure the guitars were played on the basic track, although the drum and percussion parts were overdubbed - also, I'm pretty sure the piano is still there (just somewhat distant due to how it was mic'd).

Oh okay I see. Bill Pitman and Carl's guitar parts must've been o/ds for the Verse and Chorus on the 11th. And the reason why AFM documented this as a Cabin Essence section is because the boys recorded vocals for Home on the Range from 8 pm to 2 am.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2016, 07:34:19 AM »

Oh okay I see. Bill Pitman and Carl's guitar parts must've been o/ds for the Verse and Chorus on the 11th. And the reason why AFM documented this as a Cabin Essence section is because the boys recorded vocals for Home on the Range from 8 pm to 2 am.

I'm pretty sure the guitars you're referring to were played during the basic tracking...what makes you think they were overdubs?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2016, 08:42:58 AM »

In June the With Me Tonight session - This was recorded at a Vegetables session (I don't have TSS with me to check on that), but are you implying that With Me Tonight was going to be a Bside for a Vegetables single?  Because by June the idea (in April) of releasing Vegetables as the single had been abandoned and Heroes was the planned single, finished in June.

By the way loving your enthusiasm for all things Smile!!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx