gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 01:55:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: From Brianistas to Lovesters  (Read 20181 times)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2016, 10:01:36 AM »

I have come across Beatles fans who are John partisans who hate McCartney.

Indeed? I find that rather sad. But that's why I'm not a major Beatles fan. Grin

A lot of it is the nature of John's murder. He was still relatively young when he was shot. Another part is the perception that John's work was more "deep" than Paul's.  Paul during the 80's also did himself no favors with classic rock fans with the Michael Jackson duets (despite "Say Say Say" being one of Paul's best post-Beatles singles). The business stuff with Paul wanting to remove John's name for "Yesterday " also  factors into that perception.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 10, 2016, 10:44:19 AM »

I can see where you're coming from, but thankfully for myself that doesn't affect how I view the music. Actually, the only person I can think of where my dislike for them makes me not want to hear their music is Ted Nugent.

Yes. This!

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2016, 02:46:53 PM »

Hate the Nuge!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2016, 05:12:04 PM »

I have come across Beatles fans who are John partisans who hate McCartney.

Indeed? I find that rather sad. But that's why I'm not a major Beatles fan. Grin

A lot of it is the nature of John's murder. He was still relatively young when he was shot. Another part is the perception that John's work was more "deep" than Paul's.  Paul during the 80's also did himself no favors with classic rock fans with the Michael Jackson duets (despite "Say Say Say" being one of Paul's best post-Beatles singles). The business stuff with Paul wanting to remove John's name for "Yesterday " also  factors into that perception.

And perception is just that.  Here's what I heard, which may be worth something or not:  McCartney had wanted to donate the residuals from "Yesterday" to a cause, and Yoko blocked it.  If there's one thing that's pretty obvious, "Yesterday" was a Paul song.  It's probably one of the most (I'm pretty much assuming, THE most) lucrative songs in the catalog.  Clearly, both Paul and John contributed to all the success.  But if what I heard was true, it certainly doesn't make Paul out to be a bad guy.  It sounds like trading for an all John song wasn't in the cards - once again, if this is true.  I think it's safe to say, none of us has any idea.

That's what's so funny.  We all love speculating.  We  - more likely than not - will never know the real story.  Life is usually pretty nuanced and complicated.

Enjoy the music.  Understand that with either band, you likely don't have the whole story. 

Some things are pretty obvious - "Yesterday" is very Paul.

Brian's musical accomplishments and abilities are difficult to deny, nor is it easy to give credit to others for the most amazing BBs musical contributions, if one has much of an ear.  As far as people coming up with a phrase or something, who knows?  How that contributes to the success of a song is REALLY debatable at best.  We can argue it forever, but it won't matter.  I guess the problem is, Brian pretty much gave Mike everything he wanted in that suit, and it isn't Brian, but Mike who still can't let it go.  No wonder we all get "reactivated" all the time.  Maybe that's the point of Mike's incessant complaining?  I don't know.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx