gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 06:54:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let Go of Your Ego  (Read 1661 times)
Beagle Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2006, 06:58:42 AM »

I was listening the Pet Sounds box and found it interesting that during an early take of "Hang On to Your Ego", Brian refers to it as "Let Go Of Your Ego", which is a completely opposite sentiment. Did the nature of this song change even before it turned into "I Know There's An Answer"? What the heck does Brian really want us to do with our egos??
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 07:23:28 AM »

Paging Bill Tobelman...

humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 09:33:43 AM »

It was also called "Let Go Of Your Libido" for about 2 seconds.  Smokin
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 12:00:49 PM »

My theory:  originally Brian and Asher were describing "hung up" people who needed to let go of their ego to get rid of their "hangups."  Then they changed the chorus to :

Hang on to your ego
Hang on because I know that youre gonna lose the fight

Which is saying - go ahead, try and hang on to your ego if you want, but ultimately you're going to lose the fight - you're going to drown in your hangups or you're going to have to let go of your ego.
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 12:46:28 PM »

The album How To Speak Hip has a routine about "hang-ups" and talks about the Zen Buddhists having these riddles that you meditate on and the idea is to "hang you up." As Zen riddles are (in some people's opinion) supposed to destroy one's ego then I guess you could say that hang-ups, or being hung up, may eventually help one to lose one's ego.

In the sixties there was literature that suggested that life is improved if one transcends one's ego. And I think that this is where "Hang On's" - "the way they live can be better" stuff comes from.

So often when I see world leaders bombing countries I think that this mentality is due to ego, and in the sixties it was often thought that the whole militaristic mentality was ego based.

Alan Watts' book The Book On The Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are (from 1966!) has lots of good ego material.

Also, the Johns Hopkins' "mystical mushrooms" study I posted about on another thread is a good indicator of the kind of positives that can come out of losing one's ego.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx