gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 09:07:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Someone actually wrote an article about "Summer in Paradise"!  (Read 12316 times)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2016, 09:52:12 PM »

They didn't have enough VALID material to do an album after Kokomo.  [ unless albums were only 7 inch jobs/1 song per side that year. ]  Mike the Music Machine only has so much creativity to spare in any given time frame.  Without Brian?  They were sunk.  IF they had the tunes from Brian's initial solo effort and if they could have worked on them together...  ...  ... If 'ifs' and 'buts' were candies and nuts.

But then THAT wasn't going to happen was it?  If anything...Kokomo was a fluke...the happy coincidence of it being the right song, at the right time, in the right movie which appealed to just the right people.  It's A Beautiful Day didn't enjoy that kind of luck.  Kokomo was an out of left field stroke of good fortune never to be replicated by any contingent lead by Mike Love.  There's just not enough artistic talent there to make it happen.  There is to perform material...just not to CREATE it.

Kokomo was lightning in a bottle and Mike was delusional to think that that was the new template for future BB success.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2016, 09:54:42 PM »

See, the thing is,  to me a song like 'Somewhere Near Japan' was far better than Kokomo. Same thing with 'Strange Things Happen'.

I agree. But it is also hard to predict what songs will become the monster hits, which is why it's pointless to try to calculate how to reach the masses.

Adds some 🎼 to your day
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2016, 08:07:35 AM »

Nice article on it! The album was ok! pretty good for the music that was coming out in the 1990s

You have a point about 90's music... But, I am truly grateful that SIP had some of the last of  Carl Wilson's vocals who had shared leads on half of the tracks.

And, I do really love Lahaina Aloha with that yearning Carl lead. (Maybe it should have been released as a single. I still think it was a very strong song, probably the best on the album.)  We've lost that voice but still have those tremendous Carl vocals.   

Van Dyke Parks played accordion on two tracks.  And, I prefer Summer in Paradise live (MIC) to this version but do appreciate that they made an effort to stay in the market.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2016, 12:45:45 PM »

In regards to It's Ok...I've always had a soft spot for that one. One of my favorite summer time BB songs. In that Warmth of the Sun podcast, I believe both Brian and Al had nothing to say about that song and didn't want to talk about it.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2016, 12:58:14 PM »

Nice article on it! The album was ok! pretty good for the music that was coming out in the 1990s

You have a point about 90's music... But, I am truly grateful that SIP had some of the last of  Carl Wilson's vocals who had shared leads on half of the tracks.

And, I do really love Lahaina Aloha with that yearning Carl lead. (Maybe it should have been released as a single. I still think it was a very strong song, probably the best on the album.)  We've lost that voice but still have those tremendous Carl vocals.    

Van Dyke Parks played accordion on two tracks.  And, I prefer Summer in Paradise live (MIC) to this version but do appreciate that they made an effort to stay in the market.

Do we know if Carl submitted any original material for "Summer in Paradise" that was rejected...or recorded but left unreleased?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:58:51 PM by jeremylr » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2016, 01:03:19 PM »

Do we know if Carl submitted any original material for "Summer in Paradise" that was rejected...or recorded but left unreleased?

I've always had the impression it was a Love/Melcher project all along, and Carl didn't even participate as heavily in the sessions as Mike did.

I've heard no evidence that he proffered any material for the album.

I think Carl was writing and cutting stuff in the early-mid 90s, some of which ended up on the "Beckley Lamm Wilson" album. But I always figured Mike spearheaded the SIP album, and it essentially as we all know came across as a Mike Love solo album with some vocal contributions from the others. (Yes, I know, it has 1/2 of a Bruce song on it).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2016, 01:18:18 PM »

I've always had the impression it was a Love/Melcher project all along, and Carl didn't even participate as heavily in the sessions as Mike did.

I think Carl was writing and cutting stuff in the early-mid 90s, some of which ended up on the "Beckley Lamm Wilson" album. But I always figured Mike spearheaded the SIP album, and it essentially as we all know came across as a Mike Love solo album with some vocal contributions from the others. (Yes, I know, it has 1/2 of a Bruce song on it).

And thank goodness it has the Bruce tune on it, that's one of the best songs on the record (despite the wretched drum sound on that tune, the song's not too bad IMO).
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2016, 02:02:05 PM »

When I gave SIP a re-listen several years back, I was taken aback by how dated and bad the *production* sounded on it. The songs (the compositions themselves) hadn't changed for me; the few good ones were still good and the rest were still the same. But the production (and I suppose mixing and mastering) is just very harsh and tinny and thin. Really bad drum sounds (presumably mostly programmed). The group vocals are still performed well as always, but are all smushed and compressed. Perhaps the sampling rate/resolution, etc. for that early Beta version of ProTools was limited and didn't help things.

Seriously, the '85 album sounds warmer than SIP in terms of production and mastering.

If they could actually access the multi-track files for SIP, re-record *real* drums, and then remix and remaster, those hand full of good songs could sound even better.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 02:02:35 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2016, 02:11:36 PM »

If they could actually access the multi-track files for SIP, re-record *real* drums, and then remix and remaster, those hand full of good songs could sound even better.

I wish I could have the opportunity to mix it!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2016, 02:17:40 PM »

Thank you for the detailed analysis, Hey Jude...there's still a lotta gray area regarding Carl's recordings in the final decade of his life...makes you question whether he was tracking music in a home studio that has still not seen the light of day.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2016, 02:20:43 PM »

I think I remember some of us asking Alan Boyd some years back about what the status was of the non-analog masters in the BRI vaults for the '85 album and SIP. I recall that he mentioned they had all the DAT recordings for '85, but I don't think anything was known in terms of any SIP material (beyond presumably the final digital album masters used to make the CD). I'm not even sure what form of backups they would have done with a Macintosh Quadra in 1992 running a Beta version of ProTools, or if any "outtakes" would even survive, let alone the multi-track files for the finished album.

Perhaps backups were made to DAT?

The multi-tracks clearly survived for at least a little while, as they partly remixed and re-recorded several tracks for the 1993 UK version of the album.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 02:23:29 PM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2016, 02:22:40 PM »

Thank you for the detailed analysis, Hey Jude...there's still a lotta gray area regarding Carl's recordings in the final decade of his life...makes you question whether he was tracking music in a home studio that has still not seen the light of day.

Carl's unreleased compositions and recordings from the 80s and 90s seem as mysterious as the man himself. Little has surfaced. Billy Hinsche dug up the early 80s "This is Elvis" track.

Not sure what else might be lurking around; clearly his estate has shown no interest in these 18 years to do anything with any potential Carl tracks that aren't tied to BB recordings in the BRI vault. Perhaps then there *isn't* much in terms of any demos Carl may have recorded during all those years.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2016, 02:25:04 PM »

Carl was also not exactly the most prolific songwriter, either.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2016, 02:33:37 PM »

I think I remember some of us asking Alan Boyd some years back about what the status was of the non-analog masters in the BRI vaults for the '85 album and SIP. I recall that he mentioned they had all the DAT recordings for '85, but I don't think anything was known in terms of any SIP material (beyond presumably the final digital album masters used to make the CD). I'm not even sure what form of backups they would have done with a Macintosh Quadra in 1992 running a Beta version of ProTools, or if any "outtakes" would even survive, let alone the multi-track files for the finished album.

Perhaps backups were made to DAT?

The multi-tracks clearly survived for at least a little while, as they partly remixed and re-recorded several tracks for the 1993 UK version of the album.

Do we know if Terry produced the UK re-recordings?

I can't fault them for trying to make the album better (it needed it), but they failed in their quest. All the re-records sound worse IMO, except Strange Things Happen, because it desperately needed to be cut down and edited to a shorter version, which it was. The Island Fever remake kills the only parts that were good about the original version.

Speaking of Strange Things Happen, the BBs need to contact the music supervisor of Netflix's hit Stranger Things, and get Strange Things Happen placed somewhere on Season 2! (Or maybe not...)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2016, 08:17:24 AM »

And thank goodness it has the Bruce tune on it, that's one of the best songs on the record (despite the wretched drum sound on that tune, the song's not too bad IMO).
CD - the songs are not bad.  It is the production.  It would be great for Brian to take a second look, (add his own vocals)in order to preserve Carl's vocals (if those tracks were isolated) and do some reworking of the orchestration.  It was new technology for that time and maybe the overall approach in hindsight might have been a mistake.  But the environmental message has not been lost.  And SIP live is fantastic on MIC. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2016, 09:02:04 AM »

CD - the songs are not bad.  It is the production.  It would be great for Brian to take a second look, (add his own vocals)in order to preserve Carl's vocals (if those tracks were isolated) and do some reworking of the orchestration.  It was new technology for that time and maybe the overall approach in hindsight might have been a mistake.  But the environmental message has not been lost.  And SIP live is fantastic on MIC.  

That may be true for a select few of the tracks, but not even tasteful production could save the turd that is the album's centerpiece, Summer of Love.

Is it environmentally friendly for Mike to publish a printed book? Surfers recycle copies of Mike's book now, don't you know...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 09:52:31 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2016, 09:24:36 AM »

SIP and particularly Summer of LuHv are the perfect soundtrack for myKe luHv disgustingly pouring and  massaging gobs of rubbing oil all over himself on TV. A precise look into what that creep is all about.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2016, 09:26:39 AM »

SIP and particularly Summer of LuHv are the perfect soundtrack for myKe luHv disgustingly pouring and  massaging gobs of rubbing oil all over himself on TV. A precise look into what that creep is all about.

Synching "Summer Of Love" to Mike's Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous piece would be pure comedic gold.

Adds some 🎼 to your day
Gohi
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2016, 03:11:15 PM »

Tons and tons of fantastic music was coming out in the 1990s. What a funny thing to say!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2016, 03:25:46 PM »

Tons and tons of fantastic music was coming out in the 1990s. What a funny thing to say!

I'm with you Gohi.

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2016, 03:30:17 PM »

Synching "Summer Of Love" to Mike's Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous piece would be pure comedic gold.

I know that there's talent out there who could do this.  Sounds culturally enriching to me.   Cool Guy
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2016, 03:53:39 PM »

CD - the songs are not bad.  It is the production.  It would be great for Brian to take a second look, (add his own vocals)in order to preserve Carl's vocals (if those tracks were isolated) and do some reworking of the orchestration.  It was new technology for that time and maybe the overall approach in hindsight might have been a mistake.  But the environmental message has not been lost.  And SIP live is fantastic on MIC. 
That is like oil and water, BW shouldn't waste his time going anywhere near SIP.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2016, 04:47:13 PM »

That is like oil and water, BW shouldn't waste his time going anywhere near SIP.

It is laughable thinking of Brian, at this point, dredging up Summer of Love and Still Surfin' to add vox.

Unless Surfer Joe from Still Surfin' could be Joe Thomas?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx