gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:19:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Good Vibrations 50th Anniversary Vinyl Single EP Announced.  (Read 3028 times)
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2016, 06:28:01 AM »

A little Disappointing... From Facebook

The Beach Boys
CELEBRATING 50 YEARS OF “GOOD VIBRATIONS”
WITH COMMEMORATIVE 12-INCH SUNBURST PICTURE DISC VINYL EP ON OCTOBER 7, 2016.

October 10th marks the 50th anniversary of the release of one of popular music’s most iconic songs of all time, The Beach Boys’ Good Vibrations. The Beach Boys and Capitol Records will celebrate the golden milestone with the worldwide release of “Good Vibrations” (50th Anniversary Edition) on a 12-inch picture disc vinyl EP on October 7.

The “Good Vibrations (50th Anniversary Edition) sunburst vinyl EP features the original 7” single version, an alternate studio take, an edit of the song with elements from various sessions, an instrumental, and a live version from a Honolulu rehearsal in August, 1967 that was originally intended for the lost album Lei’d in Hawaii, plus the single’s B-side, “Let’s Go Away For Awhile.” A pull-out lithograph of the single’s original Japanese cover art, with its “Good Vibration” title typo intact, is included in the EP package, which features the original 1966 U.S. single cover art on its front.

#GoodVibrations

Thanks Capitol! Where's the 40 Minutes of Video footage that was found or a Good Vibrations Sessions Boxset promised years ago? Not even a Vocals only mix from the rough Master.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 07:47:51 AM »

More evidence that the band has no management pushing better, more substantial material for release. This is essentially just a variation on the "Record Store Day" stuff they put out, complete with a "Vinyl Only" status apparently.

This also sounds nearly if not fully identical to the "40th Anniversary" CD single:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 10:18:35 AM »

mmm pass! I hope they do some cool things next year for the 50th of Smiley Smile and Wild Honey like they did for Pet Sounds! Plenty of new stuff they can release for those albums!
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 10:26:07 AM »

Thanks Capitol! Where's the 40 Minutes of Video footage that was found or a Good Vibrations Sessions Boxset promised years ago? Not even a Vocals only mix from the rough Master.

Yes! That needs releasing!
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 10:27:46 AM »

mmm pass! I hope they do some cool things next year for the 50th of Smiley Smile and Wild Honey like they did for Pet Sounds! Plenty of new stuff they can release for those albums!

Hopefully they will. That would be cool and make a great box set maybe?
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 11:32:42 AM »

Hopefully they will. That would be cool and make a great box set maybe?

That would be cool to have a box set with both those albums together! the 1967 Box set!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 08:11:40 PM »

Well...I'll be Mr. Positivity here  LOL  I was 11 when the 40th anniversary occurred...this sounds great to me!  Grin
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 07:13:01 AM »

Well...I'll be Mr. Positivity here  LOL  I was 11 when the 40th anniversary occurred...this sounds great to me!  Grin

I'm also excited to grab this as I love the Stereo Instrumental mix on the EP and would love to pull out the EP and spin that now and again!
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 11:53:31 AM »

I love me some vinyl, but I'm not big on vinyl only releases. I'm going to pick it up, but I wish the release were more extensive-- or that at least the vinyl came with digital downloads of those tracks.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 12:02:06 PM »

The 40th anniversary EP and all of its tracks can still be purchased as digital downloads:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TERLE0/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

The CD version of it can also be found pretty cheaply as well still despite likely being long OOP.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Scaroline No
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 06:01:51 AM »

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I'll just put it here... interesting Billboard review on the 50th Anniversary of GV.  Apologies if this has been posted someplace else.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7534270/beach-boys-good-vibrations-50th-anniversary

Full text minus the links:

There's little disputing the status of The Beach Boys' pioneering psych-pop concoction "Good Vibrations" as one of the most well-liked songs of the rock era. A No. 1 hit on Billboard's Hot 100 upon its release in 1966, the reputation of the single (which turns 50 today) has only grown in the five decades since, held up as a marvel of production, composition and innovation -- the crown jewel of principal singer/songwriter Brian Wilson's towering discography. A regular fixture on greatest-of-all-time song lists, music-crit aggregation service Acclaimed Music currently has it ranked No. 4 on their list of the best-rated songs ever, behind only Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone," Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and The Beatles' "A Day in the Life."

There's a difference between being well-liked and beloved, however, and for as much praise as "Good Vibrations" has received over its half-century of existence, the song has found itself on the left side of that divide with surprising frequency. A number of pop and rock luminaries of Wilson's contemporary -- some of the only dudes who could really be considered his peer -- have been strikingly tempered and qualified in their praise for his most legendary A-side.

Phil Spector, whose work on the Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" Wilson openly aspired to top with "Vibrations," expressed his admiration-not-affection for the work with an Alfred Hitchock analogy: "It's like, Psycho is a great film, but it's an 'edit film.' Without edits, it's not a film; with edits, it's a great film. But it's not Rebecca. It's not a great story, it's not a beautiful story." Paul McCartney, whose Beatles had a friendly recording rivalry with The Beach Boys in the mid-'60s, called it "a great record," but added that "it didn't quite have the emotional thing that Pet Sounds had for me" -- referring to the LP of confessional symphonies that preceded "Good Vibrations" in 1966 to significantly less commercial success, but which has endured as their full-length masterwork.

McCartney's sentiment is particularly telling, as it really gets to the heart of why a good number of rock fans keep "Good Vibrations" at a relative distance. Because there's clearly no denying the song's structural ingenuity, which places it as something like the Fallingwater of pop music. From the in-media-res beginning through its melodic mood swings and stunning tempo changes -- encompassing heart-racing cellos, spine-melting harmonies and pop music's most famous theremin hook (which wasn't actually played on a theremin) -- "Vibrations" is radioactive with brilliance throughout, in a manner essentially unprecedented for a Top 40 hit at the time.

Is it as emotionally resonant as the proto-emo anthems on Pet Sounds, though? It certainly doesn't hit the same notes of grown-too-fast insecurity that make "That's Not Me" or "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" so upsetting and recognizable. You can't really get married to it, as you conceivably could with love-of-a-lifetime ballads "God Only Knows" or "You Still Believe in Me." It's not as heart-rending as "Wouldn't It Be Nice," or as stomach-punching as "Caroline No." Indeed, if you were going to associate a body organ with "Good Vibrations," it would undoubtedly be the brain; an obviously cerebral 3:39 that takes the Jackie Treehorn approach to love-song writing.

But writing off Wilson's masterpiece of the mind as being fundamentally heartless is reductive and inaccurate. The true brilliance of "Good Vibrations" comes in the juxtaposition of its architectural perfection with its absolute emotional incoherence. Sonically, as orchestrated by Wilson, the thing is immaculate and considered enough that the term "pocket symphony" basically had to be invented for it. Lyrically, as penned by Beach Boys lieutenant Mike Love, it's almost total mush, with mumbled couplets you couldn't pick out of a lineup ("When I look in her eyes / She goes with me to a blossom world") and notable over-reliance on the is-that-really-even-a-word "excitations." "'Good Vibrations' was probably a good record but who's to know?" The Who maestro Pete Townshend once groused about the song. "You had to play it about 90 bloody times to even hear what they were singing about."

That's kind of the point, though: "Good Vibrations" finds its power through communicating love's elemental inarticulateness. The entire song echoes the synapse-firing confusion of being emotionally short-circuited; oscillating wildly between the creeping tension of the verses and the head-rush wooziness of the chorus, as a jumble of thoughts and feelings fight each other for space in an over-stimulated inner monologue. It mostly reads as a mess, because of course it does. The music of "Vibrations" is as carefully crafted and cleverly persuasive as you could ever hope to be when expressing your feelings. The words of "Vibrations" are as garbled and confusing as they tend to actually come out.

However, Wilson and Love do get head and heart to match up on one single occasion in "Good Vibrations," and appropriately, it's saved for the clangorous mid-song climax: "I don't know where, but she sends me there." It's a simple line, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a much better one throughout pop's entire back catalog, at least when it comes to conveying how the emotional rush of young love exceeds the mental capacity for cognitive processing. The Beach Boys don't know what they're feeling on "Good Vibrations," but they certainly know that they're feeling it, and that disconnect should be as relatable to anyone listening as anything Wilson ever wrote about getting angry at his dad or being totally dependent on his girl.

You could teach an entire college course on "Good Vibrations," analyzing Wilson's many-sided jewel from a countless number of perspectives, but that one lyric is all you really need. Some love songs try to write from the head, and some from the heart, but "Good Vibrations" is one of the only ones daring enough to do both simultaneously, attempting to reflect the human reality of never being able to totally turn off one or the other (or to cut off communication between the two). That it does so successfully is the real reason we're still talking about it half a century later.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:19:01 AM by SCaroline Z » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 08:18:04 PM »

I wish!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 06:36:54 AM »

It's unfortunately more likely Capitol will copy the format for the PS 50th set and do something similar with "Smile"; taking the 2011 set and repackaging in into a book format, drop the vinyl bits, and add in a DVD or BD-Audio with a few new little things.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx