-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:49:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Ask Chuck
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ask Chuck  (Read 36901 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2006, 05:58:13 PM »

Nah, just made a dumb post based on a total misreading of the original one. We need a delete function in here.  Roll Eyes

I've never seen a post from you that displayed a lack of intelligence or thought, Andrew.  You seem to put more consideration and planning into your comments than most people I know.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2006, 03:00:28 PM »

OK, serious question.

If there is one omnipotent, omniscient, all-powerful deity, why doesn't it just cut through all the "my-way-of-worshipping-is-better-than-yours" crap and establish a unified credo at a stroke... say with a message on all the media simultaenously ? Or... turning the sun out for five minutes ? Such an event would not only erase all divisions but also engender instant belief.

I just find it hard to understand why such a deity who repeatedly showed itself to one tribe in an obscure corner of the ancient world (allegedly) has a problem with bending modern technology to its will.

It's for people to decide themselves.

I'm not sure about other religions but the Bible basically teaches that it's our free will to believe in God and to accept the whole thing. The whole message there is that God isn't going to come and bully us into a corner where we will finally believe in the whole thing but rather wait patiently for our own personal revelation. I've had a few short moments where I feel that God has been revealed to me in a way. It feels like I've been exposed to the simplest truth and in that moment there's nothing but complete clarity and serenity. But there lies a problem since people of other belief have also experienced similar things.

And there, in a nutshell, is my problem, as perfectly demonstrated by the now-departed Clayton on the Bloo, who seemed to be of the persuasion that a life without his 'god' was empty and meaningless. I have nothing but, at best, antipathy for this bullying kind of religion, and the proponents thereof.

I also don't want to go to any portion of a BB MB and be confronted with large chunks of scripture (unless it be in a thread entitled "The religious bit" or some such) - I have a bible at home (several, in fact, my preference is for the King James text) and if I want to read it, I will. When I chose to.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 03:34:19 PM »

I also don't want to go to any portion of a BB MB and be confronted with large chunks of scripture (unless it be in a thread entitled "The religious bit" or some such) - I have a bible at home (several, in fact, my preference is for the King James text) and if I want to read it, I will. When I chose to.

I feel the same way.  Undecided

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2006, 04:11:53 PM »

Technically this isn't part of a BB MB. This is the Sandbox. What happens here, stays here. I can understand if people don't want to see pictures of bikini clad women (cough) but if you start reading what looks like scripture, something that you're not interested in, then just simply ignore it.

jus sayin Shrug

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2006, 09:06:30 PM »

Technically this isn't part of a BB MB. This is the Sandbox. What happens here, stays here. I can understand if people don't want to see pictures of bikini clad women (cough) but if you start reading what looks like scripture, something that you're not interested in, then just simply ignore it.

jus sayin Shrug

If it's not part of a BB MB, then why do I have to log onto the Smiley Smile Message Board to access it then ?  Cool
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 07:24:09 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2006, 02:45:21 AM »

The best answer I can give you is this:  you've been on the Internet, and this board, long enough to know no one is forcing to read this portion of the board.  This portion of the board has been clearly labelled off topic, and even if it weren't, you've been on this board long enough to know this is the off topic portion.  This board also gives you the means to ignore any given person's messages, if you believe the majority of their messages are going to annoy you.   I don't want to come to a BB board and see pictures of models and read foul language, but I know this is the part of this BB board those things have been found on, and in an attempt to honestly peacefully coexist with my fellow SS members, I put up with it.  If you ever see anything that REALLY crosses the line, just click that "report to moderator" button, and Joe and Billy will look into it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 04:29:47 AM by Charles LePage » Logged

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2006, 05:36:41 AM »

If it's not part of a BB MB, then why do I have to long onto the Smiley Smile Message Board to access it then ? Cool

Touche 3D Think of it more as neighbors than roommates.

--
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2006, 06:32:01 AM »

Where choice exists, and one fails to exercise it, one has no one to blame but oneself.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2006, 07:31:14 AM »

I don't mind folks talking about their religion, or religion in general so long as they are not warning me that I will be punished by GOD if I don't follow or adhere to their point of view. 

I actually enjoy reading or hearing articulate expressions of faith and spirituality.  Because I no longer feel as threatened by zealots and fundamentalists as I once did, I am free to listen and consider the spiritual and religous thoughts of others without experienceng much discomfort. 

But I think it is simply RUDE to emotionally abuse or frighten people in the name of religion.

And I suppose it is also rude to post pictures of bikini clad women even if it is a certain iconic, Brazilian model, humor, mascot, avitar type of thing.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 07:36:28 AM by donald » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2006, 07:32:25 AM »

Where choice exists, and one fails to exercise it, one has no one to blame but oneself.

I never conciously decide to tread in dog crap... but sometimes, you just turn the corner, and bingo, there it is, before you can stop yourself. Bit like charity muggers, and just as irritating. Outside of the Whirled of Wilson, I strive not to impose my views on others unless requested. Maybe I should pepper my posts with observations as to why the Hens are going to be 1-AA champs again this year, or urge y'all to read every last word Bill Bryson has published...

Bottom line - this is a message board. Stuff posted here isn't designed to be ignored. Folk post stuff because they want the others to read it. Maybe we should have a "Please ignore everything posted here" section. It'd be a million & two seller...

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2006, 07:39:25 AM »

The best answer I can give you is this:  you've been on the Internet, and this board, long enough to know no one is forcing to read this portion of the board.  This portion of the board has been clearly labelled off topic, and even if it weren't, you've been on this board long enough to know this is the off topic portion.  This board also gives you the means to ignore any given person's messages, if you believe the majority of their messages are going to annoy you.   I don't want to come to a BB board and see pictures of models and read foul language, but I know this is the part of this BB board those things have been found on, and in an attempt to honestly peacefully coexist with my fellow SS members, I put up with it.  If you ever see anything that REALLY crosses the line, just click that "report to moderator" button, and Joe and Billy will look into it.

Freedom of speech doesn't bestow on anyone the right to tell me I'm going to spend eternity screaming and burning in a pit of sulphurous hellfire merely because I happen not to subscribe to someone's deity cult of their choice. Of course I'm exaggertaing slightly for effect, but you get the idea.  Brow

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2006, 08:57:48 AM »

Freedom of speech doesn't bestow on anyone the right to tell me I'm going to spend eternity screaming and burning in a pit of sulphurous hellfire merely because I happen not to subscribe to someone's deity cult of their choice.

I don't recall anyone here ever saying that in a message thread.

People do have the freedom of speech to say things you don't like, however, because freedom of speech on this board does not begin and end with you.  As long as what they say doesn't violate what is allowed on this board, your particular preferences have no bearing.  If you want to change the rules of engagement to exclude a topic, work that out with Billy and Joe.

And, as an example, I find the implication Christianity is a "cult" irritating, and maybe even "dog crap," but I have no issue with you saying it or being able to say it, if that is what you are saying.  You are free to say what you said, even if I disagree with it.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 09:03:19 AM by Charles LePage » Logged

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2006, 09:05:58 AM »

Beers all around, on me!

--
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2006, 09:06:29 AM »

err, I mean I'm paying the tab...dont actually spill it on me again, donald. Angry

--
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2006, 09:08:00 AM »

spill it?
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2006, 09:09:56 AM »

you know, when someone says 'beers on me!' and people take it literally and actually pour it on the poor guy...

nevermind, lame joke to begin with.

--
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2006, 09:21:28 AM »

Oh, I get it!  Beers on YOU!    aar aar aar  LOL LOL
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2006, 09:23:29 AM »

Grin and beer it?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2006, 03:24:51 PM »

Freedom of speech doesn't bestow on anyone the right to tell me I'm going to spend eternity screaming and burning in a pit of sulphurous hellfire merely because I happen not to subscribe to someone's deity cult of their choice.

I don't recall anyone here ever saying that in a message thread.

People do have the freedom of speech to say things you don't like, however, because freedom of speech on this board does not begin and end with you.  As long as what they say doesn't violate what is allowed on this board, your particular preferences have no bearing.  If you want to change the rules of engagement to exclude a topic, work that out with Billy and Joe.

And, as an example, I find the implication Christianity is a "cult" irritating, and maybe even "dog crap," but I have no issue with you saying it or being able to say it, if that is what you are saying.  You are free to say what you said, even if I disagree with it.

But not, apparently, free to reply to the response above, as my post was deleted in toto. Maybe because it included an explanation of why the use of the word 'cult' as applied to Christianity is entirely accurate ?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2006, 05:23:06 PM »

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2006, 05:46:49 PM »

LOL

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2006, 05:54:42 PM »

Kool-Aid Man

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2006, 06:24:58 PM »

But not, apparently, free to reply to the response above, as my post was deleted in toto. Maybe because it included an explanation of why the use of the word 'cult' as applied to Christianity is entirely accurate ?

Complain to the moderators.  I didn't delete it.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2006, 06:37:55 PM »

Apparently nobody deleted it, as I checked the logs. Dunno what happened...

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2006, 06:57:36 PM »

I don't think it's too hard to figure out what happened if the message wasn't deleted by anyone.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: