-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:20:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Ask Chuck
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ask Chuck  (Read 36896 times)
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2006, 12:12:47 PM »

How'd you get into the Beach Boys?

What is your personal favorite album?

How'd you find spirituality and religion? Also, how did you make it a permanent fixture in your life?

You're neither inaccessbile nor unapproachable by the way...

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 06:26:06 PM »

How'd you find spirituality and religion? Also, how did you make it a permanent fixture in your life?

Thanks, I appreciate that.  And I will answer your questions as soon as a I can.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 10:38:51 AM »

You're neither inaccessible nor unapproachable by the way...

I got into the Beach Boys via my oldest brother.  He was a BB fan almost from the beginning of band, and was witness to their successes and failures in the 60's.  My first memories of the BBs were the tapes he made for me that I listened to during summer breaks from school, probably when I was 7 years old. 

My favorite BB album would be Pet Sounds or Sunflower, but it usually depends upon my needs or desires at the time.  Right now I've been listening to the "Last BB Album" CD I made for myself.

The third question is a big one that will require some thought to answer it correctly.

Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 02:36:31 PM »

How far back do the archives of Stephen's responses go?  I'm trying to find his terrific answer to my question about Dennis singing from behind the drumkit onstage, but I can't find it.  I think I asked it last fall.

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 02:38:20 PM »

Also, it feels very peaceful and pleasant around here.  Can you bring back flowers and colors?

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 03:20:00 PM »

I've only begun to archive Stephen's words of wisdom, but I'll see if I can find what he said about Dennis.  And I'll consider the flowers-- I'll discuss with the future team of moderators.

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 02:25:51 AM »

Ugh.  Not the flowers!  PLEASE, not the flowers!!!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 03:24:18 AM »

Chuck...other than the BB's what are your other favourite groups?

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 06:01:48 AM »

Susan, my three year old son really digs your avatar.  When he sees it he always says "what is that?  The baby!!"

Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 08:34:03 AM »

Ugh.  Not the flowers!  PLEASE, not the flowers!!!
Ugh?

Thanks

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 03:59:38 PM »

Chuck - your three-year-old has good taste.  That beautiful baby is, of course, me.  I haven't changed much over the years, either...

Uncomfortable Seat - yes, ugh.  Sorry.  Nothing personal.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 08:33:50 AM »

Given the latest spat, I thought I'd share something from the Bible that it is good instruction for all us, especially me:

JAMES 1:

21: Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
22: But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
23: For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
24: For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
25: But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
26: If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
27: Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 08:34:20 AM »

Chuck...other than the BB's what are your other favourite groups?

I like the Replacements.  I'll have to look at Rhapsody tonight and see what I've been listening to lately.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2006, 01:39:41 AM »

« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 01:42:24 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2006, 05:20:22 AM »

I'm offended.  I would hope for an exclamation mark, or even a question mark.  But a period?  Do you think that little of me? Smiley
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 02:08:24 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2006, 03:27:01 PM »

Nah, just made a dumb post based on a total misreading of the original one. We need a delete function in here.  Roll Eyes

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2006, 06:25:22 PM »

Nah, just made a dumb post based on a total misreading of the original one. We need a delete function in here.  Roll Eyes

I'm of two minds concerning a delete function.

On one hand, I see your point. 

On the other hand, the delete function has been overused as a means to wipe out history.  There's many things I've seen happen on this board and on the Shop board that I can remember, but can find no documentation on, because messages and threads have been wiped out.

Yet another reason people better qualified than me moderate on this board. 

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2006, 10:04:39 AM »

On the other hand, the delete function has been overused as a means to wipe out history.  There's many things I've seen happen on this board and on the Shop board that I can remember, but can find no documentation on, because messages and threads have been wiped out.
Truth.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2006, 10:37:01 AM »

Just noting, for the sake of my own failing memory, I have not answered these questions and I still need to.

Jason
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2006, 04:46:50 PM »

Yet another reason people better qualified than me moderate on this board. 

Gee, isn't that just bloody convenient?

EDIT - I might be kidding...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 04:50:03 PM by Jason » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2006, 04:50:50 PM »

Grin

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2006, 06:02:14 PM »

You're neither inaccessible nor unapproachable by the way...

Just noting, for the sake of my own failing memory, I have not answered these questions and I still need to.

My road to salvation was a long and bumpy one, though probably not any longer or bumpier than most.  I was raised a Roman Catholic.  I was blessed by God to be relieved of any burden of attending mass around the age of 14.  My opinions of the Catholic church are best saved for another post.

Unfortunately, leaving the Catholic church, while in itself a good thing, left me spiritually rudderless.  It wasn't until years later, when I started my first full time job, that I was exposed to born again Christians who presented the truth and beauty of Christ's sacrifice on the cross to me.  They never pushed anything on me.  They simply maintained a gentle and reasoned dialogue with me, and eventually, after finding every excuse I had to deny the truth of salvation negated, I surrendered to God's grace.  (My final stumbling block, BTW, was that I convinced myself I didn't want to be like the Christians I knew, that I didn't want to have the faults and failings I saw in them.  What I had to realize was 1) being saved does not make one perfect or faultless, and I was going to fail as much as any Christian I knew, and 2) when God saves us, He does not turn us into clones.  He still cherishes the uniqueness of each of us that He made.) 

I have wished so many times I could excise the time in between being saved and meeting my current wife out of my life.  That long period of time was not pretty.  Unfortunately, I spent that time involved in lukewarm churches, unhealthy relationships, and generally lacking the foundation I needed to learn about and remain in God's will.  However, all of that time in Egypt eventually allowed me to cherish my current wife once we met, and now God has led me to a place where I have a supportive Church family, a beautiful family at home, and so many blessings I never had before, blessings that mean more than any fame or fortune I could ever have. 

This has turned out much shorter than I meant it to, mainly due to my 4 year old son, but I think it's a good condensation, or at least a good beginning.  As for making it a "permanent fixture," I've found it's like most things we are "good" at, it's a matter of maintaining good, healthy patterns of training and exercise.  Going to church Sunday morning and night, and on Wednesdays, studying the Bible, being with and learning from fellow Christians, etc., all help keep me spiritually "fit." 

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2006, 02:06:19 AM »

OK, serious question.

If there is one omnipotent, omniscient, all-powerful deity, why doesn't it just cut through all the "my-way-of-worshipping-is-better-than-yours" crap and establish a unified credo at a stroke... say with a message on all the media simultaenously ? Or... turning the sun out for five minutes ? Such an event would not only erase all divisions but also engender instant belief.

I just find it hard to understand why such a deity who repeatedly showed itself to one tribe in an obscure corner of the ancient world (allegedly) has a problem with bending modern technology to its will.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2006, 02:15:32 AM »

If that were to happen we'd be dealing with public chaos more than spiritual divinity. Plus, turn the sun out in the middle of the afternoon, not only would I need a new pair of pants, but I'd probably need new car windows.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 03:39:35 PM »

OK, serious question.

If there is one omnipotent, omniscient, all-powerful deity, why doesn't it just cut through all the "my-way-of-worshipping-is-better-than-yours" crap and establish a unified credo at a stroke... say with a message on all the media simultaenously ? Or... turning the sun out for five minutes ? Such an event would not only erase all divisions but also engender instant belief.

I just find it hard to understand why such a deity who repeatedly showed itself to one tribe in an obscure corner of the ancient world (allegedly) has a problem with bending modern technology to its will.

It's for people to decide themselves.

I'm not sure about other religions but the Bible basically teaches that it's our free will to believe in God and to accept the whole thing. The whole message there is that God isn't going to come and bully us into a corner where we will finally believe in the whole thing but rather wait patiently for our own personal revelation. I've had a few short moments where I feel that God has been revealed to me in a way. It feels like I've been exposed to the simplest truth and in that moment there's nothing but complete clarity and serenity. But there lies a problem since people of other belief have also experienced similar things.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: