-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:17:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Ask Chuck
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ask Chuck  (Read 36904 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2006, 05:46:40 PM »

LOL

This is Billy. I know, it's hard to tell us apart, since I keep changing my user name every other day, aand he changed up his.  LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2006, 06:00:04 PM »

That's why I want to limit the religious stuff to here, and I dunno, keep it in one thread. I just don't want to see it turn up in places where it shouldn't (esp in , say, a discussion about SMiLE acetates). That way, nobody gets hurt.

I've never, to my knowledge, turned any discussion in the "on topic" section of this board into a referendum on Christianity.   I agree that discussions like the one we are having should be on this part of the board, as this is the part of the board designed for them.

Anyone who has read a King James bible will know that there's nothing in it that gives believers the option of saying "I believe this, but I could be wrong, and I certainly wouldn't want to have such a firm belief that it offends someone or makes them think I think they are wrong."  Jesus isn't described as "a" way, He's described as THE way.  No one is forced to agree with or believe anything in the Bible.   No one is forced to agree with me or anyone else.  I am tempted, however, to insist people add the phrase "but that is just my opinion and it does not demean you or your opinion in any way, I hope" anytime they say "GIOMH sucks."  Smiley

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2006, 06:04:35 PM »

I've never, to my knowledge, turned any discussion in the "on topic" section of this board into a referendum on Christianity.   I agree that discussions like the one we are having should be on this part of the board, as this is the part of the board designed for them.

I know you haven't, and I'd like to make sure that nobody does.

Anyone who has read a King James bible will know that there's nothing in it that gives believers the option of saying "I believe this, but I could be wrong, and I certainly wouldn't want to have such a firm belief that it offends someone or makes them think I think they are wrong."  Jesus isn't described as "a" way, He's described as THE way.
EVERY religion claims that their way is THE way. That's why to me it is too touchy of a subject to be discussed (except for in a thread actually pertaining to it), because people who believe 100% in their faith (or lack thereof) will stick 100% to it, and they'd argue it to the point of death if need-be.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2006, 06:47:58 PM »

EVERY religion claims that their way is THE way. That's why to me it is too touchy of a subject to be discussed (except for in a thread actually pertaining to it), because people who believe 100% in their faith (or lack thereof) will stick 100% to it, and they'd argue it to the point of death if need-be.

IMO (of course), that sounds as much like the discussions about anything in the on topic sections as much as it does here.  It would be very easy to find "experts" on the Beach Boys who believe their facts or opinions are THE way, the truth and the light, on this or any message board.  I do understand your point, however.

I believe (just my belief, not necessarily a fact) reasonable people can have reasonable discussions and reasonable disagreements without letting their pride and prejudices blind them.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2006, 06:50:10 PM »

I'd like to believe that, but I'm starting to see IRL that most people are not reasonable.

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2006, 07:19:08 PM »

I'd like to believe that, but I'm starting to see IRL that most people are not reasonable.

Not to offend anyone, but I believe that's why we need God's grace, IMO.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2006, 11:58:58 PM »

Well, I agree. See, the thing is (warning...religious rant coming....)....

I personally believe that there IS one God, but none of the religions cover the whole truth. You know what? That's okay. I personally believe we are supposed to follow our own path towards the truth. The problem is, too many people believe what they do because that is what they are TAUGHT and REARED with, and they don't even realize it.I don't personally think ANYONE here on Earth is 100% on the mark. Why? Because we are NOT God, and we don't know everything, no matter how much we delude ourselves that we do. And, we take the holy book of our choice (Bible, Koran, whatever), and claim that it is the truth...because it tells us that it is so. And if we are asked why we feel that our holy book  is actually the word of God, we say because the book says so. Think about that long and hard. Were any of us around at the times these books were transcribed? Nope. How do we *honestly* know that people didn't put whatever they wanted and claimed it was from God? I'm sorry, but I don't have that much faith in people to be honest. I really don't; I trust God, but people as a whole...uh-uh.

That's as far as I'm going with it for now.

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2006, 06:36:44 AM »

I personally believe that there IS one God, but none of the religions cover the whole truth.

Well, I'm offended.  I'm going to report you to... you!  Smiley  HAHAHAHA

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2006, 07:41:10 AM »

Well, I agree. See, the thing is (warning...religious rant coming....)....

I personally believe that there IS one God, but none of the religions cover the whole truth. You know what? That's okay. I personally believe we are supposed to follow our own path towards the truth. The problem is, too many people believe what they do because that is what they are TAUGHT and REARED with, and they don't even realize it.I don't personally think ANYONE here on Earth is 100% on the mark. Why? Because we are NOT God, and we don't know everything, no matter how much we delude ourselves that we do. And, we take the holy book of our choice (Bible, Koran, whatever), and claim that it is the truth...because it tells us that it is so. And if we are asked why we feel that our holy book  is actually the word of God, we say because the book says so. Think about that long and hard. Were any of us around at the times these books were transcribed? Nope. How do we *honestly* know that people didn't put whatever they wanted and claimed it was from God? I'm sorry, but I don't have that much faith in people to be honest. I really don't; I trust God, but people as a whole...uh-uh.

That's as far as I'm going with it for now.

Excellent point, and one well presented.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2006, 08:18:07 AM »

Thanks Andrew!

Well, I'm offended.  I'm going to report you to... you!  Smiley  HAHAHAHA

That's IT!!!! Automatic IP Ban! See you in 7 days.

LOL  Razz  Grin j/k

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2006, 09:40:34 AM »

LOL

This is Billy. I know, it's hard to tell us apart, since I keep changing my user name every other day, aand he changed up his.  LOL

*sigh*  A little consistency goes a long way, Billy...geez!
;-)

For the sake of this discussion, i would say that i am more spiritual than i am religious, and while my spirituality begins in the Christian realm, it is not limited to that.  Some would say that i take the Chinese Restaurant approach - a little from this, some from that, one from column A and two from column B - but that's what works for me.  I think [which is another way of saying that what follows is my opinion] that it's more important to live your life the best you can than it is to worship in a prescribed manner.  And if i'm wrong, then i guess i'll pay for it through all eternity.  If there is such a thing.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2006, 09:55:03 AM »

I also have my own beliefs and credos (creda ?), and I am comfortable enough with them to keep them to myself unless asked. I don't feel impelled to season my day (or writings) with references to my beliefs, and I strongly suspect - though of course this is only my interpretation - that those who do are in some fundamental way insecure in their own beliefs and are seeking approbation. Iffn it's good enough, it doesn't need shouting about. If you build it, they will come.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2006, 10:33:32 AM »

I suppose it's a fine line between doing Jesus' bidding in spreading the word, and doing Jesus' bidding in not being like those priests who stand on the street corner and preach. 

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2006, 11:29:39 AM »

I don't feel impelled to season my day (or writings) with references to my beliefs, and I strongly suspect - though of course this is only my interpretation - that those who do are in some fundamental way insecure in their own beliefs and are seeking approbation.

I'm sure not all are like that, but I'm willing to be there are quite a few.

*sigh*  A little consistency goes a long way, Billy...geez!
  Grin

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2006, 12:29:34 PM »

It's been my experience that fundamental insecurity works both ways.  The people that make the loudest noise over any mention or discussion of Christianity usually don't want anyone to talk about it because of a lack in confidence in their own position.  It's not unlike any other time a person is harangued or shouted down by someone who thinks differently than them.

I don't get some sort of commission if someone gets saved.  The only one who benefits is the person accepting salvation.

We walk a fine line every time we open our mouths between being true to who and what we are, and being overbearing to others when we are true.  It's not unlike caring about and being knowledgeable the BBs, and not being arrogant and brutish with people who care or know less than yourself.

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2006, 12:41:27 PM »

I suppose it's a fine line between doing Jesus' bidding in spreading the word, and doing Jesus' bidding in not being like those priests who stand on the street corner and preach. 

Hey Susan, I saw your signature:  "Check out the new Trading Post board at Shut Down!"  No need to advertise it, if you build it, people will come.  HAHAHAHAHA

Seriously, that's a cool addition to your message board.

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2006, 02:07:24 PM »

Thanks, Charles.  It's started kind of slowly, but that's okay.  It will catch on as and when it should.

Even more exciting, i've now got some banners atop the pages.  There are four of them, and they're in random rotation, and i'll add more as and when people design and pass them along to me.  If they don't suck, that is.

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2006, 02:36:40 PM »

I noticed the banners-- the two I saw looked groovy to me.

Howdy Doody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2006, 08:21:46 AM »

Chuck,

Do tell why the board has gotten so elitist and cliquish as of late.  It has become BB snob land it would seem.  Or would you estimate that I need meds?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2006, 09:34:06 AM »

Where is everyone?  I finally hit a slow spell at work and the action here dries up.  I may have to resort to doing some research or reading, or worse yet, straightening my file cabinets. 
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2006, 10:53:17 AM »

Sorry, Donald, I'm at work, now at a lunch break.

Howdy, I have not noticed any sudden or current outbreak of elitism or cliquishness.  Certainly I do not care for either, and I'd be interested in reading, maybe in a PM from you, any details you'd care to share with me. 

In the end, the only cure for either of the above ills is to resist taking part in them, and to resist being hurt by them. 

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2006, 02:40:17 PM »

Do tell why the board has gotten so elitist and cliquish as of late.  It has become BB snob land it would seem.  Or would you estimate that I need meds?

I haven't noticed that. Maybe *I* need meds LOL:

Jason
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2006, 07:34:57 PM »

Chuck,

As of late? Sheesh, I remember the times when Ian, Luther, and myself owned this place with Chris D and Laurie hanging behind us. I'd say the board is LESS cliquish and elite than it was back in December when it reopened.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2006, 07:42:17 PM »

No joke. That's why I can't understand how it can be viewed that way now.

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2006, 04:49:35 AM »

I'd say the board is LESS cliquish and elite than it was back in December when it reopened.

And, I'd say overall, the less cliquish and elite, the better.  IMO.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: