gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:28:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: And so it starts....  (Read 15384 times)
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2016, 02:22:47 PM »

Has anyone here read the book yet? What does Mike imply/say? Must it be pure bullshit beacause Anderele was a great guy? I mean: it could be bullshit for other reasons. Or maybe he has a point. Could he?

AMEN!

That is what I was thinking! No one can say anything until they read the book and see what actually Mike said. It might have been something that Jonathan toke the wrong way. After we read the book then we can see what Jonathan says and then throw punches at Mike if he did say something horribly stupid. Or throw punches at Johnathan for misleading us to believe something different then what Mike said in his book.  We never even got a source  where that little clipping came from yet or if its real.

After the book comes out then we can bring this topic back up!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 03:13:09 PM by The_Beach » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2016, 03:14:18 PM »

Jonathan has read the book.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2016, 03:15:14 PM »

I read this thread title thinking Brian had announced that he'd begun work on a new album or something. But of course, it's just more bitterness.

Mike attacks a respected figure in the music business who, coincidentally, is not alive to defend himself.

AMEN!

Cowardly.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 04:21:26 PM by ♩♬ Billy C ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2016, 03:20:23 PM »

We haven't. He may just be doing it as a possibility stunt because he knows how so many fans like to jump on Mike. Who knows maybe Mike was a HUGE dick talking about him but maybe now. before we can give our honest opinions we  need to read the book.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2016, 03:50:43 PM »

Possibly we'll hear from someone else who has read the galleys who has some objectivity and can enlighten us in the mean time.  I'm actually watching this thread in case  this happens, but also wanted to honor David Anderle as a highly respected man who was great for music and artists, since he was mentioned here.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2016, 03:51:49 PM »

We haven't. He may just be doing it as a possibility stunt because he knows how so many fans like to jump on Mike. Who knows maybe Mike was a HUGE dick talking about him but maybe now. before we can give our honest opinions we  need to read the book.

Never heard of a possibility stunt. Publicity stunt, yes.

Do you know Jonathan well enough to say that about him?  He posts here on occasion. ..maybe you should ask him.

The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2016, 04:25:38 PM »

We haven't. He may just be doing it as a possibility stunt because he knows how so many fans like to jump on Mike. Who knows maybe Mike was a HUGE dick talking about him but maybe now. before we can give our honest opinions we  need to read the book.

Never heard of a possibility stunt. Publicity stunt, yes.

Do you know Jonathan well enough to say that about him?  He posts here on occasion. ..maybe you should ask him.

I have no idea who he is besides that he has a very talented man I also did not know he posts on here. Maybe he intemperate what he said differently then what Mike was trying to get across to his readers. I'm not saying he did that as a Publicity stunt but it could be possible. But what i am saying is that we all need to read the book before we can judge either one of them until we have read the book. Maybe Mike just had one bad run in with him and talked a little bit about that. But If Mike bashed a deceased man and is trying to make himself sound superior then there is no acceptable. That is/would be VERY cowardly. I would not try to defend Mike at all.  But for now we just have to wait to read the book for ourselves and hope Mike didnt make an embarrassment out of himself!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2016, 04:34:09 PM »

We haven't. He may just be doing it as a possibility stunt because he knows how so many fans like to jump on Mike. Who knows maybe Mike was a HUGE dick talking about him but maybe now. before we can give our honest opinions we  need to read the book.

Jonathan used to lurk and post here and the Smile Shop. He never sought out any "publicity".

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2016, 05:25:16 PM »

Jonathan used to lurk and post here and the Smile Shop. He never sought out any "publicity".

Without reading the book I reckon Mike is saying David gained financially from the sale is Sea of Tunes to Irving  Almo. Nothing about David as an artist.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2016, 06:38:16 PM »

I've just skimmed through all the Anderle mentions in Mike's book. (You can do a word search through the book on Amazon). I missed whatever it is that Jonathan is referring to.

Maybe someone else can give it a shot.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2016, 06:48:50 PM »

Try the word 'scam'. No detail but the 3 results sound ugly.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2016, 04:25:08 AM »

See page 376. I think that is where this came from.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2016, 04:41:30 AM »

"So in summary... the Beach Boy lawyer1 who engineered the fraudulent sale of our catalog was introduced to us by a man who ended up working at the very company that bought the catalog2 - a scam that enriched that company mightily and, indirectly, all of it's employees, including David Anderle, who everyone agreed, had a smashing twenty-six-year career at A&M Records.

What a town."

1 Abe Somer
2 David Anderle

Superscript notes are mine, referencing the text that came prior to the summary.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2016, 04:47:01 AM »

Wow, classy stuff. I would guess that sort of stuff would indeed be potentially libelous if Anderle was still alive.

A bit rich to hear "what a town" from the guy that engineered what is described in the Marks/Stebbins book in bringing Dave in to replace *Al*; obviously just one of countless examples.

When it comes to cut-throat business dealings, I somehow sense Mr. Love is not any sort of outsider.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2016, 07:02:51 AM »

"So in summary... the Beach Boy lawyer1 who engineered the fraudulent sale of our catalog was introduced to us by a man who ended up working at the very company that bought the catalog2 - a scam that enriched that company mightily and, indirectly, all of it's employees, including David Anderle, who everyone agreed, had a smashing twenty-six-year career at A&M Records.

What a town."

1 Abe Somer
2 David Anderle

Superscript notes are mine, referencing the text that came prior to the summary.
Ricky 1950 - after reading what I could find on LA Times which covered Brian's suit (over the Sea of Tunes catalog sold by Murry) none of this looks like news to me.

A & M was owned by Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss. Anderle was a classmate at Fairfax High in LA with both of them. 

p.s. What did surprise me is what I found reported in the LA Times going back to 1991 on music industry sexual harassment, payola, etc.  One of these parties is mentioned.   

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-11-03/news/mn-1568_sexual-harrassment

The suit, as I recall did find fraud and in favor of Brian, but it appeared too late (likely statue of limitations issues because I don't have the actual documents in front of me) to undo the transfer of the Sea of Tunes catalog back to the Beach Boys.  They did give a money award.

There were allegations that the lawyer represented A & M records at the time unknown to the Plaintiff (Brian.)  The referenced court docs also "alleged that (Somer) failed to disclose the direct and irreconcilable conflict of interest." (LA Times - September 19, 1989 written by Irv Letofsky.)

None of this looks like news to me.   Wink   

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-09-19/entertainment/ca-4315_1_brian-wilson

The LA Times, I found was the  best source for helping me fill in the background.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2016, 07:23:12 AM »

Cut to Cam Mott readying Mike Love's defense in 3...2...1...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2016, 07:33:26 AM »

Brace for impact! Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2016, 08:16:08 AM »

Wow, classy stuff. I would guess that sort of stuff would indeed be potentially libelous if Anderle was still alive.

A bit rich to hear "what a town" from the guy that engineered what is described in the Marks/Stebbins book in bringing Dave in to replace *Al*; obviously just one of countless examples.

When it comes to cut-throat business dealings, I somehow sense Mr. Love is not any sort of outsider.

Right. Not to mention that whole cutthroat Al-ousting endeavor (much like this current smack-talking just "coincidentally" being about a deceased person - whose absence makes it easier for him to publicly say this about) was similarly not exactly *hindered* due to someone else in the BB's organization's passing. Sad but true.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:40:06 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2016, 08:26:13 AM »

Brace for impact! Wink

Haven't read the book.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2016, 08:56:34 AM »

Ricky 1950 - after reading what I could find on LA Times which covered Brian's suit (over the Sea of Tunes catalog sold by Murry) none of this looks like news to me.

Not sure if this is a response to me or not, but if so, I was only citing the page that I think the quote posted by the OP may have referenced. I am not claiming anything is (or is not) new.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2016, 09:09:45 AM »

Not sure if this is a response to me or not, but if so, I was only citing the page that I think the quote posted by the OP may have referenced. I am not claiming anything is (or is not) new.

Sorry "Rick 5150" -  I cited your handle incorrectly.  The quote you included made me look up some of the LA Times articles that have covered BB related matters over time and unfortunately a child will not be happy to see a parent not memorialized the way he/she might like or in an unflattering light.  We saw that with Landy's son who is not happy with the way his father was portrayed in Love and Mercy. 

Those cases that arose (for many reasons) with regard the sale of Sea of Tunes, and the judgments are what remains about that band history.  I suspect both books will have a similar time-line, as far as this sale by Murry is concerned.  The court was not pleased with the conflicts-of-interest that were not disclosed.

What you wrote reminded me of the series of article in the LA Times about the litigation and I posted after yours.  I did not think you were claiming something new and I don't think it is new.   
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2016, 09:53:38 AM »

Thing is: Anderle, who worked for the BBs, did have a great career at A&M, a company that benefited from the SOT deal. No lie there. And Anderle was a very nice man as per many of those who met him.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2016, 10:15:58 AM »

Thing is: Anderle, who worked for the BBs, did have a great career at A&M, a company that benefited from the SOT deal. No lie there. And Anderle was a very nice man as per many of those who met him.

Right, and there's nothing wrong with that. The implication though is that there was collusion,  and that's what Jonathan and many of us have an issue withm

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2016, 11:03:16 AM »

Not in a position time-wise today to look for it in the on-line pages, but wondering if Mike bothers to point out that it was actually Murry Wilson who instigated the sale of Sea of Tunes to A&M. Is Mike trying to imply that Abe Somer connived to induce Murry to sell? Would we find evidence of same in the court transcripts?

BTW, Wikipedia indicates that Anderle began working at A&M in 1970, which I believe was the year AFTER Sea of Tunes was sold.

Also, those of you who haven't done so already should check out the book published awhile back that collects many of Anderle's paintings, including the famous one of Brian...it's entitled BETTER LATE THAN NEVER, and it is well worth owning. I'm sure it's been discussed here in several threads, but it bears repeating...particularly in this context.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2016, 01:31:52 PM »

Right, and there's nothing wrong with that. The implication though is that there was collusion,  and that's what Jonathan and many of us have an issue withm
It's beyond an implication. He pretty directly says that Anderle was involved in "a scam."  Assuming Anderle was not involved in a scam (which seems unlikely), it would certainly be liable to suit, were he alive.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx