gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:59:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dumb Angel painting  (Read 5567 times)
scarecrow63
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2006, 10:51:26 AM »

Hi everyone. I'm a big BW fan and I'm also an artist. Just wanted to share a painting I just completed as a tribute to Brian and Smile. I suck at html so I'll just post a link to where it's at. Hope you like it.
Grant

http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database/art/view.pl?id=98409
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 10:56:18 AM »

That's a very interesting painting.

I have to admit, if I saw it with no other information, I would not connect to Brian Wilson or SMiLE.

Can you tell us more about the painting and what about BW and Smile inspired it?

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
scarecrow63
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 02:43:41 PM »

Okay, here goes:
To me, along with representing the expansion west,  the idealism of the sixties and it's inevitable passing and other themes of americana, Smile symboloized something else. It was a metaphor for Brian himself, and his struggles with artistic genius. I always felt that Margueritte, the girl, was not a girl at all. She was the artist's muse incarnate. This is why although she is killed right at the beginning of the story, she never really dies. The rest of the album is Brians search for her, much like his painful struggle to finish the album against so many obstacles. This is why for me, Good Vibrations is an excellent finale to the album, although I know it's controvercial. He finally cathes her! This is also why I prefer Brian's original title.

So the girl in the picture is the artistic muse, the black figure attempting to embrace her is Brian. The cherubic figures on either side that seem to be "entering" the face are the divine inspiration that Brian received. (My wife is right now reading the book Catch a Wave, and there's a passage where Brian says that when he sat down at the piano to compose he saw little angelic figures circling above him, bringing the music to him. Interestingly, I had never heard this particular quote from him before.)

The dagger that enters the black figure's head between the two cherubs is symbolic of the pain we all know Brian endured at the expense of his genius.

The background is made up of the elements. Sky, water, air. The stars represent fire.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 02:45:57 PM »

awesome, thank you for sharing.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 07:50:25 PM »

That is an awesome painting.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Reggie Dunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 09:48:30 PM »

Nice work, digging the yin / yang imagery.

No Wilson's = No Beach Boys.

Beware of Imitators. Est. 2006
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx