gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:15:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Marks has cut "Cuddle Up"  (Read 5233 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2016, 08:56:09 PM »

Saw this on David's FB page:

"Thank you for all the kind messages about my mom and wishing me a happy birthday. I’m sorry I don’t get on here more but I will try harder!

It was suggested once that I sing this Dennis song live, and while I haven’t had the chance yet the idea has been stuck in my head ever since. I’ve been felling Dennis a lot lately so I thought it was a good time to record it and post as a thank you for all the support. Special thanks to Adam Marsland for playing piano and producing my vocals."

https://soundcloud.com/davidleemarks/cuddle-up

Lovely job David and Adam!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:56:47 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 09:33:47 PM »

Thank you!  I was very stoked to get to do this.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 09:34:43 PM »

Saw this on David's FB page:

"Thank you for all the kind messages about my mom and wishing me a happy birthday. I’m sorry I don’t get on here more but I will try harder!

It was suggested once that I sing this Dennis song live, and while I haven’t had the chance yet the idea has been stuck in my head ever since. I’ve been felling Dennis a lot lately so I thought it was a good time to record it and post as a thank you for all the support. Special thanks to Adam Marsland for playing piano and producing my vocals."

https://soundcloud.com/davidleemarks/cuddle-up

Lovely job David and Adam!

Damn, that is awesome. Probably the most emotion I have felt from a new BB recording, cover or not, in a long while. David and Adam, you are both awesome.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 09:39:33 PM »

wow! he could almost be a brother of Dennis's and Carl's vocals combined on those falsetto parts.
Great Job! 
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 11:57:25 PM »

David has done a brilliant job!
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 12:25:55 AM »

A very emotional recording, it brought a tear to my eye.  Well done David and Adam!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:26:43 AM by gsmile » Logged

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 12:29:00 AM »

This really captures Dennis's spirit!! Great job guys! David sounds absolutely awesome  angel  Cheesy
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 01:14:53 AM »

Wonderful !!!  A real gem , well done both of you. David, you were one of the reasons I began following the BB .......please do more like this    🙋
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 02:47:40 AM »

Thank you!  I was very stoked to get to do this.

I can imagine. Ye gods, what an amazing performance from David! Cover of the year----by a mile. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 08:33:06 AM »

Oh, how compelling. This makes me think that the BB in Radio did not really do anything close to what they could have in highlighting the individual artistry of the various surviving members. The new Monkees album has more individual, signature moments of highlighted creative art and expression. I think BJ said the album was a "punt" or a "bunt"?, and  i have to agree that giving everything that Joe Thomas, Jeff Foskett feeling squandered the chance for an album that could have included this kind of DM tribute to Dennis's art--to say nothing of the shocking absence of DM surf guitar on the album (despite his good work on the title cut).

I have said before that Dave--more than Brian--has the legacy of Carl and Dennis on his shoulders, or at least is more cognizant than Brian of that particular historical burden. Dave delivers here beautifully.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 08:43:49 AM »

Oh, how compelling. This makes me think that the BB in Radio did not really do anything close to what they could have in highlighting the individual artistry of the various surviving members. The new Monkees album has more individual, signature moments of highlighted creative art and expression. I think BJ said the album was a "punt" or a "bunt"?, and  i have to agree that giving everything that Joe Thomas, Jeff Foskett feeling squandered the chance for an album that could have included this kind of DM tribute to Dennis's art--to say nothing of the shocking absence of DM surf guitar on the album (despite his good work on the title cut).

I have said before that Dave--more than Brian--has the legacy of Carl and Dennis on his shoulders, or at least is more cognizant than Brian of that particular historical burden. Dave delivers here beautifully.

Agreed completely.

Listening to this track makes me realize how (IMO) unfortunately one-sided and often misguided the band has been in absolutely neglecting this type of music for so long. We need less "Beaches in Mind", less "Forever" (sung by Uncle Jesse), and more moving material like this. And I say that respectfully, as I don't dislike the "Forever" cover the way many others do, and I'm glad Denny's work got a boost from it, but it sucks when it's at the expense of more raw, hard-hitting, newly-recorded stuff like this not happening - and this recording not getting a more official release.

If this cover was released under the BB name in an official capacity, you couldn't wipe the grin off my face.

Of course, there have been some great emotional moments in some of the band's work (both solo and BB material) since Denny's last new works, but the fact that this type of raw emotional gut-punch has been often absent is a real shame. I certainly can't fault Denny for not being around to make new music like this, but this cover makes me realize how neglected both Denny's own music, as well as that entire style in the context of the BBs' canon, has been for so long. I'm not talking about archival releases, I'm talking about new stuff that gets into this territory.

More works by members of The BBs that pay tribute (either covers or original works) that pay tribute to the Denny style would be so appreciated. Even just a few. I guess at this point, David is probably the only guy left who could do them, or even has interest in doing them, it would seem. David rules, and this proves he has certainly been underutilized for far, far too long.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 08:54:39 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 11:47:54 AM »

That was so tender, so emotional -- what a great tribute to Denny's music! Adam, if you and Dave ever decide to do an album or tour of the Songs of Dennis Wilson together, I'd love to hear / see that!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 11:52:08 AM »

That was so tender, so emotional -- what a great tribute to Denny's music! Adam, if you and Dave ever decide to do an album or tour of the Songs of Dennis Wilson together, I'd love to hear / see that!

That'd be fun.
Scotty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 03:59:18 AM »

I'm really not a sentimental guy, but this could be tears in my eyes.
Thanks so much for sharing this.  Drum
Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 05:09:12 AM »

He´s really singing it good. Wouldn´t have thought this.

I had the honor to play and sing it on one of our German BB fanclub meetings, having Billy Hinsche and Jeff Foskett on choir. That was REALLY something !
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 04:06:01 PM »

As much as I like David and I think this is a very good cover of this song, for me it lacks the yearning, passionate feel of the original. Dennis' voice was so perfect for his music. So much feeling and so emotional that his music is difficult to do justice to.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 07:10:58 PM »

That'd be fun.
Let's see - "Little bird", "Cuddle up", "You & I", "Forever"(?). What else? POB? WIBNTLA? Or Evie Sands would sing it as usual?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 01:10:09 PM »

Thank you David and Adam.  I'm sure the spirit of Dennis was with you as you recorded this.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 02:02:58 PM »

Awesome! Beautifully done guys!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 10:33:49 PM »

I just can't get enough of David's effort here. I'd love to hear a studio version of David doing "Little Bird" and other Denny tunes. (Adam has some experience in this area....) Nobody channels Denny like David. If you read "The Lost Beach Boy", their connection is well explained. And I see on David's web site that the 10th anniversary edition is coming soon. Hope "The Real Beach Boy" reissue is coming soon too.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 02:14:21 PM »

I just can't get enough of David's effort here. I'd love to hear a studio version of David doing "Little Bird" and other Denny tunes. (Adam has some experience in this area....)

Totally agree! A Marks version of LB would be amazing.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 02:19:36 PM by Cool Cool Water » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 02:20:38 PM »

OregonRiverRider added the word "too" at the end of last sentence. It means that he likes both books. He did mention "The Lost Beach Boy".

As for song, never was big fan of it, so whether David's cut it or smb. else wouldn't make difference. Boring song is boring song.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 02:28:52 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 03:25:12 PM »

OregonRiverRider added the word "too" at the end of last sentence. It means that he likes both books. He did mention "The Lost Beach Boy".

Hence the edit.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 03:49:23 PM »

Hence the edit.

David's book is revised and updated. I am hoping we get David's take on the demise of the "C50 tour.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx