gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681029 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 10:17:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's Book Discussion Thread (and how it relates to the SS board)  (Read 135122 times)
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 07, 2016, 05:03:11 AM »

More book tidbits:
Mike on Al-he could be prickly and rude, particularly to staffers or subordinates, with a grating sense of entitlement.

From the 1978 Australia tape, Rocky to Brian:
Look how much Mike Love loves you. He can't even sleep at night because he thinks (Carl and Dennis) are trying to give you heroin, and he wants to strangle Dennis-that's how much you mean to him. That's love.
Steve Love to Brian: Do you know Mike cries when you do a good show?
Rocky:...if your brothers are doing this to you in '78, what have they been doing to you all along-
Steve: in '66.
Brian: I'll never do it (heroin) again.

Popcorn time!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 07, 2016, 05:15:51 AM »

I wonder if this is the lady that had her identity hidden on the Diane Sawyer report about Brian and Landy.

No, it isn't. The lady in the PrimeTime Live report was Melinda.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 07, 2016, 07:12:19 AM »

Another tidbit: At the time the BBs were doing the cover shot for Pet Sounds, Capitol's working title for the album was..... Our Freaky Friends.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 07, 2016, 11:32:23 AM »

From the book:

Mike gets a phone call following the Tale-LaBianca murders.

Person on phone:" Prepare to die, pig."
Mike:" F--k you! Come down to Manhattan Beach, and we'll see who dies!"
No one came to visit, and he never called again.

That's telling 'em, Mike!

But why would Mike have assumed this was Manson? There are quite a few people who could have made that call. He's not a universally popular guy lol!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 11:49:32 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: September 07, 2016, 11:48:31 AM »

Good point.

Quote function now seems to be messed up...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 07, 2016, 11:50:11 AM »

Sorry about that! I've managed to correct it now.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: September 07, 2016, 12:13:40 PM »

Cool

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 07, 2016, 12:28:40 PM »

Another tidbit-not long before he left in '72, Bruce-allegedly disgusted with the effect drugs had on the Wilson brothers-would post a sign "No Wilsons Allowed" on the door of Brian's home studio when he recorded.

Al mentioned this in an interview he did about 2001 or so,but he said the sign said "No Beach Boys allowed".
Speaking of Al, he's getting off easy if the only thing Mike is saying is that he's prickly sometimes and can be rude to subordinates.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 07, 2016, 12:29:14 PM »

More book tidbits:
Mike on Al-he could be prickly and rude, particularly to staffers or subordinates, with a grating sense of entitlement.

Look how much Mike Love loves you. He can't even sleep at night because he thinks (Carl and Dennis) are trying to give you heroin, and he wants to strangle Dennis-that's how much you mean to him. That's love.
Rocky:...if your brothers are doing this to you in '78, what have they been doing to you all along-

Popcorn time!

This level of guilt-manipulating and isolating wedge-driving between him and his brothers is about as bad as the physical intimidation and control. It's carrying on the same kind of destructive manipulation that Murry practiced. And it seems Landy did the same. The whole "I love you so much that you have to do what I say and side with me against others that you care about or against your own wishes. Otherwise you are hurting me and betraying my love and - by extension - yourself because you're betraying the one who loves you most" power-trip pulled on BW for his first 50 years of life must have really messed with him.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: September 07, 2016, 12:55:12 PM »

More book tidbits:

Popcorn time!

This level of guilt-manipulating and isolating wedge-driving between him and his brothers is about as bad as the physical intimidation and control. It's carrying on the same kind of destructive manipulation that Murry practiced. And it seems Landy did the same. The whole "I love you so much that you have to do what I say and side with me against others that you care about or against your own wishes. Otherwise you are hurting me and betraying my love and - by extension - yourself because you're betraying the one who loves you most" power-trip pulled on BW for his first 50 years of life must have really messed with him.

Correct...psychological bullying is still bullying.

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 07, 2016, 01:05:23 PM »

More book tidbits:

Popcorn time!

Correct...psychological bullying is still bullying.
Without a doubt this was psychological bullying if it took place, and apparently it did?  I didn't observe this particular line of attack.  Let's just say, I'm not surprised from what I actually did observe.

The fact that Brian survived is remarkable.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 01:06:47 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: September 07, 2016, 01:19:00 PM »

And then Landy went out and did the same thing (plus overmedicating him). Sad

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 07, 2016, 01:24:25 PM »

And then Landy went out and did the same thing (plus overmedicating him). Sad

Brian is one tough cookie psychologically, Billy, in the midst of all the sweetness in his soul and his music.  An impressive set of human characteristics.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: September 07, 2016, 01:50:00 PM »

That is true, and yet another reason why he is my hero...I don't just admire him for being a musical genius...I find him personally inspiring as well (for his strength and also for being a genuinely good person, which in this day and age is sadly increasingly rare).

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 07, 2016, 02:26:30 PM »

That is true, and yet another reason why he is my hero...I don't just admire him for being a musical genius...I find him personally inspiring as well (for his strength and also for being a genuinely good person, which in this day and age is sadly increasingly rare).

Very true.  So happy you're here, ASM.  It takes guts to be on the internet these days, as well.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: September 07, 2016, 02:31:56 PM »

That is for sure! Cool

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 07, 2016, 02:43:29 PM »

To the tune of "Barbie": My Billy, Billy....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: September 07, 2016, 02:56:54 PM »

LOL

♯♫♩'What is a message board made of...'♯♫♩♯♫♩

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 07, 2016, 02:59:45 PM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 07, 2016, 03:03:40 PM »

The fear to stop sessions.... Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: September 07, 2016, 03:55:07 PM »

Cool

MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 07, 2016, 07:22:09 PM »

Agree with this totally! Personallity wise his just very real, no bullshit. He has a very good heart, not hung up on ego. In my opinion Brian the human being is on the same level as Brian the musical genius.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 08, 2016, 01:49:05 AM »

Not sure if this is news, but there are excerpts from the book viewable at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Good-Vibrations-Life-Beach-Boy/dp/0399176411/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473324439&sr=8-1&keywords=good+vibrations
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 02:20:11 AM by William Bowe » Logged
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 08, 2016, 02:06:27 AM »

Book tidbit: Mike's so not-racist that black people don't mind it when he calls them ni**er (p. 16).
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 08, 2016, 02:22:52 AM »

Mike Love Good Vibrations Book Trailer - Full Version
https://youtu.be/OutWymKjErk

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx