gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:46:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's Book Discussion Thread (and how it relates to the SS board)  (Read 134517 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 13, 2016, 10:56:38 AM »

Hey I am a Cubs fan! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 13, 2016, 11:30:51 AM »

Let's also not forgot the magnum opus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybDexDAd33E

Wow, I had never heard this before.  I wish I could un-hear it.  Is anyone from the Beach Boys on that besides Mike?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 11:33:16 AM by Matt H » Logged
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 13, 2016, 11:53:09 AM »

In regards to someone thinking it's OK to use the n-word (and admittedly, I haven't read the book, so I don't know if Mike STILL thinks it's OK),
Well, since Mike touts his friendships with Marvin Gaye and Muhammad Ali, probably not.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 13, 2016, 12:50:19 PM »

Wow, I had never heard this before.  I wish I could un-hear it.  Is anyone from the Beach Boys on that besides Mike?

There are some things better left un-said, as they say...
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 13, 2016, 01:04:23 PM »

Sounds like a Foskett falsetto for sure.
Wow, I had never heard this before.  I wish I could un-hear it.  Is anyone from the Beach Boys on that besides Mike?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #480 on: September 13, 2016, 01:52:39 PM »

Wow, I had never heard this before.  I wish I could un-hear it.  Is anyone from the Beach Boys on that besides Mike?

Yeah, I think it's probably Foskett on the "Cubs" track, and sounds like Adrian Baker on the Hyatt Regency stuff. Don't really hear other BBs other than Mike on either of those tracks.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:23:24 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 13, 2016, 02:13:17 PM »

Wow, I had never heard this before.  I wish I could un-hear it.  Is anyone from the Beach Boys on that besides Mike?

Yeah, I think it's probably Foskett on the "Cubs" track, and sounds like Adrian Baker on the Hyatt Regency stuff. Don't really hear other BBs on either of those tracks.

No Mike love on Hear Comes The Cubs??? Man  I never heard that track before! Where did it come from?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #482 on: September 13, 2016, 02:23:06 PM »

I meant no other BBs beyond Mike. I think Mike is on both tracks. Not sure on the Cubs track, looks like it was some sort of promo cassette or something along those lines.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 13, 2016, 03:05:32 PM »

According to Mike's book,, he has paid 23.8 million to BRI  since obtaining the license in 1999, which has been split between the shareholders.Page 416
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 03:07:34 PM by jeffh » Logged
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 13, 2016, 03:13:28 PM »

So assuming that the shareholders get all the money that is about $350K per a share per a year.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 13, 2016, 03:36:45 PM »

In the music business, that's not a lot of money.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 13, 2016, 03:51:05 PM »

I'd tend to agree, particularly considering how huge the brand name *should* ideally have been if the brand wasn't unfortunately watered down, and considering Mike tours a TON just to make that amount - it's not really that much. Yet of course very big bucks to most any of us. And I'm sure all the shareholders are happy to cash their checks. I don't deny that.

I wonder how much more moneymaking potential an ongoing reunited band could have had. I tend to think it could have been quite a bit more than they currently make, if it had been done right with a decent material and an ongoing, well-put-together public image (me dreaming, I know). Especially because there was the potential for studio albums under the brand name, unlike now.

I don't doubt that Mike could well have vitally contributed to a hit or two if he'd have just not lost his patience and freaked out way, way too soon. I wonder how many people tell him that. Because it's true.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 04:09:16 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 13, 2016, 04:56:11 PM »

True to form, Mike can now even turn a conversation about the Manson murders into one about 'Full House'   Shocked

https://youtu.be/_syf5YW7PoM
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #488 on: September 13, 2016, 05:04:40 PM »

What I never understood, and never will, is the argument offered by some fans here and elsewhere that puts Mike paying that fee as some kind of albatross around his neck, or worse, as some kind of burden on him that enriches Brian, Al, and the Wilson estates without them having to do the work.

Well, guess what - That's the way this licensing works. That's the agreement that was signed and agreed to, and that's not at all unlike your run-of-the-mill copyright and usage agreement in any area of business or commerce. If you use a branded name or a franchise or even a trademarked logo to advertise, market, sell and make money, you have to pay the owners and often the original creators of that brand identity a portion of the profit, often with strict stipulations as to use and quality.

Why or how this got twisted into trying to portray some late 1800's vignette where Mike is swinging a pick-axe in a coal mine while Brian and Al are wearing top hats and smoking cigars watching him from leather chairs behind mahogany desks piled high with stacks of money is beyond me.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 13, 2016, 05:31:58 PM »

Let's not forget , that's only the 17 or 20% license fee. Which means he grossed what, 100 million in that time period ? Not too shabby !
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 13, 2016, 05:37:39 PM »

Why or how this got twisted into trying to portray some late 1800's vignette where Mike is swinging a pick-axe in a coal mine while Brian and Al are wearing top hats and smoking cigars watching him from leather chairs behind mahogany desks piled high with stacks of money is beyond me.

That imagery  LOL Can some brilliant illustrator please tackle that image for an alternate universe BB album cover?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 13, 2016, 05:38:13 PM »

Let's not forget , that's only the 17 or 20% license fee. Which means he grossed what, 100 million in that time period ? Not too shabby !

Oh, that does change things a bit. I wasn't taking that into account. That's not too bad indeed.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 13, 2016, 05:47:01 PM »

That imagery  LOL Can some brilliant illustrator please tackle that image for an alternate universe BB album cover?

Seconded. Please, someone illustrate this!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: September 13, 2016, 05:47:35 PM »

Oh, that does change things a bit. I wasn't taking that into account. That's not too bad indeed.

Does that 17-year total include 2012 and C50?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: September 13, 2016, 05:52:27 PM »

Seconded. Please, someone illustrate this!

LOL

lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: September 13, 2016, 06:18:29 PM »

The cover of the book is bad.. Like really bad.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #496 on: September 13, 2016, 06:36:25 PM »

Yeah, I think it's probably Foskett on the "Cubs" track, and sounds like Adrian Baker on the Hyatt Regency stuff. Don't really hear other BBs on either of those tracks.

No Mike love on Hear Comes The Cubs??? Man  I never heard that track before! Where did it come from?

Hell, probably.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #497 on: September 13, 2016, 06:38:25 PM »

Did someone already add "Be True To Your Bud"?

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 14, 2016, 07:03:32 AM »

My copy arrived yesterday. I haven't started it yet... only looked at the photos, many of which I hadn't seen before. Why do I think the photos will be my favorite part of the book?

Strangely, I got an email from Amazon this morning saying I'd been issued a refund for 45 cents for this order. I'm not sure why.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #499 on: September 14, 2016, 07:12:54 AM »

My copy arrived yesterday. I haven't started it yet... only looked at the photos, many of which I hadn't seen before. Why do I think the photos will be my favorite part of the book?

Strangely, I got an email from Amazon this morning saying I'd been issued a refund for 45 cents for this order. I'm not sure why.

It's probably because of Amazon's "pre-order price guarantee." If at any point between the time you place the order and the end of the product's release date, the price drops, you get refunded the difference. Usually, the price drops prior to being charged, so you just get charged the lower price. But if the price drops *after* you're charged, but prior to the end of the release date, then they have to issue you a refund.

So yeah, I've occasionally received emails from Amazon congratulating me: "You're getting a $0.01 refund!"
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:16:34 AM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx