gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:55:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's Book Discussion Thread (and how it relates to the SS board)  (Read 134410 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: August 31, 2016, 11:22:46 AM »

Let me also clarify that it was ME who did it...since so many people on the other board like to pin everything on Craig Roll Eyes

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 31, 2016, 11:25:53 AM »

Exactly, it's a team effort here despite the common "belief".

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: August 31, 2016, 11:32:34 AM »

Behind the Scenes of Beach Boys Frontman Mike Love's Memoir, Good Vibrations...

http://www.people.com/article/beach-boys-mike-love-memoir-good-vibrations
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 31, 2016, 12:30:44 PM »

Yes, the ever-insightful, in-depth coverage from "People" magazine.  I'll wait for the next review.  But thanks anyway. 
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: August 31, 2016, 12:57:50 PM »

Is that a new version of the original version of "Big Sur" in the background ?!?

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: August 31, 2016, 01:00:23 PM »

Found this in my morning newsfeed -- here's what People Magazine, which has long ago passed into the most shallow and frivolous of coverage, thinks about what's really important in Mike's book:

Beach Boy Book's Shocking Claim: Is There a New Charles Manson Murder Victim?
http://www.people.com/article/beach-boys-book-new-charles-manson-murder

This Friday's issue cover -- note the top headline:
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2016/news/160829/blac-chyna-cover-1435.jpg

Also a story on the book, more Manson obsessing:
Behind the Scenes of Beach Boys Frontman Mike Love's Memoir, Good Vibrations

Unfortunately, the cycle of cynicism and sensationalism that ends with these reports began with putting them in a book in the first place. As I've said many times, I would be surprised if one of the selling points to publishers on this book wasn't the Manson stuff, as it differentiates it from the million other rock and roll autobiographies.

I also doubt the veracity of the story itself for about fifty different and sometimes disparate reasons.

Whether it happened or not, this is not the first time Mike has mentioned this Dennis/Manson story - I recall he told the story on the Howard Stern show in either '88 or '92.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 31, 2016, 01:01:40 PM »

GF - I do get what you mean, about double entendre.  They don't know at 5 years old, what a "contact high" or "afternoon delight" is. But they do know "Back that ass up."

This goes against what you said previously:

What I can tell you is that when a Kindergartner comes into a class singing "Back that ass up; show me what you're working with..." - it is the beginning of "sexualizing" 5 year olds.  And, I think some controls (not censorship but perhaps labeling.) They don't even  realize what they are singing.

--

The point that I thought you were making is that it doesn't matter if the children know what they are saying or not - that the fact that they are singing these words despite not knowing their meaning has negative effects.
Let's not parse.  A 5 year old, riding a school bus from a housing project in a city, knows what an "ass" is where the older kids are singing all this stuff.  They likely do not know what a "contact high" is. 

And, Kokomo was written for an R-rated movie.  But, I suspect your own child is being gently-reared, which many of my students were unfortunately, not. 

And who the f*** are you to say what a five year old child from a housing project knows? Why would they know what an "ass" is but not getting "high"? Both seem on the same level of figuring out. Seems like you're making an excuse for the lyricist of "contact high" fame?

Also, how about this lyric:

"First I'll get you on the beach
Or in a swimming pool
Doing unto others is the Golden Rule
But doing it with you would be so
Very cool"

Would you be okay with your child listening to lyrics about "getting" a female on the beach or in the pool? And then more about how cool it would be to "do it" with her?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:02:35 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: August 31, 2016, 01:05:03 PM »

Is that a new version of the original version of "Big Sur" in the background ?!?

Yep, which might explain, and I stress *MIGHT* explain why the track was left off the MIC set in 2013; perhaps Mike was already planning to re-cut it (and re-cut it in that alternate, early arrangement).

It seemed like a no-brainer to put on MIC. It would stroke Mike's ego by giving him another allotted track, and even the most crusty Mike critics often agree it's not only probably the best Mike outtake out there, but one of the best Mike tracks the group cut, period.

Seems kinda needless to essentially re-create that outtake when it's sitting there and ready to release (with pristine young BB backing vocals to boot).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:12:41 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 31, 2016, 01:06:38 PM »

Wow, yeah. Sounds like it. Wish he'd just release the original version, but that is a good tune (and a good version of it) to cover if he's gonna do a cover.

But... the autotune on the lyric "away" during an apparently newly (?) recorded version of Fun Fun Fun is really, really prominent at 0:47 in the video. I guess Mike makes fun of Autotune, but only on Wilson product.

And 1:52, the burned-in text "A STORY AS RICH AND LAYERED AS THE BEACH BOY'S HARMONIES"... they couldn't get someone with proper grammar to proofread that?  Roll Eyes Not blaming Mike for that, but this is a bit embarrassing.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:27:16 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: August 31, 2016, 01:21:33 PM »

I guess Mike makes fun of Autotune, but only on Wilson product.

Truth.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: August 31, 2016, 01:41:44 PM »

and even the most crusty Mike critics often agree it's not only probably the best Mike outtake out there, but one of the best Mike tracks the group cut, period.

Agreed...it's a lovely song and should've been released on MIC.

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 31, 2016, 02:18:00 PM »

Just want to chime in for a moment, at my peril. A real shame that Mike felt the need to re-cut the backing vocal for the alternate Big Sur, and that may be the likely reason that it was left off MIC. That context for its release would have been ideal for any other reason than self-aggrandizement (the new chord twist on the backing vocals in the snippet of the re-done version is actually interesting, but the original was lovely and quite sufficient, although of course it is his prerogative to belatedly reconfigure a previously unreleased track no matter how much it's been booted or otherwise circulated). When Al did it with Loop De Loop, the result was solid, if a bit sterile.

As regards his alleged contribution of seed $ to the labeling effort, it is consistent with his conservative politics, but somewhat craven (surprise!) That John Denver was to his left on the issue is quite amusing, as was the post citing his banal and piggish lyrics about "doing it" etc. which is equally as boorish as "backing that ass up" IMO. And "Fille", not to be unduly "confrontative", but if a person needs a label to anticipate that a hip-hop song is more likely to contain lyrics potentially corruptive to young ears than a mainstream pop tune (the aforememtioned ML example notwithstanding), then perhaps they shouldn't be entrusted with the care of children. Which is not to say that labeling is all bad, but censorship is IMO.

One comment that I find irritating is that Dennis had "lasting guilt" over his Manson association, a somewhat uncharitable and self-serving re-phrasing and a dead horse which Mike seems determined to beat ad nauseum along with so many others. How about a more charitable view (what a concept) such as that Dennis's open heart, childhood emotional damage  and subsequent need for sensation resulted in some unfortunate, misguided choices which sadly ultimately led to an untimely end, but some forgiveness for his cousin rather than seemingly endless snarkiness and judgmentalism from the perspective of his more upper-class, Murry-less upbringing vantage point. Not forthcoming any time soon, methinks. I strive for objectivity and am not a gratuitous Mike-basher by any means BTW, appreciate his vocal, lyrical (when not in unbearable live self-parodying ultra-nasal mode) and yes, stage contributions (as far as keeping their music alive and in the public eye through the years) contributions very much, and I think see the totality of his various crosses to bear, both internally and externally created, as much as possible by anyone who is not himself him, he, hoo- hah!

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 02:24:32 PM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: August 31, 2016, 02:23:04 PM »

Just want to chime in for a moment, at my peril. A real shame that Mike felt the need to re-cut the backing vocal for the alternate Big Sur, and that may be the likely reason that it was left off MIC. That context for its release would have been ideal for any other reason than self-aggrandizement (the new chord twist on the backing vocals in the snippet of the re-done version is actually interesting, but the original was lovely and quite sufficient, although of course it is his prerogative to belatedly reconfigure a previously unreleased track no matter how much it's been booted or otherwise circulated). When Al did it with Loop De Loop, the result was solid, if a bit sterile.

As regards his alleged contribution of seed $ to the labeling effort, it is consistent with his conservative politics, but somewhat craven (surprise!) That John Denver was to his left on the issue is quite amusing, as was the post citing his banal and piggish lyrics about "doing it" etc. which is equally as boorish as "backing that ass up" IMO. And "Fille", not to be unduly "confrontative", but if a person needs a label to anticipate that a hip-hop song is more likely to contain lyrics potentially corruptive to young ears than a mainstream pop tune (the aforememtioned ML example notwithstanding), then perhaps they shouldn't be entrusted with the care of children. Which is not to say that labeling is all bad, but censorship is IMO.

One excerpt that I find irritating is that Dennis had "lasting guilt" over his Manson association, a somewhat spurious re-phrasing and a dead horse which Mike seems determined to beat ad nauseum along with so many others. How about a more charitable view (what a concept) such as that Dennis's open heart, childhood emotional damage  and subsequent need for sensation resulted in some unfortunate, misguided choices which sadly ultimately led to an untimely end, but some forgiveness for his cousin rather than seemingly endless snarkiness and judgmentalism from the perspective of his more upper-class, Murry-less upbringing vantage point. Not forthcoming any time soon, methinks. I strive for objectivity and am not a gratuitous Mike-basher by any means BTW, and I think see the totality of his various crosses to bear, both internally and externally created, as completely anyone who is not him.

All good points. Well put.

The specious guess or assertion that Dennis's death had directly much to do with the Manson saga reads more like what a novice biographer would say. Dennis died, and it was in that sort of "not a suicide, but could have been sorta a bit like that" fashion, and Dennis had a Manson connection, therefore a line is connected between the two.

I'm curious to read what Jon Stebbins might have to say about the theory that Dennis's death had any strong, significant tie to guilt related to the Manson case.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: August 31, 2016, 02:24:02 PM »

Dennis died, and it was in that sort of "not a suicide, but could have been sorta a bit like that" fashion, and Dennis had a Manson connection, therefore a line is connected between the two.

Classic case of 1+1=4.

jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 31, 2016, 02:58:39 PM »

This weeks People magazine , out Friday , will contain an excerpt from the book.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 31, 2016, 04:40:21 PM »

I'm not interested in any way whatsoever about the ML tree-killing effort. I read some excerpts, and they were more than enough. And thanks Billy for doing the right thing.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: August 31, 2016, 04:43:15 PM »

This weeks People magazine , out Friday , will contain an excerpt from the book.

I wonder if there's going to something similar for Brian's book. I doubt it just for the simple fact that this one is more up People's alley. As the saying goes, Controversy Creates Cash.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: August 31, 2016, 04:44:01 PM »

I'm not interested in any way whatsoever about the ML tree-killing effort. I read some excerpts, and they were more than enough. And thanks Billy for doing the right thing.

Thanks Thorgil....appreciate it.

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 31, 2016, 05:00:12 PM »

I did a whole post that disappeared into the SS-sphere.  Oops.  It's probably just as well.

I do make the assumption (possibly incorrectly, but it's him) that Brian's book will lack the salacious, regurgitated stuff that apparently pleases the "People" readers.  Poor marketing in some people's eyes, or preserving some degree of dignity in Brian's eyes, perhaps?  Time will tell.

May this month be over soon, so that we can get to something inspiring, hopefully.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: August 31, 2016, 05:04:44 PM »

I did a whole post that disappeared into the SS-sphere.  Oops.  It's probably just as well.

I do make the assumption (possibly incorrectly, but it's him) that Brian's book will lack the salacious, regurgitated stuff that apparently pleases the "People" readers.  Poor marketing in some people's eyes, or preserving some degree of dignity in Brian's eyes, perhaps?  Time will tell.

May this month be over soon, so that we can get to something inspiring, hopefully.

I think you're right.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 31, 2016, 05:44:01 PM »

Meanwhile,  the other guys are convinced we're delusional liars.  AGD says the ghostwriter visited SS once for correction on audio engineering lingo.

Really?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 31, 2016, 05:57:03 PM »

Man that place makes me glad GF and Billy cleaned up our board!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 05:57:50 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: August 31, 2016, 06:15:22 PM »

Meanwhile,  the other guys are convinced we're delusional liars.  AGD says the ghostwriter visited SS once for correction on audio engineering lingo.

Really?

Might have...don't know for sure. For all we know, he could've interviewed Cam  off the board. Or Cam could've sold him a sign...

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 31, 2016, 06:37:38 PM »

Really?

Might have...don't know for sure. For all we know, he could've interviewed Cam  off the board. Or Cam could've sold him a sign...

LOL  Yeah, no one ever said that the author copied and pasted stuff from here - just that the talking points were remarkably familiar between certain posters here over the past few years and what apparently is in the book.  That could mean a number of things, or be a stunning, remarkable coincidence.  Who knows?

I do want one of those Mott signs.  Well, maybe I don't.  All I know about Emporia, KS is that I have to endure thunderstorms that pop up there, b*stards!  Well, and then there is their Governor and Atty Gen'l, but that's Sandbox material.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: August 31, 2016, 06:51:59 PM »

Or Litterbox material...

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx