gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:10:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike’s new PBS special (and an interesting new BBs compilation)  (Read 34287 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2016, 09:12:28 AM »

That was the pilot episode before it was recast. "Featuring music legend Little Richard as the harried principal Mr. Belding"

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2016, 09:16:10 AM »

I love how numerous BB collaborations could never even be bothered to get a shot of the band with the collaborator together. They were always awkward clip jobs:

And here's a super rare unreleased piece of cover art:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2016, 09:19:11 AM »

Man, I never knew Robbie Robertson played in a BB tribute band...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2016, 09:29:08 AM »

At least this tribute band has Don Goldberg, which I *think* is the "Sweet and Bitter" guy:

Meanwhile, this guy is trying with the circa-1984 Mike Love hat:

Even more ironically, when Google looks for "similar images" to pics of the BBs from the 80s, you also get this:

Back to "Happy Endings", it's even weirder they couldn't get a pic of them all together, because I recall that there was an interview with the band and Little Richard around the time the single was released. They were in the same room at some point.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2016, 09:31:14 AM »

Now that would be something to photograph - A meeting between the only two guys in rock and roll history who really knew how to wear a gold turban on stage!  Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2016, 05:43:46 PM »

I love how numerous BB collaborations could never even be bothered to get a shot of the band with the collaborator together. They were always awkward clip jobs:

And here's a super rare unreleased piece of cover art:

I used to HAVE that!!!

Wipeout, not whatever in hell the other thing is.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2016, 07:58:51 PM »

Why on earth, when paired with Little Richard, did the guys decide to go for the slowest song possible? I would have loved to have heard Richard paired with the Boys on Rock 'N' Roll to the Rescue.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2016, 07:09:24 AM »

Back to "Happy Endings", it's even weirder they couldn't get a pic of them all together, because I recall that there was an interview with the band and Little Richard around the time the single was released. They were in the same room at some point.

There was a TV-interview with Mike, Bruce and Little Richard. The other guys weren't there.

->  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRIYmqRlt6Y

But Brian appeared in a Little Richard music video for a song he recorded in the late 80s or early 90s. Might be for "Itsy bitsy spider" but I don't remember

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2016, 07:29:57 AM »

But Brian appeared in a Little Richard music video for a song he recorded in the late 80s or early 90s. Might be for "Itsy bitsy spider" but I don't remember

Apparently Brian's in here somewhere. The visual quality is truly abysmal:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2zrnk_little-richard-w-brian-wilson-araig_animals

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2016, 07:39:48 AM »

I think I got a screengrab of what I'm *guessing* is Brian from that video (in the yellow shirt), although the quality on the video is super awful:

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2016, 10:18:30 AM »

Yes, thanks guys! That is Brian! He "plays" trumpet in that video.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2016, 11:58:44 PM »

Holy hell....that looks like Bob Ross  tried to paint a portrait of Penn &  Teller using watercolors while tripping on shrooms.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 03, 2016, 08:10:34 AM »

There was a TV-interview with Mike, Bruce and Little Richard. The other guys weren't there.

This may be the most recent footage we have of Bruce audibly playing any given keyboarded instrument he's seated (or standing) at.
The Cool One
Smiley Smile Associate

WOW

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2016, 09:32:53 AM »

Where i Can find the upgrade of the music video that appears on the clip

the version posted on youtube has a bad quality
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2016, 06:25:56 PM »

Finally got around to watching this on my DVR. The music video for Kokomo was a version I had never seen before--it had all the footage from Cocktail replaced with generic beach/paradise looking scenes. The new scenes were all HD quality, which was a bit out of place when included with the shots of the band on the beach at the Grand Floridian at Walt Disney World.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2016, 06:35:46 PM »

Finally got around to watching this on my DVR. The music video for Kokomo was a version I had never seen before--it had all the footage from Cocktail replaced with generic beach/paradise looking scenes. The new scenes were all HD quality, which was a bit out of place when included with the shots of the band on the beach at the Grand Floridian at Walt Disney World.

I noticed that too, it was as you said all of the Cocktail imagery was edited out and replaced by what looked like modern stock footage of tropical/island scenery and activities. It didn't gel at all, but I think we can venture a guess as to why the Cocktail footage was cut out, beyond the obvious potential copyright/usage and licensing points.

Not to open up an old debate, but I remember seeing that video many, many times on MTV when it was new and later on VH-1 as a 'classic', and the film's success and Tom Cruise and all the tie-ins helped drive that song on the charts, video and radio/sales. IMO. It was cross-promotion just as Miami Vice did with any number of songs like Smugglers Blues or In The Air Tonight after they were linked to the show.

But yeah, this was unexpected and a little jarring too when they ran the clip and those modern images came on.

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2016, 06:41:03 PM »

Holy hell....that looks like Bob Ross  tried to paint a portrait of Penn &  Teller using watercolors while tripping on shrooms.

I wasn't really looking at this thread, and I needed some comedy today.  Now I have it before I wander off to sort-of entertain my husband and deal with other normal things in the physical world  It'still there, right?  How far we drift.
donbrhoden
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2016, 01:49:34 PM »

I just got the CDs today. No Happy Endings. False advertising.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2016, 02:22:33 PM »

Was "Happy Endings" listed when PBS aired this special?

Mark Linett posted at the end of August that "Happy Endings" wasn't on the CD and provided the correct tracklisting.

donbrhoden
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2016, 02:42:50 PM »

My mistake.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2016, 03:05:40 PM »

The good news is that Mike recorded a new version of “Surfin’ USA” for the various-artist collection in addition to “Do It Again.”
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 03:06:22 PM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2016, 03:12:34 PM »

Dammit Mike, stop rerecording stuff... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2016, 03:22:46 PM »

Dammit Mike, stop rerecording stuff... Roll Eyes

Say what you will, but the new DIA kills.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 03, 2016, 08:46:50 PM »

can someone post the new versions online somewhere?
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2016, 11:29:03 AM »

Just going off of the inclusion of Summer of Love, I assume the Lovester is behind this despicable track listing?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx