gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:10:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike’s new PBS special (and an interesting new BBs compilation)  (Read 34490 times)
KDS
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2016, 01:43:41 PM »

I find it interesting that four of the six new songs from Still Cruisin are included.  Only Make It Big and In My Car didn't make it.  

Trying to drum up interest for a reissue?  Maybe?  With bonus tracks from that era that were left off MIC?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:56:30 PM by KDS » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2016, 01:44:28 PM »

I would hope so!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2016, 03:06:45 PM »

Maybe they added some lesser known beach boys songs to try to get the fans more interested in some of their later stuff and find interest in buying more then just a Greatest Hit album and maybe start collecting more beach boys songs/albums? Just a guess! I dont know why else there would be so much more lesser known 80s/90s material.

Maybe in the coming months we will finally get a reissue of Still Cruisin'
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:10:08 PM by The_Beach » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2016, 03:43:16 PM »

I find it interesting that four of the six new songs from Still Cruisin are included.  Only Make It Big and In My Car didn't make it.  

Trying to drum up interest for a reissue?  Maybe?  With bonus tracks from that era that were left off MIC?

Make it Big = undeservedly, the Rodney Dangerfield of BBs late 80s tracks.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2016, 04:14:06 PM »

Maybe these are the Summer Favorites by the Beach Boys of the GenXer(s) who put the CD together for PBS?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2016, 04:54:50 PM »

Maybe these are the Summer Favorites by the Beach Boys of the GenXer(s) who put the CD together for PBS?

I can't imagine "Summer of Love" is anyone's favorite anything.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2016, 05:09:58 PM »

Summer of Love is basically the most widely laughed-at officially released BB song ever.   

Plus, to bookend the song Surf's Up with Wipeout on one end, and Kokomo on the other... that triple shot of songs is friggin' weird sh*t, man. Especially in the internet era where BB fanboys' opinions are known and known well.

I tend to think it's either somebody's idea of a joke, a possible deliberate f*ck you to anyone who dares to think that any one of those songs is MILES and MILES and MILES above the other two (as in an attempt to equalize the three, with the implication that the three could actually flow into each other in any sort of proper way), or that choice was made by someone totally zero awareness. Take your pick. It baffles.

Let's face it... if someone on this board was given the opportunity to actually sequence a compilation CD - with the actual, sole intent of trolling people and making people laugh and say "WTF" - could you do a better job than Good Vibrations -> Summer of Love -> Kokomo -> Surf's Up -> Wipeout?

That said, at least it's more interesting than the same old regurgitated classics compiled over and over again. At least there's something different to laugh about and ponder!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 05:28:34 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2016, 06:50:17 PM »

Summer of Love is basically the most widely laughed-at officially released BB song ever.   

Plus, to bookend the song Surf's Up with Wipeout on one end, and Kokomo on the other... that triple shot of songs is friggin' weird sh*t, man. Especially in the internet era where BB fanboys' opinions are known and known well.

I tend to think it's either somebody's idea of a joke, a possible deliberate f*ck you to anyone who dares to think that any one of those songs is MILES and MILES and MILES above the other two (as in an attempt to equalize the three, with the implication that the three could actually flow into each other in any sort of proper way), or that choice was made by someone totally zero awareness. Take your pick. It baffles.

Let's face it... if someone on this board was given the opportunity to actually sequence a compilation CD - with the actual, sole intent of trolling people and making people laugh and say "WTF" - could you do a better job than Good Vibrations -> Summer of Love -> Kokomo -> Surf's Up -> Wipeout?

That said, at least it's more interesting than the same old regurgitated classics compiled over and over again. At least there's something different to laugh about and ponder!

That is really something to ponder about!!!

But i bet majority of the people who bought it would prefer Kokomo over Good Vibrations because they remember when Kokomo came out and charted at number 1 but were to young to remember Good Vibration or not even born yet when Good Vibrations topped the charts
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2016, 07:10:39 AM »

Yes...in THIS day and age...as Kokomo is their most recent truly BIG hit song...and as it appeals to more folks in the crowd because of that FACT...it seems to garner a bigger response than almost all of the other songs included on the set list.

Mike's hosting of the PBS 'special'/fund raiser was slow and pedestrian to start but as he picked up steam and confidence and began to relax into the 'role' he did a pretty good job as the host.  Bruce is more comfortable in front of a camera.  Dean?  Not so much.

See?  Even *I* can complement the cold-hearted old fart when he does something 1/2 decent.   Shrug  Maybe one day that'll happen when he's not on stage or on camera too.  Listening

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2016, 07:53:05 AM »

But i bet majority of the people who bought it would prefer Kokomo over Good Vibrations because they remember when Kokomo came out and charted at number 1 but were to young to remember Good Vibration or not even born yet when Good Vibrations topped the charts

It's impossible to say, but I'd say the demographic that calls into PBS pledges skews older. They often run "Doo Wop" shows during pledge season that feature music a decade OLDER than "Good Vibrations", and don't tend to show nearly as many artists who came up in the late 80s or early 90s.

So I'd say a typical person pledging would be more likely to be familiar with the older stuff.

Also, the younger, indie hipster nerd fans of Brian and the BBs that are out there tend, *very generally*, to be more into the "Smile" stuff and older deep cuts, and a bit less into, say, the "Still Crusin'" or "Summer in Paradise" albums.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2016, 12:08:58 PM »

This is the correct tracklist for the Beach Boys disc on the PBS summer classics set.

1- SURFIN USA
2- CA. GIRLS
3-SURFER GIRL
4-FUN FUN FUN
5-WARMTH OF THE SUN
6-LITTLE DEUCE COUPE
7-I GET AROUND
8- DON’T WORRY BABY
9-GOIN TO THE BEACH
10-CA. FEELING
11-SURFS UP
12-SUMMER MEANS NEW LOVE
13-KOKOMO
14-WOULDN’T IT BE NICE
15-GOD ONLY KNOWS
16-GOOD VIBRATIONS
17- BARBARA ANN
18-SOMEWHERE NEAR JAPAN
19-STILL CRUISIN
20-SUMMER OF LOVE
21-ISLAND GIRL
22-WIPE OUT
23-SUMMER IN PARADISE
24-ALL SUMMER LONG-ACAPELLA
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2016, 12:21:11 PM »

Thank you, sir!

So "Happy Endings" didn't make it after all...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2016, 12:49:51 PM »

Ok not as bad, although a chronological running order may have been less jarring...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2016, 12:56:55 PM »

I just realized that not only does the CD have 5 of the 7 "non-oldies" from the "Still Cruisin'" album, it has all three of the oldies as well. 8 out of the 10 songs total.

It's nearly just a *really* expanded version of the "Still Cruisin'" album.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2016, 01:19:55 PM »

OK, I just checked the Atlanta PBS listings to see if the show was still on for tonight, but it isn't. It looks like we'll have to wait until the next begathon to see it.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2016, 01:28:23 PM »

Bring back happy endings!!
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2016, 09:07:41 PM »

I thought Mike did as well as anyone who has hosted a PBS show.
The Cool One
Smiley Smile Associate

WOW

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2016, 04:35:22 AM »

This is the correct tracklist for the Beach Boys disc on the PBS summer classics set.

1- SURFIN USA
2- CA. GIRLS
3-SURFER GIRL
4-FUN FUN FUN
5-WARMTH OF THE SUN
6-LITTLE DEUCE COUPE
7-I GET AROUND
8- DON’T WORRY BABY
9-GOIN TO THE BEACH
10-CA. FEELING
11-SURFS UP
12-SUMMER MEANS NEW LOVE
13-KOKOMO
14-WOULDN’T IT BE NICE
15-GOD ONLY KNOWS
16-GOOD VIBRATIONS
17- BARBARA ANN
18-SOMEWHERE NEAR JAPAN
19-STILL CRUISIN
20-SUMMER OF LOVE
21-ISLAND GIRL
22-WIPE OUT
23-SUMMER IN PARADISE

This is not a happy ending
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2016, 06:17:34 AM »

1- SURFIN USA
2- CA. GIRLS
3-SURFER GIRL
4-FUN FUN FUN
5-WARMTH OF THE SUN
6-LITTLE DEUCE COUPE
7-I GET AROUND
8- DON’T WORRY BABY
9-GOIN TO THE BEACH
10-CA. FEELING
11-SURFS UP
12-SUMMER MEANS NEW LOVE
13-KOKOMO
14-WOULDN’T IT BE NICE
15-GOD ONLY KNOWS
16-GOOD VIBRATIONS
17- BARBARA ANN
18-SOMEWHERE NEAR JAPAN
19-STILL CRUISIN
20-SUMMER OF LOVE
21-ISLAND GIRL
22-WIPE OUT
23-SUMMER IN PARADISE

So the tracklist has changed? I copied what I posted earlier from one of the local PBS sites that were offering the 5-disc set for their fund drive. I'm just wondering how/when/why it changed from what PBS stations were listing to the revision above. Looks like they also changed the sequencing for some reason.

Here's the one I took from a PBS station website when I posted it earlier, for comparison. Again, that came direct from PBS. maybe a case of them jumping the gun?

Beach Boys Summer Favorites CD + Beach Music Classic 4-CD Set

CD #1  The Beach Boys: Summer Favorites
1.    California Girls
2.    I Get Around
3.     Surfer Girl
4.    Wouldn’t It Be Nice
5.    Summer Means New Love
6.    Goin’ To The Beach
7.    Little Deuce Coupe
8.    God Only Knows
9.    Still Cruisin’
10.    Surfin’ USA
11.    Summer In Paradise
12.    The Warmth Of The Sun
13.    Barbara Ann
14.    California Feelin’
15.    Fun, Fun, Fun
16.    Island Girl
17.    Don’t Worry Baby
18.    Somewhere Near Japan
19.    Good Vibrations
20.    Summer Of Love
21.    Kokomo
22.    Surf’s Up
23.    Wipe Out – with The Fat Boys
24.    Happy Endings – with Little Richard
25.    All Summer Long (a cappella version)

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2016, 08:12:54 AM »

Wow that is really stupid they changed the track list after they sold it! That makes this set worthless now! I am sure some poeple bought this set to just get Happy Endings on a CD finally instead of just a bootleg! I almost bought it for that reason alone but then my PBS was off air when it showed! Thank goodness it was or I would of wasted $150. Maybe someday Happy Endings will come out on a nicer and cheaper compilation! I will be interested in that!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2016, 08:40:58 AM »

If anyone needs "Happy Endings" that badly, it's on YouTube right now or you can buy an original copy of the single for as little as $8 online (maybe even cheaper).

There's even a single with two different mixes/edits of the song!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2016, 08:45:36 AM »

It's even a "Hot New Mix"!  Grin  Whatever that means.

Seriously though, I'm wondering what changed in the process to have different tracklistings from a PBS website advertising the set to now, and how and why the BB's entry on this CD set was changed at all. It is, essentially, a repackage of Still Cruisin with some expected additions and some unexpected omissions. It's still not making much sense at this point. Unless the initial tracklist sent to the PBS stations to post and promote for their fundraising was a mistake, who knows.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2016, 08:56:36 AM »

I want those clothes! Razz

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2016, 08:58:53 AM »

One thought after seeing that photo: "Saved By The Bell"

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2016, 09:02:45 AM »

Saved by the Love..... Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx