gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:26:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike’s new PBS special (and an interesting new BBs compilation)  (Read 34303 times)
KDS
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2016, 12:54:49 PM »

There is still a Live at the Hollywood Bowl video that may already be completely mixed, edited, and ready for release that has mysteriously never come out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Mg8_HOIiw

Maybe one day as part of a live anthology.  But, I doubt we'll see any stand alone C50 releases while there's a version of The Beach Boys on the road. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2016, 01:07:46 PM »

There is still a Live at the Hollywood Bowl video that may already be completely mixed, edited, and ready for release that has mysteriously never come out.

Maybe one day as part of a live anthology.  But, I doubt we'll see any stand alone C50 releases while there's a version of The Beach Boys on the road. 

Agreed, and that is really, really sad.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2016, 01:10:44 PM »

Tongue To borrow a song title, Strange world...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Cool One
Smiley Smile Associate

WOW

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2016, 02:38:49 PM »

that´s it´s te thing  that the beach boys must release

various cd and dvd including live perfomances
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2016, 08:33:45 PM »

Agree and Some deeper live cuts not just fun fun fun, surfin USA and God Only Knows
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2016, 07:59:52 PM »

During the pledge drive segments, I noticed they listed “Do It Again” by Mike Love as one of the songs included in the pledge drive gifts, and they played a brief clip of what sounded like a new recording. Anyone else catch that?

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2016, 08:02:28 PM »

During the pledge drive segments, I noticed they listed “Do It Again” by Mike Love as one of the songs included in the pledge drive gifts, and they played a brief clip of what sounded like a new recording. Anyone else catch that?

how far was that into the pledge?
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2016, 08:07:32 PM »

I think they had three segments asking for donations and played the clip during the second segment.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2016, 08:21:21 PM »

Cool! I didnt get to hear it. I think my PBS is blacked out right now for some reason! I was really disappointing does anyone know if it is available online or on the pbs website?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2016, 09:19:29 PM »

After the 2011 rerecording of "Do It Again", I'm hard pressed to think of a more useless, redundant idea than to rerecord it AGAIN.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2016, 09:29:56 PM »

I think they had three segments asking for donations and played the clip during the second segment.

Perhaps it's this?  It says Adrian Baker but it has Mike on lead vocals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUUPw2PdXaQ

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2016, 10:01:20 PM »

Are those CD's or 8-tracks?   LOL

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
The Cool One
Smiley Smile Associate

WOW

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2016, 12:28:28 AM »

Like Rock and Roll Woman, Runaway, Monster Mash, Blue City or more.

I´ll Make a thread for this

Agree and Some deeper live cuts not just fun fun fun, surfin USA and God Only Knows
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2016, 05:52:32 AM »

Perhaps it's this?  It says Adrian Baker but it has Mike on lead vocals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUUPw2PdXaQ

I don’t think it was the Adrian Baker recording. What I heard sounded fuller production-wise and it seemed to actually rock. But who knows, it could be. I only heard the clip once, and it was probably less than 10 seconds long.

KDS
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2016, 05:53:57 AM »

I don’t think it was the Adrian Baker recording. What I heard sounded fuller production-wise and it seemed to actually rock. But who knows, it could be. I only heard the clip once, and it was probably less than 10 seconds long.

Shot in the dark, but could they have used the C50 version? 
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2016, 06:25:26 AM »

Possible, but not sure why they credited it to Mike Love. What’s strange is that “Do It Again” by any performer isn’t listed in the track listings of any of the 5 CDs, at least according to the information on WETA’s pledge website.

KDS
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2016, 06:31:13 AM »

Possible, but not sure why they credited it to Mike Love. What’s strange is that “Do It Again” by any performer isn’t listed in the track listings of any of the 5 CDs, at least according to the information on WETA’s pledge website.

True.  Maybe they used a live version from a recent Beach Boys show, and can't call it "The Beach Boys."  Very odd that it wouldn't be on any of the CDs though. 

I have the special sitting on my DVR, so I might catch it this weekend.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2016, 10:14:47 AM »

I caught this special a few nights ago, it was on around midnight on one of the local PBS stations. For a PBS "special", there wasn't much of interest or new beyond a chance to listen to a mix tape of summer related songs. The videos were mostly the usual, whatever could be licensed to use and in some cases were either ones most fans of any of these groups would have seen. More disappointing - though I know there are usage and license (financial) concerns - is that some of the clips were poor representations of the various artists and songs back in the 60's, and are still pretty poor today. It's fun to see the bands and artists in their prime, but the obvious miming and non-interest of the band members isn't something that would be a draw. The Lovin Spoonful was shown in a clip at an amusement park miming to Summer In The City, and the highlights there were seeing Zal trying to break up the other band members as they gamely tried to mouth the words, and also some neat shots taken with a handheld camera on an aerial cable ride where you could see a mid-60's amusement park or carnival in full flight. But the rest were promo clips, some good and some non-essential.

Another example - The Surfaris are shown miming to Wipe Out in a clip shot in what looked like 1966 or 1967, you could tell by the guitars/instruments and the age of the band members. It was a curio, but it wasn't quite in line with what made instrumental surf music what it was at it's best, and it was the band past their prime on one of the "revivals" and rereleases of the Wipe Out single.

One of the few truly live clips, and what I'd call essential, was Eddie Cochran playing Summertime Blues completely live, which stood out among the other clips being synched to remastered versions of the songs. I wish they had more of that, and there are plenty of examples that could have been used had licensing and fees probably not have gotten in the way.

I Get Around was the oft-seen lip-synch of the band miming to the record that got used in the parody "Beach Boys Shred" Youtube clip. So it isn't anything I'd really need to make an appointment to see.

Which, perhaps, is the biggest disappointment. I'm a *big* fan of PBS entertainment and music documentaries, when they get all the parts right and are hitting on all cylinders. Series like "American Masters" can be as good as an entertainment documentary can get, specifically thinking of the ones on Johnny Carson and Bing Crosby. When they literally open the vaults and archives and bring out new and fascinating items and info, I want to keep watching over and over. The Carson one in particular was absolutely terrific, and engrossing.

This one felt like an infomercial, in fact it wouldn't be out of place among any late-night channel surf that finds those 30 minute infomercials for Time-Life and other multi-disc music collections, complete with a 60's celebrity and a lot of lip-synch clips.

Mike really didn't add much to the program, it felt like he was there as a pitchman introducing the clips. That's about all i can say, there was nothing that didn't look like any number of music collection infomercials, and it didn't feel like a PBS production along the lines of the usual high standard they set with their programs.

The CD collection? I don't get it. We could go into the reasons and rationale behind including late 80's Beach Boys cuts, and it's not hard to suss that out considering the whole program itself, but do people going into this buying "classic" summer related songs really want 80's and 90's music on there among the genuine classics? Would the average Joe fan cue up a 1991-92 Beach Boys synth-driven record after cranking the Spoonful and Mungo Jerry, or whatever? I doubt it, which is why this doesn't feel right as a collection. Just another chance to repackage the hits, and add some money into the coffers by tacking on non-essential tracks. I might call it a sales gimmick.

This issue of Do It Again...why not use the original that everyone knows and loves? And has it been determined which "new" remake of the song was used? I must have dozed off when it was heard on the show because I don't remember hearing it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2016, 10:52:19 AM »

TJ Lubinsky confirmed on the BSN Stereo board that Mike cut a new version of Do It Again just for this project.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2016, 10:58:34 AM »

TJ Lubinsky confirmed on the BSN Stereo board that Mike cut a new version of Do It Again just for this project.

That explains it - But is it billed/labeled as "The Beach Boys" or as another band name on this collection's tracklisting? I didn't even check the full list, but is the original Beach Boys "Do It Again" on this full set as well, or is this remake now replacing it for fans who buy this set?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2016, 11:12:26 AM »

That explains it - But is it billed/labeled as "The Beach Boys" or as another band name on this collection's tracklisting? I didn't even check the full list, but is the original Beach Boys "Do It Again" on this full set as well, or is this remake now replacing it for fans who buy this set?

It’s not listed in any of the track listings I could find for the five CDs, but I’ll report back when I get my set in a couple weeks (I’m a weak man).

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2016, 12:11:49 PM »

Facepalm.

While I'm glad to see any BB member in 2016 cutting music in a studio for any reason, this is just baffling to hear, IMO.

David Marks in 2016 cuts a new version of the overlooked emotional BB powerhouse Cuddle Up, while Mike cuts a new new version of Do It Again, which was already re-recorded and re-released in 2011/2012. Why is this necessary? To remove pesky the Brian Wilson + Al Jardine from the recording or something? Not saying Brian didn't remove BB backing vocals from Soul Searchin', but this seems really, really particularly unnecessary in light of the recent surprisingly good full band DIA remake. Of *all* the BB songs Mike could have remade... why this?

I was even glad to hear Mike's take on Ballad of Ol' Betsy on NASCAR just for the novelty of hearing a studio recording with a different BB lead vocalist on a track. This remake seems more pointless than anything I could possibly think of. Was the 2011 DIA just underwhelming in Mike's eyes, and this was gonna "fix" it?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:16:21 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2016, 12:35:23 PM »

Facepalm.

While I'm glad to see any BB member in 2016 cutting music in a studio for any reason, this is just baffling to hear, IMO.

David Marks in 2016 cuts a new version of the overlooked emotional BB powerhouse Cuddle Up, while Mike cuts a new new version of Do It Again, which was already re-recorded and re-released in 2011/2012. Why is this necessary? To remove pesky the Brian Wilson + Al Jardine from the recording or something? Not saying Brian didn't remove BB backing vocals from Soul Searchin', but this seems really, really particularly unnecessary in light of the recent surprisingly good full band DIA remake. Of *all* the BB songs Mike could have remade... why this?

I was even glad to hear Mike's take on Ballad of Ol' Betsy on NASCAR just for the novelty of hearing a studio recording with a different BB lead vocalist on a track. This remake seems more pointless than anything I could possibly think of. Was the 2011 DIA just underwhelming in Mike's eyes, and this was gonna "fix" it?

Yeah he just HAD to erase most talented surviving members due to sour grapes. No other reason. I've always given Mike his due artistically,  but he's been a douche in recent years.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2016, 12:57:23 PM »

Maybe DO It Again is for his new solo album. I think Mike just really loves the song in this day of age because he is Do(ing) it Again for the 50th Ann of Pet Sounds. Which is the reason why he rerecorded the song agin
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2016, 01:07:54 PM »

Maybe DO It Again is for his new solo album. I think Mike just really loves the song in this day of age because he is Do(ing) it Again for the 50th Ann of Pet Sounds. Which is the reason why he rerecorded the song agin

But what if he cuts it yet again the year after this? And then twice more the year after that? Would 13 Do it Again remakes in the next 3 years be enough for you to say it's ludicrous?  Has Do It Again become Mike's Shortenin' Bread riff?

At a certain point, let's admit that it's unarguably getting redundant and silly! Everyone must have a breaking point with a certain number of remakes of a given song, especially when the song was recently remade well with the full band (and used specifically as a lyrical/content tie-in to the C50 reunion... this is kinda sh*tting on that too, I might add).

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 01:15:51 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx