gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:18:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1983 SMiLE bootleg. Anywhere online to hear it??  (Read 6951 times)
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2016, 06:17:15 PM »

From my understanding the 1983 "Brother Records" bootleg LP was the first SMiLE boot to make it to the public but unfortunately I have never heard it. 
I would like to hear what the material available at the time sounded like and what the bootleggers chose to put on the album.   
Is there anywhere it can be heard online or somewhere to find an MP3 of it??   
The earliest SMiLE boot I have heard is the Vigotone from the early nineties and I would like to check out the very first.   
thanks
michel neurophile
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 09:57:42 PM »

The line-up is there :
https://www.discogs.com/fr/Beach-Boys-Smile/release/2668141

Michel.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 08:27:23 PM »

It's quite awful, to be honest.

At least on my copy, the volume fluctuates from WAY too loud to almost inaudible; one song (labeled "Holidays") is a phony, a Miles Davis track intentionally miscredited as a Beach Boys outtake; "Smiley Smile" songs are used in place of "Smile" versions not circulating yet; and again, at least on mine, "Surf's Up" is distorted to the point of being painfully unlistenable.

I understand the historical value it had, but it's EASILY the *worst* Smile bootleg in existence.
HeroesandVillains
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 03:23:08 PM »

At least on my copy, the volume fluctuates from WAY too loud to almost inaudible; one song (labeled "Holidays") is a phony, a Miles Davis track intentionally miscredited as a Beach Boys outtake; "Smiley Smile" songs are used in place of "Smile" versions not circulating yet; and again, at least on mine, "Surf's Up" is distorted to the point of being painfully unlistenable.

I understand the historical value it had, but it's EASILY the *worst* Smile bootleg in existence.

From what I've heard, Bootleggers used "Here comes De Honey Man" as a form of copy protection.
So if anyone tried to bootleg their bootleg, they would know. They apologized for it on the second pressing of the bootleg.
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 04:31:18 PM »

I am just curious to how it all sounded together Smiley    I guess for listening I should stick to Sea of Tunes and Vigotone.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 07:34:53 PM »

Guessing nobody knows for sure but how were these tracks leaked in 1983? Does anyone know how they got them?
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 10:12:43 AM »

That would involve naming names .
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 11:10:36 AM »

What must it have been like to have been one of the first fans to acquire these tracks, before the boot was even "released"? Sparking up a doobie and soaking into the SMiLE album (while almost nobody outside of the band had ever heard these tracks up until that point) must have been an unbelievable experience.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 11:49:13 AM »

Guessing nobody knows for sure but how were these tracks leaked in 1983? Does anyone know how they got them?

Sure we know.  The Byron Preiss book researchers were asked if they could get Brian a copy of This Could Be the Night by the Modern Folk Quartet (co-written and produced by Phil spector).  They did (it was on Phil Spector Rarities Vol 5, an album released in the UK) and they were asked by Diane if there was anything they wanted in return.  They asked for a Smile tape.  To their surprise, a tape arrived in the mail which has become known as the "Fire tape."

Do You Like Worms
Fire (no sound effects)
Fire (sound effects)
Can’t Wait Too Long (3 pieces)
Old Master Painter (instrumental)
Barnyard (actually “false Barnyard")

Supposedly Dennis assisted Diane in getting the tapes from the archive and copying them for the Preiss guys.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 12:03:17 PM »

Sure we know.  The Byron Preiss book researchers were asked if they could get Brian a copy of This Could Be the Night by the Modern Folk Quartet (co-written and produced by Phil spector).  They did (it was on Phil Spector Rarities Vol 5, an album released in the UK) and they were asked by Diane if there was anything they wanted in return.  They asked for a Smile tape.  To their surprise, a tape arrived in the mail which has become known as the "Fire tape."

Do You Like Worms
Fire (no sound effects)
Fire (sound effects)

Supposedly Dennis assisted Diane in getting the tapes from the archive and copying them for the Preiss guys.

That is an incredible story. To think of Denny, at that late point, perhaps giving a listen to some old SMiLE tunes at such a low point in his life. Not to mention taking the time (along with Diane) to make it happen.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 12:20:46 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeroesandVillains
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 01:51:33 PM »

Sure we know.  The Byron Preiss book researchers were asked if they could get Brian a copy of This Could Be the Night by the Modern Folk Quartet (co-written and produced by Phil spector).  They did (it was on Phil Spector Rarities Vol 5, an album released in the UK) and they were asked by Diane if there was anything they wanted in return.  They asked for a Smile tape.  To their surprise, a tape arrived in the mail which has become known as the "Fire tape."

Do You Like Worms
Fire (no sound effects)
Fire (sound effects)

What the hell even is "False Barnyard"?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 01:59:39 PM »

From what I've heard, Bootleggers used "Here comes De Honey Man" as a form of copy protection.
So if anyone tried to bootleg their bootleg, they would know. They apologized for it on the second pressing of the bootleg.

i think it may have been on the original tape given to whomever booted it as a form of 'watermarking', but I don't know for sure.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 06:25:47 AM »

I heard a fan tape about a year before the 1st vinyl boot - those were interesting and exciting times.  I still have those original boots - the first and second edition - are they collectable?

At that point I had no hope that BDW would ever make any meaningful music again or that we would ever hear anything approaching a completed SMiLE.  In many ways it has worked out much better than I ever could have dreamed.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 08:09:26 AM »

I can confirm that there was a cassette that was circulating in L.A. in about 1982 with Worms, Fire, Bicycle Rider etc... I had a copy and it was mind-blowing to hear this in the context of that time. My first impression was how dark and creepy it was, probably the murky sound quality added to that impression. To me hearing Mrs. O Leary's Cow confirmed that the Smile music was mad genius and barrier shattering for 66/67 and it really saddened me to know that it was still unreleased in '82 considering the perception of the Beach Boys as lightweight artists at that time.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 10:59:23 AM »

<<Sure we know.  The Byron Preiss book researchers were asked if they could get Brian a copy of This Could Be the Night by the Modern Folk Quartet (co-written and produced by Phil spector).  They did (it was on Phil Spector Rarities Vol 5, an album released in the UK) and they were asked by Diane if there was anything they wanted in return.  They asked for a Smile tape.  To their surprise, a tape arrived in the mail which has become known as the "Fire tape."

Supposedly Dennis assisted Diane in getting the tapes from the archive and copying them for the Preiss guys.>>

Just a note of historical order... The Byron Preiss book was published in 1979.  The 1983 version was a reissue with additional material.  So this would mean Preiss had access to this material in 1978.  And given the fact that the Smile tracks were not the only unreleased material he described - I've always assumed that A.) this book was authorized, or semi-authorized, and he had full access to the vaults when writing it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:29:39 AM by Steve Latshaw » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 11:27:45 AM »

I can confirm that there was a cassette that was circulating in L.A. in about 1982 with Worms, Fire, Bicycle Rider etc... I had a copy and it was mind-blowing to hear this in the context of that time. My first impression was how dark and creepy it was, probably the murky sound quality added to that impression. To me hearing Mrs. O Leary's Cow confirmed that the Smile music was mad genius and barrier shattering for 66/67 and it really saddened me to know that it was still unreleased in '82 considering the perception of the Beach Boys as lightweight artists at that time.

This is a fascinating story to hear, Jon.

In the pre-internet era, do you recall how you personally went about obtaining this tape back then? I wonder how aware the band was in '82 that this material had leaked out to a handful of the bigger fans, and I wonder if Denny ever got asked about it (from fans who had actually heard the boot recordings) during his lifetime, and also what the timeframe was when Brian became aware that fans had heard this stuff.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:34:49 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 11:38:09 AM »

When I first got ahold of the preiss book I figured that it had to be authorized because he had so many quotes from the guys in the band. But as time went by and I built up a large collection of bb articles from disc, nme, record mirror and elsewhere I realized that all the quotes come from old magazines and he doesn't actually seem to have had much interaction with the bbs or at least none of the quotes were directly given to him
HeroesandVillains
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 12:50:56 PM »

Seriously what the hell is false barnyard?
HeroesandVillains
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 12:53:07 PM »

Seriously though what is false barnyard?
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 03:24:48 PM »

I have the same questiion.   What IS "False Barnyard"Huh?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 05:00:29 PM »

A barnyard that is not real.  Grin
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 07:13:38 PM »

A barnyard that is not real.  Grin

Actually, I think that would be "Fake Barnyard."
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 07:51:31 PM »

I believe it's the harmonica-laden tag to the early 1967 H&V, also used as the tag to My Only Sunshine on The Smile Sessions, with the "haaa haaa hum dum be doo be do" vocals. It was thought by fans (and bootleggers) to be Barnyard at the time, until the actual Barnyard was found/booted.

That's just my understanding, corrections/clarifications welcome.

Watch out for snakes!
peerke
Smiley Smile Associate

Pom-pi-dom-pi-dom

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 02:22:32 AM »

CD 2, track 4 of The Smile Sessions 5 cd box is marked:
"Heroes and Villains: Barnyard (Master Take)"      (10/20/66)    1:12
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: