gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:03:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Happy 50th Birthday, Revolver!  (Read 1750 times)
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2016, 05:58:01 AM »

To answer the question, I'd say it comes in second place behind Pet Sounds.

In my opinion, this album is the pinnacle of the Beatles' recording and songwriting career (contrary to the popular opinion that Sgt. Pepper is at the top), with all members firing on all creative cylinders.

I bought this album when I was 12 (although it was the truncated US version with 3 Lennon songs removed). I'll never forget blasting out those unusual sounds from a Mickey Mouse toy record player.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/05/is-the-beatles-revolver-the-best-rock-record-ever.html
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 06:09:52 AM »

Yes, many happies. A great, great album (in second place to PS).

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 06:38:14 AM »

Revolver, what a great album!!!!!!

I agree with PSNOLA in that I absolutely think it's a better album than Sgt. Pepper. 

The mid 60s - what a great time.  The Beatles and The Beach Boys putting out one great release after another.  And another wave of great bands about to follow.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 07:05:15 AM »

Absolutely, Revolver is by far my favorite Beatles album, and holds up musically much better than Sgt Pepper which now sounds dated.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
KDS
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 07:16:51 AM »

Absolutely, Revolver is by far my favorite Beatles album, and holds up musically much better than Sgt Pepper which now sounds dated.

It's tough for me to pick a #1, but I'm going with Abbey Road. 

I really don't think that Sgt. Pepper sounds dated.  I just think it doesn't deserve to be in the greatest album of all time discussion. 

Especially since, IMO, A Hard Day's Night, Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Magical Mystery Tour (US LP), and Abbey Road are better albums. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 08:15:58 AM »

Especially since, IMO, A Hard Day's Night, Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Magical Mystery Tour (US LP), and Abbey Road are better albums.  

Abbey Road is second favorite (A Hard Day's Night close behind). What keeps it from being #1 is Maxwell's Silver Hammer which I despise.
Do definitely agree with your last sentence.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 08:17:49 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
KDS
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 08:32:37 AM »

Abbey Road is second favorite (A Hard Day's Night close behind). What keeps it from being #1 is Maxwell's Silver Hammer which I despise.
Do definitely agree with your last sentence.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer has grown on me over the years.  Definitely not Paul McCartney's finest moment. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 12:15:29 PM »

I'd prefer to say Pepper hasn't aged as well as Revolver. But parts of it still sound as good to me as they ever did...

In recent years I've come to love Rubber Soul (UK original). Actually, "The Word" has long been my favourite Beatles song. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 10:11:30 PM »

"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" is fun! 3D The backing track is very cool, actually. The worst is "Something".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 10:16:59 PM »

"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" is fun! 3D The backing track is very cool, actually. The worst is "Something".

I think you're an army of one if you think "Something" is the worst song on Abbey Road.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 10:24:26 PM »

Tell me about it - I rmbr being very disappointed when I was Beatles novice. "This is song Frank Sinatra praised?!?" The main riff is terrible, boring melody etc. Nice bass but it's epic fail regardless.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx