gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:36:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love \  (Read 23206 times)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2016, 11:09:32 AM »

I have been to BW concerts and his vocals generally are not good.  I won't go again because I expect better when I go to a concert.  I went to the Beach Boys reunion concert at the Hollywood Bowl and it looked like he did not want to be there.

How many and when?  Asking because 'generally' would be a pretty broad statement to make considering video evidence shows he has had more
'on' nights than 'off'.

When's the last M&B show you went to, and what did you think about Bruce's vocals on 'Wendy'?

I know it's your opinion so I will be charitable, but many will disagree with you, and some much more strongly than others.

Not to mention the 23 times myKe luHv sings in the wrong key at most every show. Roll Eyes

Have to disagree with that...I've never heard Mike sing in more than one key in the past couple of years. Bruce's voice sounds like dust these days. A shame about the two frontmen...the band themselves is made up of talented singers and players.

Meant to say staying on key. Grin

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2016, 04:44:28 PM »

How many and when?  Asking because 'generally' would be a pretty broad statement to make considering video evidence shows he has had more
'on' nights than 'off'.

When's the last M&B show you went to, and what did you think about Bruce's vocals on 'Wendy'?

I know it's your opinion so I will be charitable, but many will disagree with you, and some much more strongly than others.

I went to the show at the Wiltern, one at the Hollywood Bowl and the Roxy.  I've never been to a Mike and Bruce show, but did enjoy the reunion show at the Hollywood Bowl.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2016, 05:07:47 PM »

I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that Brian seems much more confident/less hesitant on stage  post-Foskett.

I can confirm through the most reliable friends who actually know and some of my own observation, that Brian is most certainly happier these days.
I concur with this and I would add that the leaving of JF was welcomed by many.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2016, 05:12:36 PM »

I've never seen Brian bored during a concert. Even that one where some of the anti-Brian people like AutoTune like to point out, when he looked at his watch (the Norway show)...he was actually very animated during the show up until that point.

Brian has nights where he's tired, yes, and they seem to be when he plays two shows in a row, but the man is 74 for crying out loud. To expect him to be running around like a coked up Rod Stewart is ludicrous.

That said, I have to say something...

Personally, I think Brian has declined each time I see him. He was excellent on C50 in 2012. Second time was the Jeff Beck tour in 2013 and he really only seemed into it for the first half of their set and was not focused the remainder. Third time was last year at Montgomery College and again, he started out strong but was very disengaged once Blondie came out, he also seemed less healthy.

Now, these are only THREE examples that I have to offer. I'll have another one this Tuesday, and another one next month!

I know what you meant, but that was very poorly worded. It made it sound like 'Brian's gotten worse each time Ive seen him...and those are only three examples of it....there will be more!', as if the shows on Tuesday and in Sept would further back that statement up. I know that wasn't your intention, but I didn't get that at first, and I almost responded the same way Debbie did, until I re-read it.

Correct if I'm wrong (and please do so if I am)...did you mean those were the only three times you saw him, and the first show was the best?

You are right and wrong, and yes it was somewhat poorly worded. Right because I did mean each show he seemed a little worse and I will steer the conversation away from all this "bored" business: his voice and physicality seemed weakened each time. Not to a point of disappointment for me by any means, but it would be silly to not acknowledge a decline...I don't think anyone buys Brian Wilson tickets expecting Rod Stewart!  LOL  Now, you were only wrong in that I was not implying the next two shows I see will be worse...I am hoping for just the opposite! I articulated those three shows so clearly because those are the only firsthand experiences I have and most posters seem to have way more.

I met Brian on C50 and he was in a great and talkative mood at my meet. On stage that night, he sang, smiled, laughed, and played the whole night through. That changed on the Jeff Beck tour. He seemed overall much more distracted and much less interested in what was happening on stage about half way through the set, the same thing last year. This is purely an analysis of my firsthand observations.

In all fairness...I don't think the Jeff Beck tour went well behind the scenes either and that; Beck is known to be somewhat of an asshole at times and by his own admission is rather 'standoff-ish'. I don't think they got on too well; actually, I can't see how they could.

Absolutely. I'm still very glad I went. "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring" was simply show-stopping, and it was the first time I had heard it live too. Plus other "rarities" like Marcella & Little Bird were incredible live...neither of which I have had the chance to hear since.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2016, 04:29:06 AM »

Doesn't anyone feel that Brian's touring days are winding down?  The current tour was said to be his final European tour.  I know those sort of official statements don't always turn out to be true, but given his reduced participation (fewer leads in the first set, sharing leads with Matt Jardine during the PS set), it seems it's about the right time.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2016, 04:54:17 AM »

Doesn't anyone feel that Brian's touring days are winding down?  The current tour was said to be his final European tour.  I know those sort of official statements don't always turn out to be true, but given his reduced participation (fewer leads in the first set, sharing leads with Matt Jardine during the PS set), it seems it's about the right time.

Well of course they are! Unless he lives to be about 140 or so, he has mathematically reached the final touring years!  LOL

But seriously, I don't know that it is so predictable. I thought that after this year we would see a reduction in global touring, but with more dates rolling out for the fall...who knows!?
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2016, 01:22:15 PM »

I have been to BW concerts and his vocals generally are not good.  I won't go again because I expect better when I go to a concert.  I went to the Beach Boys reunion concert at the Hollywood Bowl and it looked like he did not want to be there.

'on' nights than 'off'.

Not to mention the 23 times myKe luHv sings in the wrong key at most every show. Roll Eyes

Have to disagree with that...I've never heard Mike sing in more than one key in the past couple of years. Bruce's voice sounds like dust these days. A shame about the two frontmen...the band themselves is made up of talented singers and players.

Meant to say staying on key. Grin

Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx