gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:14:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love \  (Read 23233 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2016, 08:07:15 PM »

I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that Brian seems much more confident/less hesitant on stage  post-Foskett.

Personally, I think Brian has declined each time I see him. He was excellent on C50 in 2012. Second time was the Jeff Beck tour in 2013 and he really only seemed into it for the first half of their set and was not focused the remainder. Third time was last year at Montgomery College and again, he started out strong but was very disengaged once Blondie came out, he also seemed less healthy.

Now, these are only THREE examples that I have to offer. I'll have another one this Tuesday, and another one next month!  Grin
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2016, 08:14:43 PM »

Yeah, speaking strictly for confidence...he used to use Foskett as a crutch vocally, and to be honest he would throw Brian off key quite a bit. That said, he does seem to be a bit tired on this tour, but at 74 years old (not to mention, having back issues), can you blame him?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
KDS
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2016, 08:38:37 PM »

I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that Brian seems much more confident/less hesitant on stage  post-Foskett.

Personally, I think Brian has declined each time I see him. He was excellent on C50 in 2012. Second time was the Jeff Beck tour in 2013 and he really only seemed into it for the first half of their set and was not focused the remainder. Third time was last year at Montgomery College and again, he started out strong but was very disengaged once Blondie came out, he also seemed less healthy.

Now, these are only THREE examples that I have to offer. I'll have another one this Tuesday, and another one next month!  Grin

I was at the Montgomery College show too.  I also saw Brian in Philly on the first leg of the NPP Tour, and Brian was much more engaged and spot on vocally in Philly than at Montgomery College.  I've heard he is at his best when not doing shows on consecutive nights.   
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2016, 09:33:24 PM »

When I saw him last year in Austin, he was the best I'd ever heard him. Spot on vocally (except when my wife accidently left the flash on her phone whilst taking a picture, causing him to partially miss a note on Busy Doin' Nothing...sorry Brian!), played keys about 75% through (and was very audible in mix), and seemed to be in great spirits.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2016, 02:38:46 AM »

This is more ridiculous stuff from people who don't get Brian because they think the superficial stuff is more important than the music.

Brian was amazingly engaged when I saw him last July in Denver.  The show was perfect in every way.

Brian was also having fun in the UK when I saw him there last May at several shows.

I saw him in Kansas City in July after an exhausting, difficult phase of the tour.  The weather was killing people, but he performed.  He was excellent in his performance and less smiley-talkie.  So what?  Is that what's important?  The music worked spectacularly.  That's what he's there for.  He's the ultimate producer to this day.  When he gets quiet while listening to Blondie, do you seriously not get that it's the man/producer enjoying and critiquing what's going on?  If Brian didn't like Blondie's contribution, he wouldn't be on this tour, and Blondie is well-aware of that.  He's not stupid, nor is Brian.

Stop trying to make Brian the elderly invalid just because he doesn't "auto-tune" his concerts.   He goes for what's real every night, in every situation. That's the reason he was born an artist and will remain an artist into the future.

What BS.

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2016, 02:43:20 AM »

I can confirm through the most reliable friends who actually know and some of my own observation, that Brian is most certainly happier these days.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2016, 06:37:07 AM »

This is more ridiculous stuff from people who don't get Brian because they think the superficial stuff is more important than the music.

Brian was amazingly engaged when I saw him last July in Denver.  The show was perfect in every way.

Brian was also having fun in the UK when I saw him there last May at several shows.

I saw him in Kansas City in July after an exhausting, difficult phase of the tour.  The weather was killing people, but he performed.  He was excellent in his performance and less smiley-talkie.  So what?  Is that what's important?  The music worked spectacularly.  That's what he's there for.  He's the ultimate producer to this day.  When he gets quiet while listening to Blondie, do you seriously not get that it's the man/producer enjoying and critiquing what's going on?  If Brian didn't like Blondie's contribution, he wouldn't be on this tour, and Blondie is well-aware of that.  He's not stupid, nor is Brian.

Stop trying to make Brian the elderly invalid just because he doesn't "auto-tune" his concerts.   He goes for what's real every night, in every situation. That's the reason he was born an artist and will remain an artist into the future.

What BS.

Well said.

I saw him the following night in St. Charles and it was a moving night of music. Just as Brian presenting Pet Sounds should be.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2016, 07:48:29 AM »

What BS.

If we had a "like" feature here, this post would have a hundred of 'em. Thanks, Deb!  Happy Dance

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2016, 09:31:55 AM »

What BS.

This is why I don't post on these sorts of threads often and kick myself every time I do. It doesn't tae but 12 hours or so before someone tries to turn you into the villain for critiquing a show that you paid your own damn money to see. I JUST said I'm seeing him TWO times on this tour coming up. Why would I continue to spend money if I didn't "GET IT"? There's your BS...  Roll Eyes
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2016, 09:40:20 AM »

I can confirm through the most reliable friends who actually know and some of my own observation, that Brian is most certainly happier these days.

Yup, and it is obvious too.

It fills my heart with joy...if there's anybody in this world who deserves happiness,  it's Brian. 

KDS
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2016, 01:23:28 PM »

What BS.

This is why I don't post on these sorts of threads often and kick myself every time I do. It doesn't tae but 12 hours or so before someone tries to turn you into the villain for critiquing a show that you paid your own damn money to see. I JUST said I'm seeing him TWO times on this tour coming up. Why would I continue to spend money if I didn't "GET IT"? There's your BS...  Roll Eyes

I hear you RS.  Saying Brian had an off night is not saying that he's an invalid.  I'll be at the Baltimore show too, and again in Bethesda next month......and any other time he plays in Baltimore / DC. 
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2016, 03:05:13 PM »

Brian was amazingly engaged when I saw him last July in Denver.  The show was perfect in every way.

I saw him in Kansas City in July after an exhausting, difficult phase of the tour.  The weather was killing people, but he performed.  He was excellent in his performance and less smiley-talkie.  So what?  Is that what's important?  The music worked spectacularly.  That's what he's there for.  He's the ultimate producer to this day.  When he gets quiet while listening to Blondie, do you seriously not get that it's the man/producer enjoying and critiquing what's going on?  If Brian didn't like Blondie's contribution, he wouldn't be on this tour, and Blondie is well-aware of that.  He's not stupid, nor is Brian.

Stop trying to make Brian the elderly invalid just because he doesn't "auto-tune" his concerts.   He goes for what's real every night, in every situation. That's the reason he was born an artist and will remain an artist into the future.

What BS.

Well said.

I saw him the following night in St. Charles and it was a moving night of music. Just as Brian presenting Pet Sounds should be.

Yes.  Apparently, simply buying tickets doesn't mean that a person "gets it."  Oh well, keep buying the tickets and Brian will continue touring as long as he feels like it.  If you like complaining about pretty da*n near anything, as so many fans seem to do, go ahead.  You'll still get to see him as long as you fill the seats and he wants to tour.  Lucky you.

I notice a certain group of posters here is avoiding my "auto-tune" joke and observation.  What a surprise.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 03:10:14 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
KDS
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2016, 06:07:26 PM »

Debbie,

Simply saying Brian is engaged more on some nights than others isn't necessarily complaining. 

So by observing Brian might not have been his best on a particular night means that one "doesn't get it"?

Get a grip. 
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2016, 06:17:09 PM »

Quote from: KDEntertainer k=topic=24270.msg586583#msg586583 date=1471741646
Debbie,

Simply saying Brian is engaged more on some nights than others isn't necessarily complaining. 

So by observing Brian might not have been his best on a particular night means that one "doesn't get it"?

Get a grip. 

1. Yes it can be. "I didn't like the show because Brian looked bored." That's a complaint.

2.  You want an Entertainer With A Capital E? Mike Love will come practically to your backyard. Brian's shows are like Muslims  going to Mecca.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2016, 10:12:51 PM »

Brian Wilson has changed my life. I will love and respect the man till the day I die.

Who are you to say what I do and don't get? Brian is human, like the rest of us. We have good days and bad days. Clearly, you've had a bad one Debbie.

Goodnight...sleep tight...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2016, 10:27:11 PM »

Saying somebody looks bored is called an observation(say it with me, kids).  Saying that somebody is flat for every single song of a two hour show, looked at their watch,  or picked their nose is complaining.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2016, 11:32:09 PM »

I've never seen Brian bored during a concert. Even that one where some of the anti-Brian people like AutoTune like to point out, when he looked at his watch (the Norway show)...he was actually very animated during the show up until that point.

Brian has nights where he's tired, yes, and they seem to be when he plays two shows in a row, but the man is 74 for crying out loud. To expect him to be running around like a coked up Rod Stewart is ludicrous.

That said, I have to say something...

Now, these are only THREE examples that I have to offer. I'll have another one this Tuesday, and another one next month!

I know what you meant, but that was very poorly worded. It made it sound like 'Brian's gotten worse each time Ive seen him...and those are only three examples of it....there will be more!', as if the shows on Tuesday and in Sept would further back that statement up. I know that wasn't your intention, but I didn't get that at first, and I almost responded the same way Debbie did, until I re-read it.

Correct if I'm wrong (and please do so if I am)...did you mean those were the only three times you saw him, and the first show was the best?

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2016, 02:38:27 AM »

Brian Wilson has changed my life. I will love and respect the man till the day I die.

Who are you to say what I do and don't get? Brian is human, like the rest of us. We have good days and bad days. Clearly, you've had a bad one Debbie.

Goodnight...sleep tight...

And who are you to say what kind of day I've had?  Roll Eyes

I'm glad Brian has changed your life, but if you don't get the difference between when he's bored and when he's simply taking in the music and listening to his own band members at various shows, then there's something you don't "get" about him.  Sorry, but it's true.  Many fans don't because they haven't spent any personal time with him, and that's certainly not possible and not a particular criticism of the fan.  I'm simply looking to correct misconceptions about Brian.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2016, 04:47:15 AM »

I've never seen Brian bored during a concert. Even that one where some of the anti-Brian people like AutoTune like to point out, when he looked at his watch (the Norway show)...he was actually very animated during the show up until that point.

Brian has nights where he's tired, yes, and they seem to be when he plays two shows in a row, but the man is 74 for crying out loud. To expect him to be running around like a coked up Rod Stewart is ludicrous.

Now, these are only THREE examples that I have to offer. I'll have another one this Tuesday, and another one next month!

I know what you meant, but that was very poorly worded. It made it sound like 'Brian's gotten worse each time Ive seen him...and those are only three examples of it....there will be more!', as if the shows on Tuesday and in Sept would further back that statement up. I know that wasn't your intention, but I didn't get that at first, and I almost responded the same way Debbie did, until I re-read it.

Correct if I'm wrong (and please do so if I am)...did you mean those were the only three times you saw him, and the first show was the best?

You are right and wrong, and yes it was somewhat poorly worded. Right because I did mean each show he seemed a little worse and I will steer the conversation away from all this "bored" business: his voice and physicality seemed weakened each time. Not to a point of disappointment for me by any means, but it would be silly to not acknowledge a decline...I don't think anyone buys Brian Wilson tickets expecting Rod Stewart!  LOL  Now, you were only wrong in that I was not implying the next two shows I see will be worse...I am hoping for just the opposite! I articulated those three shows so clearly because those are the only firsthand experiences I have and most posters seem to have way more.

I met Brian on C50 and he was in a great and talkative mood at my meet. On stage that night, he sang, smiled, laughed, and played the whole night through. That changed on the Jeff Beck tour. He seemed overall much more distracted and much less interested in what was happening on stage about half way through the set, the same thing last year. This is purely an analysis of my firsthand observations.
John Malone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2016, 09:35:46 AM »

My two cents...

I have attended 14 Brian Wilson concerts, beginning in 2004. Even as a major fan, I would characterize the shows for those first five years or so to be occasions to honor the man, witness him as a survivor, and thank him for the music. For the uninitiated, I could imagine those shows to be unsettling, compared to more orthodox concerts. The music and band has always been top notch, but Brian as a performer could make me nervous. It always seemed like we were rooting for him to get through it in one piece.

C50 was its own animal, and it looked to me like Brian was relieved not being the center of attention. His demeanor seemed to perk up substantially, and he appeared to be genuinely enjoying himself, hence the desire to keep it going beyond the agreed upon dates.

I sat out the Jeff Beck shows entirely (and correctly, it seems).

Then, these last two years, I have noticed a complete change. At the concert at Ravinia in suburban Chicago in 2015, he was more enthusiastic and excited than I had ever seen him on a stage. He was making wisecracks and even coached the band to try a couple of new riffs. (It may have been one of the first attempts at River Deep, Mountain High, but I forget now).  He talked about the songs, making interesting comments, and sometimes putdowns (of Surfs Up?!). That's also when the whimsical rarities like Busy Doin' Nothin began to appear on the setlist.

This summer, I was at the July show in Kansas City. I agree with Debbie, it was brutally hot (heat index over 110), and they had been trouping all over the midwest heat wave. I must admit that I thought that Brian had somewhat of an "off night" and left the show wondering how many more of these tours would be possible. But it easily could have been tied to the circumstances. Heck, I had been on vacation driving through the midwest heat wave,  and I was exhausted, too.

Then, two nights later at the Horseshoe Casino in Tunica, I saw probably the best Brian Wilson concert I had ever attended. He constantly played the piano, was talkative, jovial in his own way, smiling, and genuinely excited. It was a 180 from Kansas City...hence I was reassured.   

My takeaway: There is no doubt that something has changed for the positive. I have no idea whether the exit of Jeff is that variable. It would seem to me that Brian enjoys sharing the load with other real Beach Boys like Al and Blondie. And, having "family" like Billy H. also helps. One way or another, after Tunica, I left reassured that I'll likely be seeing this act for the next few years at least.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2016, 10:08:58 AM »

You are right and wrong, and yes it was somewhat poorly worded. Right because I did mean each show he seemed a little worse and I will steer the conversation away from all this "bored" business: his voice and physicality seemed weakened each time. Not to a point of disappointment for me by any means, but it would be silly to not acknowledge a decline...I don't think anyone buys Brian Wilson tickets expecting Rod Stewart!  LOL  Now, you were only wrong in that I was not implying the next two shows I see will be worse...I am hoping for just the opposite! I articulated those three shows so clearly because those are the only firsthand experiences I have and most posters seem to have way more.

I met Brian on C50 and he was in a great and talkative mood at my meet. On stage that night, he sang, smiled, laughed, and played the whole night through. That changed on the Jeff Beck tour. He seemed overall much more distracted and much less interested in what was happening on stage about half way through the set, the same thing last year. This is purely an analysis of my firsthand observations.

In all fairness...I don't think the Jeff Beck tour went well behind the scenes either and that; Beck is known to be somewhat of an asshole at times and by his own admission is rather 'standoff-ish'. I don't think they got on too well; actually, I can't see how they could.

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2016, 10:14:58 AM »

I have been to BW concerts and his vocals generally are not good.  I won't go again because I expect better when I go to a concert.  I went to the Beach Boys reunion concert at the Hollywood Bowl and it looked like he did not want to be there.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2016, 10:27:04 AM »

I have been to BW concerts and his vocals generally are not good.  I won't go again because I expect better when I go to a concert.  I went to the Beach Boys reunion concert at the Hollywood Bowl and it looked like he did not want to be there.

How many and when?  Asking because 'generally' would be a pretty broad statement to make considering video evidence shows he has had more
'on' nights than 'off'.

When's the last M&B show you went to, and what did you think about Bruce's vocals on 'Wendy'?

I know it's your opinion so I will be charitable, but many will disagree with you, and some much more strongly than others.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2016, 10:44:33 AM »

How many and when?  Asking because 'generally' would be a pretty broad statement to make considering video evidence shows he has had more
'on' nights than 'off'.

When's the last M&B show you went to, and what did you think about Bruce's vocals on 'Wendy'?

I know it's your opinion so I will be charitable, but many will disagree with you, and some much more strongly than others.

Not to mention the 23 times myKe luHv sings in the wrong key at most every show. Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2016, 11:00:11 AM »

'on' nights than 'off'.

Not to mention the 23 times myKe luHv sings in the wrong key at most every show. Roll Eyes

Have to disagree with that...I've never heard Mike sing in more than one key in the past couple of years. Bruce's voice sounds like dust these days. A shame about the two frontmen...the band themselves is made up of talented singers and players.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx