gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680822 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:37:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love \  (Read 23237 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2016, 02:17:39 PM »

Yeah, there's video evidence, but...I personally consider weed a medicine that can be used recreationally as opposed to a recreational drug.

Certainly, in the whole "drugs" discussion pertaining to drugs, nobody is talking about pot. Even Mike says in the very interview in question:

“I’m hoping they get the fact that the reason I’m still doing what I’m doing at the level we’re doing it, meaning a volume of work and stuff like that, is probably because I chose a path that wasn’t a path of all the nefarious drugs that my cousins did — I mean, serious, serious stuff. I chose not to,” Love said, referring to his Beach Boys band mates, brothers Brian, Carl and Dennis Wilson. “I will say that during the ‘60s, I did my share of weed."

So even Mike's not talking about weed.

Interestingly, Mike also points out:

"But once I learned to meditate, I gave up hard liquor...."

And I would argue that drinking beer and wine and all of that could potentially be as problematic as "hard liquor", but that's just a separate sort of semantics thing.

I think the whole thing stinks. Mike seems to have some sort of weird complex about so many things. Look at this interview. What would a *normal* person say if asked about how they manage to be so active at an advanced age? A normal person would say "I've lived a healthy lifestyle." Mike's not healthy because he *didn't* do drugs. He's healthy because of what he has done. But no, it immediately has to come back to *not* doing something *bad* that his cousins did.

He has to drag someone else down to pump himself up. It's just sad.

It's not like Brian gives interviews about how he was able to write a good song because "I chose the path over the years of not being a douche like my cousin."  

LOL

It almost furthers my theory (about Mike choosing TM, or at least by bringing it up so much, in part as a way to have moral superiority to hold over his cousins)... it makes it seem like he tours so much at this point out of being specifically motivated *just* to prove a point that he has more stamina as a result of his clean living relative to his cousins.  To gain respect while simultaneously getting people to kick the Wilsons down a notch where they "belong".

It's like... here is SOMETHING that Mike realizes he can finally without a doubt, unarguably, be BETTER than the Wilsons at... so now lets do it and bring it up, pointing out the disparity, comparing and contrasting... ad naseum. I cannot believe at this point that he is motivated *just* by trying to make sure the public doesn't do drugs. Truly... does anyone think that's the ONLY reason he says it? That can't be the *sole* motivating factor here, at this point in the story. No way. It's a tragic self-esteem issue (which I can still empathize with large portions of how it happened) that has manifested in really ugly actions.  It honestly just makes me feel sad for Mike. As mad as it also makes me, I mainly just feel sad for him.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:27:55 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2016, 02:47:44 PM »

It's not like Brian gives interviews about how he was able to write a good song because "I chose the path over the years of not being a douche like my cousin."

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2016, 02:50:52 PM »

CD, it's proving a point of being a TM touring superman compared to two dead wilsons and "invalid" BW.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:26:27 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2016, 06:23:06 PM »

To gain respect while simultaneously getting people to kick the Wilsons down a notch where they "belong".

That popped a thought across my mind that I'd never had before. The Wilsons were kind of the "working class" cousins to Mike Love's more solidly middle class upbringing, right? And Mike talks about the success of his dad and the work ethic, etc. But their business went under right before the rise of the BBs, yes?
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2016, 07:05:34 PM »

Wouldn't Jeff Foskett have the info on what really goes on in Brian's life, to pass onto Mike Love.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2016, 07:11:38 PM »

In regard to the Al vs Mike comparison.  I think one of the reasons Brian and Al are where they are is because sometimes it's just easier with a friend. There's less emotional baggage. Less pressure. There is an old saying, you can choose your friends, you can't choose your family. Al obviously has an easier going temperament which plays a role too.

The Mike hard liquor line made me laugh. That was some hard liquor he was drinking at the RR HOF speech though. Shocked
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2016, 08:20:43 PM »

In regard to the Al vs Mike comparison.  I think one of the reasons Brian and Al are where they are is because sometimes it's just easier with a friend. There's less emotional baggage. Less pressure. There is an old saying, you can choose your friends, you can't choose your family. Al obviously has an easier going temperament which plays a role too.

Can anyone even imagine Mike getting away with what he says regularly about Brian if he were not a blood relative?  If Mike were not related to Brian, Mike would still be trying to find a way to write songs with Brian, but Brian would have kicked Mike to the curb in a FAR bigger way many moons ago. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 08:57:21 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2016, 09:03:39 PM »

Wouldn't Jeff Foskett have the info on what really goes on in Brian's life, to pass onto Mike Love.
He may have his own axe to grind, though.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2016, 09:26:52 PM »

Yeah it sounds like he needs some lexopro or something. It's a strange combination of TM and anger for Mike that isn't working.

From the way the Rolling Stone article came off, if it wasn't for TM, Mike would be 100% "MIKE SMASSSSSSHHHHHH PUNY WILSONS!!!!"

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2016, 12:19:27 AM »

I truly think this is one of the most overlooked points in the Beach Boys history over the last 24 mos.   Wasn't there some comments about Foskett basically being BW's caretaker on the road....ie...living in the same suite on the road each evening for the better part of 10 years Huh   None of us know what this "totally" entailed on a daily basis for Jeff.   Jeff decides to move on as BW wasn't touring enough in 2014 to pay the bills......and he makes the call to Mike (or was it the other way around Huh)   and he ends up in Mike's band. 

We can go through a multitude of different scenarios...but in the end,
Mike is quoted as saying he made contact with Jeff...and after a meeting...decided to add Jeff to the ML band.

So to answer Urbanites question from above....my gut thinks Jeff has "some" info on Brian that he has shared....or he's using this "perceived" information to make himself look better to Mike....thus perpetuating the ML incessant interviews about "handlers and medication"

I dunno folks....but it seems to me we've given Jeff a pass on this move between the two bands ...and perceptually how he views the relationship between Bw/ML and how Ray Lawlor perceives the relationship.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2016, 12:38:56 AM »

I'm not a  touring professional musician. (I'm none of those things. I'm not professional. I'm not touring. And I'm not a musician.  police )
 But, isn't it just basically living like a drifter for several weeks
? Looking for food ??
 The "realest" thing of the whole itinerary would be the shows,amirite?

I would hope Jeff doesn't know him that well. That would mean Jeff derived his anti-Love You opinions from a genuine telepathic connection . This disturbs me
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 12:42:59 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2016, 06:57:46 AM »

Another ego article from the master.... Grin For a guy who wants to "Put the record straight", interviews of late seem to be serving up more bs than normal.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/08/18/love-beach-boys-celebrate-good-vibrations/88866506/

However surely he jests with this statement. Another reference to a solo album lost in translation....

Love said that besides touring and the book, he has been “stockpiling songs over the years.” The Beach Boys’ last album, “That’s Why God Made the Radio,” coincided with the band's 50th anniversary and featured all of its surviving members, including Love, Brian Wilson, Jardine, Johnston and guitarist David Marks, who first performed with The Beach Boys on the song “Little Deuce Coup” in 1963.

Love said he hopes The Beach Boys will release new material, written primarily by himself and in collaboration with other musicians, later this year or in early 2017.

Oh....sorry we made you suffer in 2012 as well. Razz

'And although Brian Wilson and Jardine, as well as other surviving members of the group, joined The Beach Boys’ 50th anniversary tour, Love said the arrangement was “sometimes problematic” and “primarily done for the fans.”'
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 07:04:25 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2016, 07:38:58 AM »

'And although Brian Wilson and Jardine, as well as other surviving members of the group, joined The Beach Boys’ 50th anniversary tour, Love said the arrangement was “sometimes problematic” and “primarily done for the fans.”'
Isn't that the point of the BBs? LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2016, 08:32:58 AM »

myKe luHv (#notthebeachboys) proving once again that his mission in life is to clearly portray himself as the equivalent of Brian Wilson in songwriting, singing, you name it. What a sad little
toad of a man who will never release any of his stockpiled songs because his ego could not withstand the dismal reviews and sales (if any at all) of said product.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2016, 01:20:45 PM »

Prepare yourself for Summer in Paradise, part two.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2016, 01:47:22 PM »

D'ya think? I would take any gossip from Mr. Foskett with a grain of salt, but that's just me.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2016, 01:51:45 PM »

Just as Brian is portrayed as "blameless" then Mike should be too.  He too suffers from the tainted Wilson blood. Smokin
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2016, 02:46:31 PM »

D'ya think? I would take any gossip from Mr. Foskett with a grain of salt, but that's just me.

Not just you...

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2016, 03:36:25 PM »

One can only hope that the other Beach Boys will be further inspired to write their side of the story for all to read. The sad truth, is that none of the living members are going to give a level-headed description of the past 55 years...with the one exception being David Marks, but with so much disconnect for so many years...well, we all know the scoop there. As far as the demise of C50, I'd think some of the backing band members could provide insight without bias...but certainly not all of them, and I'd think Foskett would be the hands-down most biased of all. Jeff has never sat right with me. The first time I saw him was at the C50 show I attended where he snapped at Totten constantly during soundcheck and hovered over Brian during the meet-and-greet, except for the photos.

Skewing the topic a bit...but does anyone ever wonder what the straw will be to break the camel's back that is "THE BEACH BOYS"?...or will it never end? We're quite lucky to have so much of the band intact...even if they aren't all intact with one another...
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2016, 05:30:44 PM »

One can only hope that the other Beach Boys will be further inspired to write their side of the story for all to read. The sad truth, is that none of the living members are going to give a level-headed description of the past 55 years...with the one exception being David Marks, but with so much disconnect for so many years...well, we all know the scoop there. As far as the demise of C50, I'd think some of the backing band members could provide insight without bias...but certainly not all of them, and I'd think Foskett would be the hands-down most biased of all. Jeff has never sat right with me. The first time I saw him was at the C50 show I attended where he snapped at Totten constantly during soundcheck and hovered over Brian during the meet-and-greet, except for the photos.

Skewing the topic a bit...but does anyone ever wonder what the straw will be to break the camel's back that is "THE BEACH BOYS"?...or will it never end? We're quite lucky to have so much of the band intact...even if they aren't all intact with one another...

Well, I think you can view it one of two ways, the straw that broke the camel's back happened at the end of C50 in one context.  In another context, the Beach Boys will never die because that music is timeless, and Brian is proud of what he created and Al likes his contribution, so they don't reject the name.  And Mike like's selling the brand, so Brian and Al can't use it.  I guess it depends on what you think the definition of the BBs happens to be.  As a touring band? After Brian's successes this year under his own name, why would he want to tour with a band that Mike Love insists has to be totally in his charge?  As a band that made history, it's already there with 2 key members no longer with us, but the music lives.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2016, 05:33:01 PM »

The first time I saw him was at the C50 show I attended where he snapped at Totten constantly during soundcheck and hovered over Brian during the meet-and-greet, except for the photos.

Was this the Woodlands show?

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2016, 06:40:48 PM »

The first time I saw him was at the C50 show I attended where he snapped at Totten constantly during soundcheck and hovered over Brian during the meet-and-greet, except for the photos.

Was this the Woodlands show?

No...merriweather. Was there a similar incident at the Woodlands gig?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2016, 06:55:29 PM »

I noticed something myself, yes, although the one who was a real **** was Bruce (but that was after the show)

I have to censor myself as I'm using a work computer

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2016, 07:16:16 PM »

I noticed something myself, yes, although the one who was a real **** was Bruce (but that was after the show)

I have to censor myself as I'm using a work computer

Bruce is a wildcard. I've had multiple interactions with him and they've all been stellar, but have read about very sour instances on here and elsewhere.

But getting back to Jeff, he comes off as incredibly cocky every time I've seen him. Ranging from his attitude at soundcheck, to faking a fan out in the front row with a guitar pick in Lancaster (who the hell wants his pick anyway?)...and he's taken almost all of the non-Mike lead vocals at their show now. He just always has a very pompous aura about him...and not like Mike does when he's on stage. I've seen Mike off stage several times and he's never had that front-man snarly bombastic demeanor. He usually seems like someone that's just been woken up from a coma off stage really...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2016, 07:53:46 PM »

I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that Brian seems much more confident/less hesitant on stage  post-Foskett.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx