gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:38:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coordination of BW and ML tour dates ??  (Read 886 times)
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2016, 01:06:35 PM »

So I been wondering over the past 5 to 10 years, how much coordination behind the scenes is there either between the tour managers of the 2 groups or might BRI be somehow involved coordinating the BW/ML tour schedules ?   ML has continued to tour his yearly 100+ schedule, especially since he upgraded his band with Scott coming on board.  BW has definitely increased his activity since 2011, in particular, the number of tours and frequency of dates on each tour. I'm a neophyte when it comes to managing a tour, tour promoters, and scheduling. etc.

So... BW is in Seattle on 10/8 playing the Paramount Theatre.  I bought tickets the first day they were offered to the public (4th row).  Now I see ML is in Seattle 34 days later on 11/12 at the SAME venue.  This seems really odd to me.  The bands also play Portland, Oregon concerts, though at different venues, nights prior and after the Seattle shows.

Always seemed to me the guys were always in different parts of the country where overkill/brand delusion wasn't a factor.   Just coincidence or is there more to the ML band being scheduled 34 days apart in the same cities/venues that meets the eye ?   Just wondering peoples thoughts as many of you are close to the bands and maybe have been involved as promoters in the past.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 01:35:10 PM »

I think Mike has mentioned they have deals with venues to play on a regular basis. Hypothetically Seattle could be one of those, say every 2-3 years. Brian may be the 'Johnny Come Lately' here. LOL
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 02:06:09 PM »

BRI doesn't run either Mike's or Brian's tour. Brian's tour is run through his own company (is it still called "BriMel"?), while Mike has his own production company ("Meleco" I believe) running his tour.

The only way BRI appears to be involved is that "Meleco" pays BRI a licensing fee to use the BB name.

For that matter, even the 2012 reunion tour wasn't run by BRI; it was run by a production company formed specifically for the tour.

I would imagine the last time Brother Records, or some form of it ("Brother Tours", etc.) ran a Beach Boys tour was some time in the 90s.

I don't think there's any oversight from BRI in this regard, although it's impossible to know. BRI doesn't seem to "manage" anything anymore and essentially just functions as a holding company for the BB trademark and group business dealings.

The only thing I've ever seen that suggests a pattern in Brian's touring is that, on years when he's touring in July, he seems to *always* play gigs *outside* of the USA on July 4th. If he's in North America, he seems to strangely always have a Canadian date on the 4th of July. Otherwise, he's in Europe or something. This is the only time I've wondered if there is some agreement between he and Mike (or rather, between the two production companies) that Brian will not compete with any "Beach Boys" bookings in the US on July 4th.

But the two touring camps have come close to crossing paths in the same touring market before (much closer than 34 days apart if I recall correctly), and I don't think there's any coordination. I *do* think Al's allusions in the last couple years of he and Brian being "warned" not to use the "Beach Boys" name too prominently in advertising their shows suggests Mike, or Meleco, *does* want to make sure there is as little competition as possible in terms of use of the actual "Beach Boys" name. Obviously, there's a limit to this, as Brian and Al are allowed to say they're Beach Boys, founding members, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx