gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:09:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This day in BB History Aug 13-16  (Read 2463 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2016, 05:17:38 PM »

On Aug 13 1963 the BBs played at Gilchrist’s Fashion Hop at the Music Hall in Boston, MA with Jan and Dean, Tony and the Del Fi’s, Myles Connor and the Ravens and Mary Ann Mobley.  It was their first New England show. The next day they played at Palace Park Ballroom in Old Orchard ME and on August 15 they appeared in Hill NH. On Aug 1963 they played at Mountain Park in Holyoke, MA.

On August 13 1966 the BBs played the Arena Auditorium in Duluth, MN.  They then headed to Canada to appear at Fort William Gardens in Ontario with Bobby Kris & the Imperials. On August 15 they played the Municipal Auditorium in Minot, ND with the Embermen Five and on August 16 they were at the Stampede Corral in Calgary with Chad and Jeremy and the Sunrays.  Not sure if Murray accompanied his new protégés.

On August 13, 1968 the BBs appeared on the NBC TV Tonight Show with Johnny Carson in New York.  The video of this appears to have been lost.  On August 15 they played two shows at the Bay Theater in Green Bay, WI with the Box Tops and Pickle Brothers along with a local band called Mother’s Smack. Desper taped this show.  The next night they were at Butler University in Indianapolis, IN.

On August 15, 1969 the BBs were at Sunset Sound working on the single version of Cotton Fields, as Al wasn’t happy with the Brian produced version from 20/20.

On August 13 1970 Dennis began work on the movie Two Lane Blacktop with Monte Hellman. The BBs kept recording without him and on August 14 they worked on Looking At Tomorrow.  The next day they worked on “Til I Die” and “Big Sur” (the exquisite unreleased Version). August 14 1972 the BBs worked on California Saga in Holland.  It was their last night there and they flew to Chicago the next day, so they could appear at Southern Illinois University on August 16.

On August 14, 15 and 16 1973 the BBs were at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago. The show on the 14th was recorded for the concert album.  On August 13, 1974 the increasingly reclusive Brian went to KRTH FM and was interviewed by General Manager Jim Pewter. They played many old BB songs and Brian commented on them.  He walked out briefly when Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villains were played-saying he didn’t want to hear them.

August 13 1976 the BBs played the Coliseum in Hampton, VA with the Cate Brothers and Bill Joel. The next day they played at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh with Peter Frampton and Gary Wright.  On August 15 1976 they performed in St John Arena at Ohio State University in Columbus. Around this time Brian taped one of his best interviews for the UK TV show Old Grey Whistle Test.  I don’t know the exact date he taped this but he mentions in the interview that he’ll be playing upcoming shows in Maryland, which places it before August 30.  Large chunks of this interview (both video and audio) were used in the 1985 American Band film.

On Aug 13 1978 the BBs, without Brian, concluded a three-day residency at Pine Knob in Clarkston, Michigan.  On August 14 they played at the Illinois State Fair in Springfield.  On August 14 1981 the BBs appeared at Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha with Little River Band and the Rockets.  Neither Dennis nor Carl was present. On August 15 the BBs played the Illinois State Fair in Springfield, followed by the Wisconsin State Fair in West Allis on August 16.  Carl was not touring with the BBs at this time but was preparing to head out on the road to open for the Doobie Brothers on the second leg of their tour. 

Carl was back with the BBs in 1982 for their annual appearances at the Illinois State Fair (Aug 13) Wisconsin State Fair (Aug 14) and Kentucky State Fair (Aug 15). The following year the BBs, without Dennis or Brian, appeared at Chicago Fest at Soldier Field with The Association, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Tito Puente on August 13, 1983 and at Hermitage Landing in Nashville, TN and Giants Stadium at the Meadowlands on August 14 1983. They then played the Ohio State Fair on August 15 and 16.  This was the infamous appearance where the security guard at the gate didn’t recognize them and they had to pay money to get into the venue.

On August 13 1985 the BBs played at the Swiss Villa Amphitheater in Lampe, MO, then headed to the Illinois State Fair on August 14 and the Iowa State Fair on Augsut 15.  On August 14 and 15 1986 they were at Jones Beach in NY and on August 16 1986 they played shows at JFK Stadium in Bridgeport, CT and the Civic Center, in Springfield, MA with John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band. 

On August 13 1987 they played the California Mid-State Fair in Paso Robles, CA.  On August 14 they appeared at the Pacific Amphitheater in LA. Then they played at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds, Santa Rosa, CA on August 15 and at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, CA on August 16 1987.

1988 was a busy year, with multiple shows played on many days.  For example they played both the Jackson County Fair in Jackson, MI and the Illinois State Fair on August 13 and the Wisconsin State Fair and Old Glory Amphitheater at Six Flags Over Mid-America in Eureka, MO on August 14.  They played the Castle Farms Music Theatre in Charlevoix, MI on August 15 1988.  1989 saw a reunion tour with Chicago.  Beachago hit the Garden State Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ on August 14 and 15 1989.

In 1990 the BBs played the Illinois State Fair for the umpteenth time on August 14 and Poplar Creek on August 15.  On August 16, 1990 they appeared in the Glass Bowl at the University of Toledo with Dailey and the Marshall Tucker Band.  In 1991 they toured with the Everly Brothers.  This tour was at the Illinois State Fair on August 14, the Starwood Amphitheater in Nashville on August 15 and the Riverport Amphitheater in St Louis on August 16.

In 1992 the BBs were on the road with David Cassidy and they played Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha, NE on August 13 and Sioux Empire Fair in Sioux Falls, SD on August 15.That same day there was a Wilson/Paley Session for the song “I’m Broke.”  On Aug 16 1992 the BBs played the Wisconsin State Fair with Poco and Deer Creek in Noblesville, Indiana with David Cassidy.

In 1993 the BBs played the Illinois State Fair with America on August 13 and Little Rock, AR and the Stoneridge Amphitheatre in Camdenton, MO on August 14. On August 15 1993 they played the Mud Island Amphitheater in Memphis, TN and at the Riverport Amphitheatre in St Louis, Mo with K.C. and the Sunshine Band.  They played a second night in St. Louis on August 16.  On August 13 1994 the BBs were at Pine Knob in Clarkston, MI with America and then headed to the Kingswood Theater in Toronto on August 14.

On Aug 16, 1995 Brian performed at SOB club in NYC with his daughters after a showing of the Don Was documentary IJWMFTT.  In 1996 the BBs were promoting Stars and Stripes by touring with country singer James House.  They played the Starlight Amphitheater, Kansas City, MO on August 13 and the Westfair Amphitheater, in Council Bluffs, IA on August 14.  They hit the Riverport Amphitheater in St Louis, MO on August 15 and Pine Knob on August 16 1996.  I won’t detail the numerous shows since Carl’s death but we list them all at Bellagio.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 09:15:38 AM »

On Aug 13 1963 the BBs played at Gilchrist’s Fashion Hop at the Music Hall in Boston, MA with Jan and Dean, Tony and the Del Fi’s, Myles Connor and the Ravens and Mary Ann Mobley. 

Oh man, I would love to hear one of those shows where the Boys backed up Jan & Dean. Do we know if they also sang background vocals? This show happened after "Surf city" was released and from then on Jan used more backing voices than the two of them could recreate on stage.

In 1993 the BBs played the Illinois State Fair with America on August 13 and Little Rock, AR and the Stoneridge Amphitheatre in Camdenton, MO on August 14. On August 15 1993 they played the Mud Island Amphitheater in Memphis, TN

Do you know if they dedicated a song to Elvis (or sang one of his) on Aug. 15th, since it was just one day before the 16th anniversary of his death?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 09:19:07 AM »

Not sure about that show but on an earlier visit to Memphis around 1982 they all visited Graceland in between shows
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 09:34:39 AM »

Not sure about that show but on an earlier visit to Memphis around 1982 they all visited Graceland in between shows

Yeah, I heard about that. Mike Eder told me that Dennis broke down at Elvis' grave and was crying. I think he'd read that in the Denny Remembered book.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 04:12:21 AM »

Well if you are interested in that-here is what Carl had to say on August 16 1977 when he heard the news "His music was the only thing exclusively ours. His wasn't my mom and dad's music.  His voice was a total miracle, a true miracle in the music business. It had an influence on the entire group."
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 05:49:46 AM »

Well if you are interested in that-here is what Carl had to say on August 16 1977 when he heard the news "His music was the only thing exclusively ours. His wasn't my mom and dad's music.  His voice was a total miracle, a true miracle in the music business. It had an influence on the entire group."

Yes, thanks! Somewhere I have a scan of that newspaper article where Carl was quoted. There are quite a lot of close connections between Elvis and the Beach Boys (even when he was alive) so I wonder why there are no pictures of him and at least one member.

- Jack Rieley
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 01:15:08 PM »

I took my nearly-6 year old son Casey to the Sonoma County Fair concert in Santa Rosa, CA, August 15, 1987. They were a little late getting to the outdoor venue due to a late arrival at Charles Schulz Airport just out of town, and went past the 10:00 p.m. curfew time, which is why, as it turns out, the last few songs were a little rushed. We didn't know it at time but there were several complaints from residents about the loud music, and local law enforcement was actually called in a few minutes after curfew to break things up! It made a story in the Santa Rosa newspaper, and I wrote a (published) letter-to-the-editor wondering if anyone complaining about hearing a free Beach Boys concert would also complain about Christmas coming a day early and then finding a new Mercedes under the tree. "Of course it was loud! What did you expect?" BTW, Casey slept through the concert, less than forty feet from the stage. That was the next-to-the last time I saw them (Candlestick Park in SF in either 1988 or 89) until the C50 in Las Vegas.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 02:22:39 PM »

Regarding Elvis, I recall that some old setlists (or, at least one) from 1977 featured "Love Me Tender" as a tribute to Elvis. Not sure how verified of a setlist it is, or who may have taken the lead vocal.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 11:34:37 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 09:26:12 AM »

I have never come across a review of a show that mentioned them doing Love Me Tender but if someone finds a tape of it than I'm willing to believe it
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 11:05:04 AM »

I also never heard about that, but that doesn't mean very much as I'm not an expert I guess. But why would they do "Love me tender" as a tribute to Dennis? Especially since Dennis was still very much alive and part of the shows.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 11:35:03 AM »

I also never heard about that, but that doesn't mean very much as I'm not an expert I guess. But why would they do "Love me tender" as a tribute to Dennis? Especially since Dennis was still very much alive and part of the shows.

Apologies, I simply mis-typed and meant to say as a tribute to Elvis.  3D

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 11:45:31 AM »

I have never come across a review of a show that mentioned them doing Love Me Tender but if someone finds a tape of it than I'm willing to believe it

Much like my recollection of an early 1982 Wilson-less BB show, the "Love Me Tender" story was another that I figured I must have gotten from Eric's setlist archive but actually isn't mentioned there.

I have a "Love Me Tender" performance taking place soon after Elvis's death in 1977 in my notes from a good 15 or more years ago (from a long abandoned potential BB research project), so I must have come across the tidbit in the early days of the internet.

It may well have been one of several titles Brad Elliott mentioned off-handedly during "obscure setlist selection" discussions years ago, probably in the late 90s. (Another example of a song title I remember Elliott throwing around was a 1984 performance of "Bony Maronie", which I don't think is on any online setlist archives either).

They did a good run of shows starting three days after his death, so it's at least plausible in that respect. But definitely somewhat of a question mark at best given lack of any other evidence at hand.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 11:49:17 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 12:10:27 PM »

Apologies, I simply mis-typed and meant to say as a tribute to Elvis.  3D

Oh, that makes sense  Grin

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx