gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:32:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Beach Boys songwriter  (Read 3596 times)
grapejuicesnake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2016, 08:28:37 PM »

I am interested to see who people think was the best person who wrote songs with the Beach Boys but was NOT a member.  Examples include: Gary Usher, Roger Christian, Tony Asher,  Jack Rieley, ect.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 09:10:15 PM »

I love Stevie Kalinich's lyrics and energy he brought to the songs.

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 09:23:33 PM »

I gotta go with Tony Asher...

I was going to say Van Dyke Parks, but then I thought of "God Only Knows" and realized I had to go with Tony.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 01:33:55 AM »

I gotta go with Tony Asher...

I was going to say Van Dyke Parks, but then I thought of "God Only Knows" and realized I had to go with Tony.

Then I'll give Van Dyke my vote. I'd say all the principal non-BB collaborators made important contributions in their day...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 03:38:26 AM »

Tony - Gold
Van Dyke - Silver
Jack - Bronze.

But then...these medals are for lyrics. 

The best actual SONG writer?  BDW. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 06:15:22 AM »

Well if you take into consideration their work outside of the Beach Boys as well, I think Van Dyke Parks is hands down the best outside songwriter the Beach Boys worked with.

Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 02:24:05 PM »

Tony Asher. Van Dyke Parks wrote colorful lyrics, but Tony Asher wrote lyrics that I could identify with.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 06:42:03 PM »

It is apples and oranges, isn't it?  VDP did amazing poetry that still delights and confounds us - perfect.  Tony Asher's lyrics touched everyone- perfect for that very personal album.  Let's give it to Mike for "Warmth of the Sun" - he got Brian and that terrible moment in time back then.  Finally, Brian wrote "'Til I Die."  It doesn't get any better than that.  So glad he was in the mood.  It all worked (I know, they were BBs). Jack Reilly, with all the weird baggage, wrote some terrific lyrics.  Lucky us.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 07:17:40 PM »

Gary Usher is underrated as a lyrical and musical collaborator with Brian - The Lonely Sea and especially In My Room stand out as two of Brian's best early songs, IMR is iconic.  And as much as I dislike Joe Thomas's production, he wrote lyrics for Brian's greatest songs of the last ten years, From There to Back Again, Pacific Coast Highway and Summers Gone.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 09:05:38 PM »

Asher , parks, and Thomas.   As it turns out to date.   but the others mentioned thus far in the thread are not far behind.   Each contributed in his own way in a given era.  BDW was the spark, however,   All along the way.   
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 10:52:19 PM »

Christian's hugely underrated.  The lyrics to "Shut Down" are unbelievably good.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 11:06:52 PM »

The lyrics to "Shut Down" are unbelievably good.
Same with "Little Deuce Coupe"
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 11:43:32 PM »

I also thought Roger's lyrics were very clever and wonderfully rhythmic to the music.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 12:33:45 AM »

I would go with Roger Christian.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 11:02:19 AM »

I almost tied Roger for 3rd with Jack.  But?  Too few samples...and it was, after all, ever-so-long ago.  But yes his understanding of EXACTLY how to turn cars, their engines...and all the reemistrams and cadidles...into poetry was pretty danged impressive.

HE gave the BOYS more cred with the car buffs that they had with the surfing crowd...way back at the starting line.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 05:48:25 PM »

It is apples and oranges, isn't it?  VDP did amazing poetry that still delights and confounds us - perfect.  Tony Asher's lyrics touched everyone- perfect for that very personal album.  Let's give it to Mike for "Warmth of the Sun" - he got Brian and that terrible moment in time back then.  Finally, Brian wrote "'Til I Die."  It doesn't get any better than that.  So glad he was in the mood.  It all worked (I know, they were BBs). Jack Reilly, with all the weird baggage, wrote some terrific lyrics.  Lucky us.

Going with Deb on this. Everyone of them rose to the occasion in collaborating with Brian. Yes, even myKe luHv.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2016, 06:10:38 PM »

It is apples and oranges, isn't it?  VDP did amazing poetry that still delights and confounds us - perfect.  Tony Asher's lyrics touched everyone- perfect for that very personal album.  Let's give it to Mike for "Warmth of the Sun" - he got Brian and that terrible moment in time back then.  Finally, Brian wrote "'Til I Die."  It doesn't get any better than that.  So glad he was in the mood.  It all worked (I know, they were BBs). Jack Reilly, with all the weird baggage, wrote some terrific lyrics.  Lucky us.

Going with Deb on this. Everyone of them rose to the occasion in collaborating with Brian. Yes, even myKe luHv.

Props to OSD for conceding that Mike had his very solid moments; regardless of anyone's opinions on him personally - which I totally understand, the frustratingly eye-rolling moments are seemingly endless - the fact that Mike added some very fine lyrics at times is not particularly debatable! Smiley
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 07:45:41 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 12:27:15 PM »

Murry has to be the best songwriter, after all he was the genius that wanted to have "Do be do be doos" on "Help Me Rhonda'"  LOL
Bill Ed
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 12:28:04 AM »

Randy Bachman?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx