gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 02:08:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sophie’s Choice  (Read 885 times)
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2016, 11:43:22 AM »

For the good of the Beach Boys  band, if you could either bring Carl back or bring Dennis back, who would you choose and why? Assume that each is in the same condition as just before they passed. Carl no longer has cancer and has an amazing voice and solid leadership skills. Dennis is no longer self-destructive and is writing and arranging some terrific material.
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 11:53:57 AM »

It's no Sophie's Choice the way I see it: to me, the answer is clear. Assuming he was indeed "no longer self-destructive," my vote would be for Dennis. No slight on Carl, but I need more Dennis music in my life and I want to hear how it would have evolved over time.

Carl pretty well had the chance to do what he was going to do artistically. Dennis had further to go. As for "the good of the Beach Boys band," well, I don't know where Dennis would fit in that organization, but I'd love to see him doing joint tours with Brian. If Carl were still alive I don't see that the Beach Boys band would be very different today than it is, or was 30 years ago. After Endless Summer, Brian has always been the key factor in what kind of enterprise the BBs proper are.

On the other hand, you could argue that Brian, and to a lesser degree Mike and Al, clearly miss Carl a lot more than they miss Dennis...and that Carl still being around would change their dynamic for the better...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 12:33:47 PM by maggie » Logged
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 05:14:25 PM »

Tough choice.  Imagine Brian and Carl touring Smile together in 2004(you know that's how it would have happened!).  On the other hand, Dennis had a dynamism that would have been fascinating to see age creatively.  I barely give Carl the edge right now, but that will probably change from day to day.  Smiley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx