gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:48:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Michaels's Bald Head  (Read 15620 times)
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2016, 08:06:00 AM »

I don't know how much space will be taken up in Mike's memoir concerning his baldness, so I thought this may be a good place to discuss, or perhaps more specifically, reflect on the question, did Mike's baldness impact the Beach Boys in any way?

Mike stated balding at a fairly young age, and this can be a traumatic experience for anyone. I would imagine going bald before a national, or international audience would only add to the impact. Mike's personality from the outset was a combination of cocky and corny, and I wonder if there was a bit of a defence mechanism here to cover up some self consciousness about going bald.

On one hand, here he is, front man for one of the worlds biggest rock and roll bands. The lead singer, the guy out front, the emcee. But over his shoulder banging on the drums, is a legitimate sex symbol. To his right, the real leader of the band, a talented musician who is changing the very climate of modern music. This alone could give a guy a bit of a complex, even when one's own voice, and lyric writing were instrumental in the fortunes of the band, and his outward personality was a much needed balance to the other three out front who exhibited a very laid back demeanour for rockers. Did Mike's baldness put a chip on his shoulder? Was it a contributing factor in a lifelong feud with Dennis, who by all accounts was very popular with the ladies?

There is an outtake of a radio promo spot for what I assume, are some UK dates, where Mike is bantering back and forth with someone British..a radio announcer maybe? Anyhow, the discussion is about going to the Beach Boys show, and Mike is doing his usual cornball routine, until the announcer mentions that Mike is bald. There is an audible gasp by the other guys in the group, followed by laughter. Mikes mood immediately changes, you can tell in his voice. Would Mike being bald have contributed to some of the strain between members in the band?

Looking at this from another angle. As Rock continued to evolve in the 60's hair became an incredible part of the landscape. First with the Beatles, whose 'Mop Tops' got almost as much attention as their music. Kids everywhere were sporting 'Beatle Haircuts'. I can't imagine anyone was asking for a 'Mike Love' at the barbershop. Additionally, the myth of the California surfer dude often came complete with long flowing blonde locks, and as Rock and Roll moved to the 70's, the front man was supposed to look like Daltrey or Plant; shirtless, long hair cascading over their shoulders. Would Mike's receding hairline have in anyway, contributed to the negative image of the band during this era, even on a subconscious level?

Anyhow, not a dig at Mike in any way. The Beach Boys were shaped by an incredible confluence of fortune and misfortune. I am just curious if anyone feels, as I do, that a full, thick haired Mike would have made for a different band?
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 08:18:23 AM »

I clicked on this thread expecting the worst, but there's some good analysis here and some plausible armchair psychology too.

Mike knew he was the oldest member of the group -- almost six years older than Carl, and that kind of age difference means something when you're in your teens and twenties. The hair was one sign of this. And if you look at promo materials from the 20/20 era, Mike looks 20+ years older than everyone else, and his hairline is a big part of that.

Afro
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 08:19:19 AM by maggie » Logged
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 09:09:40 AM »

Good analysis.  I think the 60's hair explosion was one reason an increasingly balding Mike decided to grow a beard to compensate.  Not many groups at the time had members with beards (circa early 1966).  Once the Beatles sprouted facial hair in early 1967, everyone followed, but Mike was a little ahead of the game.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 09:34:40 AM »

FYI the british announcer they were doing that skit with for the radio promo was Derek Taylor.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 09:44:43 AM »

FYI the british announcer they were doing that skit with for the radio promo was Derek Taylor.

Wow. That is fascinating. I think it's totally uncool for anybody's physical issues to be brought up as fodder for joking, yet of course this was 50 years ago. Not that it hurt any less for Mike then, I'm sure. Body shaming was alive and well then for men (and even today it's really only widely thought of as uncool to body shame women; even in 2016, body shaming men often rarely registers a blip on the politically incorrect radar).

I can imagine that if this was around the time that Derek Taylor was pushing the Brian is Genius angle, additionally coupled with Taylor publicly putting down Mike in a joking/mocking way about a physical hindrance that must have been very hurtful, that Mike must have HATED Taylor with a passion.

Yet I've never heard Mike even publicly mention Taylor's name. I am sure Mike has said some choice words about him privately.

I think that there is no underestimating the way Mike's balding (not to mention the complete opposite of all of his bandmates, especially the Wilsons, who in absolute contrast all rocked amazing heads of hair) could have impacted Mike's confidence, personality, and actions.  Regardless of any fans having beefs with some of Mike's actions, some of which are less excusable than others, he deserves (and has always deserved) empathy about this.  
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:59:27 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 10:16:39 AM »

It clearly has bothered him for a long time.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 10:24:12 AM »

Much ado about nothing. However, as one who has had a similar horseshoe hairdo since my mid-twenties forty-some years ago, and doesn't particularly like it except for the convenience, but that's the way it is, I will only say two things: 1) I don't mind bald jokes, just tell me a new one, and 2) God gives us only so many hormones; if you want to use yours for growing hair, that's up to you.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 10:26:30 AM »

I think it's totally uncool for anybody's physical issues to be brought up as fodder for joking

Too true. It's inexcusable. But it must have been a sensitive issue for him. He and Dennis had been competing for the ladies in the early days and this felt like a threat.  

The only hairless pop artist I know from the late 60's , early '70s was Ed Cassidy of Spirit but agewise he was from the previous generation and anyway it was his choice...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 10:26:59 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 11:32:24 AM »

I'd love to read the same kind of analysis regarding Bruce's skinny legs, his shorts and their influence on the trajectory of the group's career.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 11:38:27 AM »

surprised during the 70's, he didn't start sporting wigs actually. 
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 11:55:55 AM »

I think it's kinda bizarre that having the same hairline as a lot of the audience - particularly as they age too - is used to stigmatize Mike (there are, after all, plenty of other reasons...). I think it's pretty good that he didn't wear a wig like Simon and Garfunkel, or feel the need to get work done like Springsteen and Petty (who has a better hairline now than he ever did) or sport hair that looks suspiciously plastic, like Elton. Fairly sure Al may have had some work too. Ironically, if he were a young man now, he could sport the shaved look and come across as more 'male' than the rest of the band. He could get some tattoos and piercings and join a nu-metal band. Let's rawk, indeed.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 12:20:51 PM »

When he went on stage during the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, he looked ridiculous wearing the UCLA hat.  Okay, wear a hat during concerts, but no hats during a sort of serious, indoor ceremony. 
KDS
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 12:46:08 PM »

When he went on stage during the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, he looked ridiculous wearing the UCLA hat.  Okay, wear a hat during concerts, but no hats during a sort of serious, indoor ceremony. 

Or at least a formal hat instead of a baseball cap. 
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 12:49:45 PM »

I understand being in the rock and roll business, as a young guy, in the late 60's and early 70's when long hair was really in, that he wanted to compensate for it.  At some point, as an older man who has achieved success, it shouldn't matter.
KDS
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 01:02:57 PM »

I understand being in the rock and roll business, as a young guy, in the late 60's and early 70's when long hair was really in, that he wanted to compensate for it.  At some point, as an older man who has achieved success, it shouldn't matter.

I think the baseball cap has become a bit of a Mike Love trademark over the last 35-40 years.  So much so, that it would be a bit of a shock to see him fronting a show without one. 
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 02:21:57 PM »

I saw a few photos of him at home on FaceBook. He actually looks pretty good bald at this time in his life.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 05:03:38 PM »

I've heard the tape that features Mike and Derek Taylor. They were bantering back and forth and it was good natured as I recall. Mike , being the eternal wise-ass and the guy who usually gets the last word  didn't this time ,and it was pretty funny.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 05:51:20 PM »

Mike looked good when he went hatless more often circa 1970-71.

Mike's baldness has been a fact of life for a long time - just imagine his secret delight as other 60 plus rockers (Jagger, McCartney, Daltrey, Petty, damn near everyone in Aerosmith) sport suspiciously full heads of hair...someone's hair anyway. Unlike those guys who need to maintain a look, Mike has no shame in having been bald nearly forever.

Rock On, Michael!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 08:55:17 PM »

Mike could get one of those leafy shower caps likeBilly Gibbons wear on all occasions.  I've got to say wearing a hat of some kind becomes a part of a bald guys presentation, whether it is a rug or a hat or a topper of the Billy gibbons sort.  People don't know who u r without it.     I have personally had this experience.   Once u have taken up this deceptive practice it becomes very hard to go back to public display of the old shiner.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 09:01:38 PM by donald » Logged
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2016, 10:19:21 PM »

Mike's baldness has been a fact of life for a long time - just imagine his secret delight as other 60 plus rockers (Jagger, McCartney, Daltrey, Petty, damn near everyone in Aerosmith) sport suspiciously full heads of hair...someone's hair anyway. Unlike those guys who need to maintain a look, Mike has no shame in having been bald nearly forever.

He must be mad that Manson still has a head of hair...
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 11:44:20 AM »

I think the hard hat was grossly underappreciated:

https://youtu.be/zMDQh8Cxq58?t=1m28s
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 03:42:51 PM »

I don't think so. The caps have been his trademark since about 1966, but Mike has been seen without a hat - bald - on many an occasion. IMO he came to terms with this issue long ago. By contrast, many rockers who had full heads of hair much of their public lives are trying to cover their hair loss with weaves, hairpieces, and transplants. Mike seems more dignified by comparison.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2016, 05:33:44 PM »

Or at least a formal hat instead of a baseball cap. 
  a top hat?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 05:35:12 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2016, 05:55:41 PM »

I don't think so. The caps have been his trademark since about 1966, but Mike has been seen without a hat - bald - on many an occasion. IMO he came to terms with this issue long ago. By contrast, many rockers who had full heads of hair much of their public lives are trying to cover their hair loss with weaves, hairpieces, and transplants. Mike seems more dignified by comparison.

Actually very few times since the mid 70s has he been seen bald in public. Including major awards ceremonies.
I don't know that wearing hats almost constantly since 1966 is much different than wearing a wig. Achieves the same thing?
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2016, 06:23:40 PM »

He has made jokes about being bald in some of his recent FB posts. He's also posted several photos sporting his bald head (and looking pretty handsome). He seems to take it gracefully- at least in old age.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx