gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:06:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: the Bambu Sessions  (Read 6896 times)
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2016, 07:36:54 AM »

What year/s did Dennis have the Bambu Sessions for his follow up to Pacific Ocean Blue?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 10:32:47 AM »

What year/s did Dennis have the Bambu Sessions for his follow up to Pacific Ocean Blue?

1977 and '78. AGD will clarify:

http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs77.html

http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs78.html 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 01:20:11 PM »

http://beachboysarchives.com/page12

http://beachboysarchives.com/page11
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 03:41:40 PM »

Was there any logic as to what ended up as a bonus track on disc 1 of the Pacific Ocean Blue/Bambu set and what ended up on disc 2? I'm only just now realizing that things like "Only with You" and "Mexico" were recorded after POB was released.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 03:59:08 PM »

Was there any logic as to what ended up as a bonus track on disc 1 of the Pacific Ocean Blue/Bambu set and what ended up on disc 2? I'm only just now realizing that things like "Only with You" and "Mexico" were recorded after POB was released.

The backing track for "Only With You" was recorded during the POB sessions, although the vocals were reportedly added a year later.
To be honest, I think they just put stuff where they did mostly 'cause it fit where it did. Although Guercio really wanted to end Bambu with "Piano Variations".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 04:22:16 PM »

I would love To have a "sequal" to the POB/Bambu set. Are there any other high quality unreleased songs in the vaults? I know that Dennis re-recorded "All Alone" in 1979. I would give my left foot to hear the "Labor Day" tape, if it still exists.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 04:26:46 PM »

To be honest, I think they just put stuff where they did mostly 'cause it fit where it did. Although Guercio really wanted to end Bambu with "Piano Variations".

And, as I noted in my other thread, as beautiful as "Piano Variations" is, it doesn't really resemble "Thoughts of You" -- it's in a different key and has a largely different chord progression! (It's more similar to "Cuddle Up" and "Time" than it is to "Thoughts of You." I'm inclined to think it's a demo for a different song than all of the above.)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 04:37:01 PM by maggie » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 11:29:15 PM »

I would love To have a "sequal" to the POB/Bambu set. Are there any other high quality unreleased songs in the vaults? I know that Dennis re-recorded "All Alone" in 1979. I would give my left foot to hear the "Labor Day" tape, if it still exists.

More than one person, around the time of BAMBU's release, swore to me there was.  I was highly skeptical, but I heard the same thing from two or three people who'd be in a position to know, and they were talking about releasing it.  Needless to say, it didn't happen. So make of that what you will.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 10:00:22 PM »

More than one person, around the time of BAMBU's release, swore to me there was.  I was highly skeptical, but I heard the same thing from two or three people who'd be in a position to know, and they were talking about releasing it.  Needless to say, it didn't happen. So make of that what you will.
Now that sounds pretty intriguing.  Grin Another thing I'd dearly love to have is a cd or two of rehearsals for Dennis's abandoned tour.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 08:00:55 AM »

Now that sounds pretty intriguing.  Grin Another thing I'd dearly love to have is a cd or two of rehearsals for Dennis's abandoned tour.

I second that!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 02:47:58 PM »

Somebody on here(maybe Andrew Doe?)once said that Carl was to be a part of the touring band, and that the set list would have been the complete POB album, with an encore of "Baby Blue". I'd pretty much move Heaven and Earth to hear that.  Grin

I second that!

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 03:19:17 AM »

A release of those rehearsals was going to be the next project from Guercio after POB/Bambu, but after the success of the Legacy release it apparently stalled and is on indefinite hold. A shame, since these tapes are supposed to be absolutely incredible.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
MatchPoint
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 03:58:17 PM »

I really dig this album art for the release.

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 11:30:12 PM »

Sorry to be a bit off-topic, but I'd prefer a release of Dennis Wilson Box Set or multiple CD set which includes (all of) his songs in the vaults from post-Friends Sessions to 'Labor Day' Sessions. I think that would sell pretty well, considering how many copies of Pacific Ocean Blue/Bamboo 30th anniversary set.

I'd prefer Brother/Caribou Rarities box set of 6 (or so) CD's even more, though.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 04:04:34 AM »

Sorry to be a bit off-topic, but I'd prefer a release of Dennis Wilson Box Set or multiple CD set which includes (all of) his songs in the vaults from post-Friends Sessions to 'Labor Day' Sessions. I think that would sell pretty well, considering how many copies of Pacific Ocean Blue/Bamboo 30th anniversary set.

I'd prefer Brother/Caribou Rarities box set of 6 (or so) CD's even more, though.

For that to happen, there would need to be a Brother-Caribou joint release (like what was done with the Stones' Forty Licks and Grrr! releases, which were done jointly through ABCKO-UMe). These kinds of intra-label collaborations are rare.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 05:09:19 AM »

For that to happen, there would need to be a Brother-Caribou joint release (like what was done with the Stones' Forty Licks and Grrr! releases, which were done jointly through ABCKO-UMe). These kinds of intra-label collaborations are rare.
Is Ten Years of Harmony such a joint release? Are there any examples of joint releases in BB catalog?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 08:18:11 PM »

Is Ten Years of Harmony such a joint release? Are there any examples of joint releases in BB catalog?

Ten Years Of Harmony was released in 1981, when Brother was in an ongoing joint venture with Caribou/CBS. When the Beach Boys left Warner/Reprise in '78, they brought with them the rights to their 1970-'78 catalog - so there was no problem doing that compilation. After they left CBS in '86, they took their ;79-'85 catalog with them, too - which is how releases like Made In USA were possible.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 03:15:32 AM »

Ten Years Of Harmony was released in 1981, when Brother was in an ongoing joint venture with Caribou/CBS. When the Beach Boys left Warner/Reprise in '78, they brought with them the rights to their 1970-'78 catalog - so there was no problem doing that compilation. After they left CBS in '86, they took their ;79-'85 catalog with them, too - which is how releases like Made In USA were possible.
I didn't know that! Thanks for the info.
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 08:10:42 AM »

Dennis still has a bunch of unreleased songs from the POB/Bambu era

Flowers Come In The Spring - Lady re-recorded
Hellen Keller - Dennis on lead with lyrics by Steve Kalinich
Don't Want Much Just A Country Or Two Maybe A Planet Before It's Through - another one written with Kalinich
Mona Kana - Re-recording of Mona Kani from 1968
Marble Sittin On A Kitchen Table - Another Kalinich lyric
Life Symphony - Another co-write with Kalinich
End Of The Show - Alternate version with Bruce Johnston on backing vocals
I Didn't Mean To Make You Cry - dunno
Takin' Off - ?
Here Comes The Sun - Cover of the Beatles song
Oh Darling - Supposedly also a Beatles cover
Fever - ?
My Loves Coming Down - Part of this turned into Love Remember Me and apparently the beginning of it is a re-recorded version of the unreleased song 'All Of My Love'
Down In Mexico - something to do with San Miguel
Something New - ?
Let Me Out Of Here - Apparently considers for the LA(Light Album) at some stage along with Wild Situation, Time For Bed, Constant Companion and I Love You
Shu-Ru-Bop - A Carli Munoz song
La Plena de Amor - Another Munoz tune
Labour Day - apparently there is a tape labeled 'Labour Day' which features a piano and vocal track by Dennis, this was Dennis Wilson's last known session.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 11:59:40 PM »

Curious what he did with them arrangement-wise.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2017, 04:55:34 PM »

Dennis still has a bunch of unreleased songs from the POB/Bambu era

Flowers Come In The Spring - Lady re-recorded
Hellen Keller - Dennis on lead with lyrics by Steve Kalinich
Don't Want Much Just A Country Or Two Maybe A Planet Before It's Through - another one written with Kalinich
Mona Kana - Re-recording of Mona Kani from 1968
Marble Sittin On A Kitchen Table - Another Kalinich lyric
Life Symphony - Another co-write with Kalinich
End Of The Show - Alternate version with Bruce Johnston on backing vocals
I Didn't Mean To Make You Cry - dunno
Takin' Off - ?
Fever - ?
My Loves Coming Down - Part of this turned into Love Remember Me and apparently the beginning of it is a re-recorded version of the unreleased song 'All Of My Love'
Down In Mexico - something to do with San Miguel
Something New - ?
Let Me Out Of Here - Apparently considers for the LA(Light Album) at some stage along with Wild Situation, Time For Bed, Constant Companion and I Love You
Shu-Ru-Bop - A Carli Munoz song
La Plena de Amor - Another Munoz tune
Labour Day - apparently there is a tape labeled 'Labour Day' which features a piano and vocal track by Dennis, this was Dennis Wilson's last known session.

Sadly, although these were all undoubtedly written, some of these weren't actually recorded.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2017, 04:59:35 PM »

I really dig this album art for the release.

Is this truly the original sleeve art? I dig it too. Anybody ever find the back side?
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 03:05:43 PM »

Is this truly the original sleeve art? I dig it too. Anybody ever find the back side?

It's the artwork from this years Record Store Day Lp

https://www.discogs.com/release/10171845-Bambu-The-Caribou-Sessions/images

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx