gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:22:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Wild Honey' version of "Surf's Up"?  (Read 5155 times)
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2016, 04:35:05 PM »

The last couple days, I've found something (posted twice, by different people) on YouTube that I never heard before.... it appears to be a solo piano performance of "Surf's Up" from the Wild Honey sessions.

I've NEVER heard of this before, though that sort of 'saloon' piano sound definitely points to the Wild Honey era.  Anyone know more information about this?
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 04:53:24 PM »

First released on the Smile Sessions box in 2011 and subsequently on Made in California in 2013.
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 06:36:21 PM »

I remember hearing that it was found at the end of a Wild Honey session tape.

Jon G.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 10:58:57 AM »

I remember hearing that it was found at the end of a Wild Honey session tape.

At the end of session tapes for "Country Air", to be more specific Razz

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
zavarov
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 04:20:11 PM »

I love this version. Brian is so sad, doing a song that the band completely didn't understand. His voice here is unique for me, matured, tired. He's a man.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 10:45:12 PM »

It's taken a half-step lower than the original, which gives it a low/possibly tired sounding quality.
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 10:06:02 AM »

Mark Linett: "... on this set, we were transferring reels for the Wild Honey album late last year and completely unmarked on the session reel for a song called “Country Air” discovered Brian doing four or five takes of “Surf’s  Up” – just him at the piano from late ’67.  So, we included that on the box.  No explanation for why he did that and it was never taken any farther.  Although I don’t think the intention was to take it any farther because it’s just him singing live and playing piano."

http://www.iconfetch.com/great-music-interviews/2011-shows/418-mark-linett-beach-boys-smile-part-two-interview.html
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 10:38:53 AM »

4 or 5 takes... wish we could hear them all.

Brian's falsetto at the end is absolutely soaring. heartbreaking but magnificent.
the fact that he changed the key and slightly changed the chords/arrangement shows the song was still important to him. so glad it was found and released. makes you wonder what else might be hiding at the end of other reels...?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 12:29:11 PM »

4 or 5 takes but not all (if any) were complete - they had to edit together multiple takes to get the version released.

The MIC version is a different mix than the Smile Sessions box.

I think I read somewhere that Brian had purchased a new piano and that was the impetus for his recording the song?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 04:18:39 PM »

4 or 5 takes but not all (if any) were complete - they had to edit together multiple takes to get the version released.

I think I read somewhere that Brian had purchased a new piano and that was the impetus for his recording the song?

Well, it's that detuned piano that's all over the Wild Honey album and other tracks from the next few years. According to Bruce, it was a grand (probably baby grand), not an upright. And yes, it sat in the sandbox. For a time.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 06:24:51 PM »

Can anyone tell me the difference between the MIC and the Smile Sessions mixes? They both sound pretty identical to me!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 08:55:43 PM »

Can anyone tell me the difference between the MIC and the Smile Sessions mixes? They both sound pretty identical to me!

If I recall, the MIC mix removed some tape glitches that were on the Smile Sessions.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 02:12:26 AM »

I think the reverb is a little heavier on the Smile Sessions version also

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 07:19:44 AM »

Well, it's that detuned piano that's all over the Wild Honey album and other tracks from the next few years. According to Bruce, it was a grand (probably baby grand), not an upright. And yes, it sat in the sandbox. For a time.
I love the sound of that piano!
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 07:50:27 AM »

Wait-- Was this THE sandbox piano, c-man? Was it the instrument Brian and Van wrote Smile on? I thought the sandbox would have been gone before Wild Honey.
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 10:55:45 AM »

Was this the Chickering piano?  That one was a grand and I believe was around in 66.
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 02:28:11 PM »

I made a version of "Surf's Up" with the 1967 demo synced with the 1st movement.
Here's a link.
mega:#!gtohzZKL

Description Key is !jEm-VNPyrcSr4eOeo7jbPfeJgA-k9Crs4Ek5CrfDLjY

Jon G.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 02:41:57 PM »

Was this the Chickering piano?  That one was a grand and I believe was around in 66.

I think so...sounds like it

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx