gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 12:06:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Remastering question?  (Read 1513 times)
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2016, 09:43:19 PM »

I was looking at the liner notes of one of the original remasters (which I still think sound excellent) and there was a note indicating that the recordings had been 24-bit remastered. I then looked in another one and saw a note from Linett saying that they had used some technology that takes a 24-bit sound file and makes it possible to transfer it to a 16-bit CD.

I'm not much of an audiophile, but I know a little. A compact disc is only capable of handling a 16-bit file, correct?

I understand the difference between bit depths and so on.

Is a 24-bit file "converted" so it can be played on a 16-bit CD still possess the same attributes as the original 24-bit file...or has something been lost due to compression or whatever?

I remember when the Beatles did their remasters back in 2009...they released a USB that contained 24-bit FLAC's of all of the remastered tracks.

Personally, I don't know if my ears can really hear much difference between 24 and 16 bits (though I thought the Beatles USB sounded pretty good).

I guess I'm really just curious to know the true process behind the technology used on these remasters.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 10:23:16 PM »

I think this is what you are talking about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Definition_Compatible_Digital

HDCD encodes the equivalent of 20 bits worth of data in a 16-bit digital audio signal by using custom dithering, audio filters, and some reversible amplitude and gain encoding; Peak Extend, which is a reversible soft limiter and Low Level Range Extend, which is a reversible gain on low-level signals. There is thus a benefit at the expense of a very minor increase in noise.

In order to hear the difference, you need to use a player or software capable of decoding the HDCD tracks. The wikipedia article lists a bunch, including Windows Media Player.

Personally, I don't think I can hear the difference... But maybe my equipment isn't good enough.

EDIT: HDCD is discussed at length in this thread: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5970.0.html
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 06:57:42 AM by Cristian Kiper » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 04:53:28 AM »

24 bit is currently the highest resolution digital format in commercial use - it more accurately reproduces the master tape and sounds more "analogue" and less digital as digital artifacts are minimized.  This 24 bit master could then be released on an audio DVD, Blu Ray, or SACD.  If the record company only wants to release a regular 16 bit CD, as the audiophile audience with the equipment to listen to 24 bit is more limited, the engineer can take the 24 bit master and dither it down to 16 bits.  Depending on how the conversion to 16 bit is done, some think the result can sound better than a straight 16 bit digital mastering of the original tape.  I'm skeptical of that assertion but it's difficult to prove or disprove because you would have to hear the same mastering - EQ etc. - with the two different transfer techniques, which rarely happens.

You can compare a 24 bit master with a 16 bit master - get any of the Beach Boys AP SACDs which have both on them.  I don't know if the 16 bit was made from the 24 or if they did separate 16 and 24 bit transfers.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 08:22:19 AM »

I can definitely hear the difference. The remasters (and remixes) on the HDCD release Summer Love Songs, for instance, sound exceptional.
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 09:27:45 AM »

I can definitely hear the difference. The remasters (and remixes) on the HDCD release Summer Love Songs, for instance, sound exceptional.

I can hear the difference between the 1990 and 2001 remasters, what I meant was that I don't think I can hear the difference between a 2001 remaster with HDCD disabled or enabled (like, playing the discs using a regular CD player or playing them with Windows Media Player).

The 50th anniversary edition of Pet Sounds doesn't use HDCD, I wonder if Mark Linett has decided to stop using the technology.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:31:26 AM by Cristian Kiper » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 10:02:46 AM »

HDCD is not the same as 24 bit, it supposedly does increase the resolution of a 16 bit CD but the difference is not nearly as great as between 24 bit and 16. 
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 10:10:39 AM »

HDCD is not the same as 24 bit, it supposedly does increase the resolution of a 16 bit CD but the difference is not nearly as great as between 24 bit and 16. 

My understanding has always been that HDCD takes a 24-bit digital master and dithers it down to 16-bit. Maybe something else is done along the way, but that's how I understand it.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 11:04:27 AM »

My understanding has always been that HDCD takes a 24-bit digital master and dithers it down to 16-bit. Maybe something else is done along the way, but that's how I understand it.

Ok I see what you are saying.  That is likely the way hdcds are done today.  HDCD is equivalent to 20 bit so theoretically a 20 bit master could be used.  I know there were a slew of Japanese "K 2" CDs that were 20 bit dithered down to 16 (not HDCD however).
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 09:22:18 PM »

I really like the sound on the 2001 remasters. Nicely packaged (especially when compared to the crap EMI tossed out several years ago...don't get me started on those cheap sleeves...bad, low res photos...and everything).

I was just curious about how they were made...so thanks for all of the replies.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx