gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:47:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vanity Fair Review of the Books  (Read 10809 times)
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2016, 12:11:52 PM »

I'm more interested in Mike's, he actually wrote his.

Um, they both used ghostwriters...

And 99.9999 percent of celebrity "autobiographies" are ghostwritten.

The only ones that aren't are people who are actually professional writers themselves, off the top of my head tina fey, amy pohler, mindy kaling, etc.... i doubt Brian or Mike, while great at writing songs, would be able to put together a great book all by themselves. Also, I doubt they would want to. Sitting down at a blank page and trying to write 300 pages is really, really hard if you've not spent your life doing it.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2016, 12:36:54 PM »

I'm more interested in Mike's, he actually wrote his.

Where are you getting your information from, Shady? Do you have info on how the books were written to make that statement?

I didn't really mean pen to paper, my bad.

But can we all agree that Mike is probably much more involved in the writing process of his book then Brian, I mean that in all due respect.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2016, 06:32:51 PM »

But can we all agree that Mike is probably much more involved in the writing process of his book then Brian, I mean that in all due respect.

No, I don't think there's any reason to make that assumption.

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2016, 07:36:10 AM »

I would make that assumption, given Brian's usual level of engagement in these kinds of things and Mike's hard-on about setting the record straight.
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2016, 08:37:02 AM »

Brian appears to have been pretty hands on with the writing of this book.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2016, 08:58:54 AM »

I think it's entirely possible that Mike remembers more than Brian does about a lot of things.  This is by NO MEANS a slight against Brian, but I would think that given his mental illness and substance problems, some of the memories of certain periods could be less than crystal clear.  This could have an impact on the content of the books (neither of which I've read or seen yet). 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 08:59:46 AM by marcella27 » Logged
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2016, 03:09:59 PM »

What is probably irking Mike a bit, I suspect, is the fact that Brian's book is lapping his in terms of pre-sales (check the Amazon pages: Mike is #4, Brian is #1). It could be that the Lovester is trying to get his sales numbers boosted...if so, expect to see several more reviews of this type in the next 3-4 weeks.

I welcome Mike's tales, even though I will take them with some as-yet undetermined number of salt grains. As will also be the case with Brian's book. I find Steve Desper's writings about the music far more illuminating...if, admittedly, a good bit less titillating!

As for the question of when the "rift" in the band first materialized...one doesn't have to read the lines to know that problems between Brian and Mike surfaced almost from the first blush of success, and that Brian was looking for other creative collaborators as early as late 1962. It has never sat well with Mike, and that continues to be the case more than five decades later.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:11:40 PM by Don Malcolm » Logged
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2016, 08:34:24 PM »

History is not just one winning narrative. . . . I love Mike and Brian, and I just want to see them on stage singing together--and writing songs and "being" what they are in their souls and hearts: Beach Boys. Nothing else matters.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx