gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:36:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vanity Fair Review of the Books  (Read 10850 times)
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2016, 09:23:53 AM »

I read a Vanity Fair review of the competing memoirs of Mike Love and Brian Wilson, which says the Love book is better.  Apparently, there is a fair amount of Manson related info in Mike's book.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 09:30:47 AM »

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2016/08/brian-wilson-mike-love-and-the-psychodrama-behind-the-beach-boys-legacy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 09:35:03 AM »

Reposting my notes from the Blueboard:

"... Dennis (the surfer stud and future co-star of the existential driving experience Two-Lane Blacktop), and Carl Wilson (the most soulful crooner) ..."
(And so, the "lesser" Beach Boys are taken care of. Bravo!)

"... the slangy vernacular and catchy concision of “Little Deuce Coupe” and “I Get Around” conjure the energy burst of the Tom Wolfe tangerine-flaked streamlined era, while the self-conscious quest of Surf’s Up for prophecy and profundity seems more like recording-studio heroics."
(TOM WOLFE'S TANGERINE-FLAKED STREAMLINED ERA??? IN THE SAME SENTENCE WHERE HE'S PANNING SURF'S UP?)

"He was a genius, but genius isn’t everything, and sometimes it isn’t even enough."
(I guess he is not speaking from personal experience here...)

Though obviously a big fan of Mike's, he seems to have learned remarkably little from his hero's writing style... he reads much more like a bad would-be VDP imitator.

As Smiley Smile exclusive content, I'll add that I'd be seriously worried about Brian's book if this guy had preferred it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 09:53:09 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 09:42:13 AM »

well, our culture has reached BW "adult child" genius mythology saturation. . . .logical to start thinking about Mike beyond the obvious and overplayed demonizations. . .
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 09:50:18 AM »

Right, "it's time to destroy the legend of Brian Wilson". It's not like we owe anything to him, after all. Angry
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:13:17 AM by thorgil » Logged

Gohi
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 10:01:13 AM »

Opening sentence was so cringeworthy I immediately left the page and I will not finish the article. Thank you for your time.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 10:09:40 AM »

Gohi, but that way you missed Tom Wolfe's tangerine-flaked streamlined era... Grin
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:10:44 AM by thorgil » Logged

KDS
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 10:21:53 AM »

Wow, the trashing of Mike's book started earlier than expected...................

But, seriously, considering the author of this article cited the "Time to destroy the legend of Brian Wilson" (which was an article obviously written to stir up Brianistas on this and other message boards), I wouldn't put a ton of stock in this review. 
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 10:31:38 AM »

kds, nobody is "trashing" Mike's book. I even said that the article's author obviously didn't learn from Mike's writing style.
But what do I know? I am only a "Brianista", good only to be "stirred up".
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:33:00 AM by thorgil » Logged

KDS
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 10:38:26 AM »

kds, nobody is "trashing" Mike's book. I even said that the article's author obviously didn't learn from Mike's writing style.
But what do I know? I am only a "Brianista", good only to be "stirred up".

Sorry, Thorgil.  I really needed a sarcasm font.  I thought the "But seriously" on my second sentence would've taken care of that. 

Come on, thorgil.  You read that ridiculous "Destroy the legend of Brian Wilson article" right?  Looking at the points in that article, it's obvious that the author had been reading this and other BB forums and decided to write an article that he knew for a fact would piss people off.  And he succeeded. 
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 10:50:12 AM »

James Wolcott writes a monthly column for Vanity Fair where he'll often take up a new book or books as a starting-point for musing on a particular topic - he'll generally start with a snarky meditation on the subject, then spend the rest of the piece discussing what the book says. This is much shorter than his usual column so I wonder if the print issue of Vanity Fair in which this apparently will appear, due out in a few days, will have a longer version of the piece.

Tim Sommer and Wolcott, as it happens, both practically lived in CBGB, a few years apart -  Tim when he was a leading player in the 1981-82 NYC thrash scene, back in the days when he probably would have jumped into the East River rather than grow up to be somebody who could sign Hootie and the Blowfish to a record deal, while Wolcott was one of the earliest journalists to hang out in the club in '74-75.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 12:07:53 PM »

There's nothing shocking about liking the "hotrod gum snaps" era  Brian wrote those ones too,y' know.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:14:53 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 12:46:18 PM »

Just good to know that Dennis kicked the sh*t out of myKe luHv backstage. I had no worries that Denny could pulverize luHv but now it's official. I would have paid B I G money to see that happen!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 08:33:22 PM »

What does his goatee have to do with anything...?
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 10:24:45 PM »

If you are bitching about how everyone unfairly demonizes you, it kinda helps if you don't look like a douchey Anton LeVey follower.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 08:58:24 AM »

So as I figured, the big sticking point is when Brian got called a genius in the press. A big no-no. Unacceptable. Somehow, this didn't seem to bug Denny. I wonder if that interesting dichotomy will be addressed. Gotta love how Mike refers to the genuis title in the past tense. If Mike has a bone to pick with anyone, maybe he should start an argument at the grave of the late Derek Taylor. Isn't it all Taylor's "fault"?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2016, 09:10:03 AM »

Mike's using the co-author to flesh out his interviews of being a bitter f*ckwit... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 01:35:58 PM »

I read the review before it was on this site and immediately thought, oh, the Brianistas are gonna have a cow.  Predictable.

I do sincerely think though that the labeling of Brian as a genius probably hurt him greatly.  I remember reading a Spector book where he said something to the effect, "maybe Brian's just not really that smart".  It does seem he wigged out after the genius hype began.

Something to ponder....I don't think Spector meant Brian was not smart at all, maybe just he had been promotionally pushed to a title he didn't perhaps deserve.  But calling anyone a "pop genius" sort of has its own built in qualifier, you may as well be calling them a "junior genius" or somehow, "a genius, but you know, not a GENIUS".

I have thought at times listening to particular BBs and BW moments that "this is a work of genius".  But on the other hand, I have felt the same listening to the Seeds or the Music Machine or a Terry Kirkman song, and then kind of go, "okay, maybe3 time to curb your enthusiasm" to coin a phrase.  Strange how extreme affection for some pop art gets easily conflated into genius.

I think the Beatles are a prime example of this.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 07:20:08 PM »

1) Brian IS a genius.
2) Mike is not.
3) "Brianistas" are right, and always will be.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 07:26:37 PM »

1) Brian IS a genius.
2) Mike is not.
Here is the preview of the woots: w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 08:06:21 PM »

If you are bitching about how everyone unfairly demonizes you, it kinda helps if you don't look like a douchey Anton LeVey follower.

I repeat.. What does his goatee have to do with anything..
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2016, 08:10:20 PM »

For starters, everything.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2016, 08:18:39 PM »

The toolbag 1961- present.

KDS
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2016, 09:04:09 PM »

Nothing
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2016, 10:21:13 PM »

1) Brian IS a genius.
2) Mike is not.

Hug Hello Thumbs Up w00t! w00t! w00t! Happy Dance Rock! High Five Pirate

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx