gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:09:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: does it get better than this?  (Read 3853 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2006, 10:51:48 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDTCh1dUxUQ

i love paul's re-creation of the wall of sound...seeing that upright played, the sleigh bells, horns...it's all there...especially darlene

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 07:12:44 AM »

Very good !! Not many people can re-create that sound as great and honest....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 10:06:09 AM »

Man, sounds like a performance directly from the '60s, which obvisouly is what they're going for. Diggin that fat bari sound. Thanks for sharing!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 10:08:29 AM by Old_Master_Painter » Logged

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 10:49:35 AM »

Before I checked the link, my sarcastic side was ready to answer with a simple "yes."

Now...no, not by much. Great to see and hear.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 01:49:42 PM »

When I was a kid, I used to watch all these pbs specials on television with my dad... and they would parade out all these 60's groups or singers like Brenda Lee or the Tokens or Jerry Lee Lewis or Peggy Marsh.... and on two or three shows, Darlene Love showed up and stole the show everytime.  Incredible performer. 

I've seen her on Letterman doing this song about 3 times, gets better each year.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 06:28:28 PM »

Great.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 02:14:38 PM »

I couldn't access the youtube site from this computer but I gather you're talking about Darlene Love's annual performance of Christmas Baby Please Come Home on the Letterman show.

You're absolutely right.  It gets no better than that.  They've done this going on 15 years, more or less.

Each year there are different background singers and the Bari player always offers up a surprise....dressed as santa descending from the rafters via cable doing the sax break, popping out of a big xmas package.

One year backup singers included Sissy Houston and Phoebe Snow, Last year, or the year before, Elle Greenich (co-writer of the song) sang as part of the back up vocalists.

Paul Schaffer always seems to be enjoying himself WAY too much. They practically steal the wall of sound.
I tape it every year and it is a big part of the xmas celebration at my house.

Be sure to visit the Letterman websight in December to check the date of the performance.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 07:22:01 AM »

that's awesome, didn't know it had been going that long...paul seems to enjoy himself way too much anytime...i wanna see what he was like during Metal Beach...but I dont know, if i had a basic ripoff of the Wall of Sound at my hands, i'd prolly be real excited too

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx