gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:20:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike, Bruce, David, and b.v.s on TWGMTR  (Read 6013 times)
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2016, 04:19:42 PM »

Hello folks. First-time poster.

During my lurking, I saw some discussion (not very conclusive) of the backing vocals on the That's Why God Made the Radio album. This brought to mind a question I've had since I first heard the record, namely -- what background parts are sung by Bruce and Mike (and David, if applicable)? Does Mike sing bass on TWGMTR? Where is Bruce singing? I can sort of hear him on "Shelter" ("dit-di-it" on the chorus) but I guess I don't know what his 21st-century voice sounds like well enough to recognize him elsewhere.

One poster suggested that almost all of the background vocals on the album are a wall-of-Brian-and-Jeff effect, with little involvement from the other BBs except where they have lead breaks. (The same poster contrasted this with NPP, which apparently has a lot more Al and Blondie in the blend throughout than TWGMTR has Al, Bruce, or Mike). Is that true?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 04:31:48 PM »

According to David himself, he doesn't sing anywhere on the album.

Bruce sings one of the high parts on Isn't It Time and is actually quite audible.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 04:50:36 PM »

The a cappella-ish breakdown toward the end of "Bill and Sue" is a good slice of the Bruce-Jeff-Brian-Al-Mike harmony mix. Bruce and Jeff on the highs, Brian and especially Al nice and prominent in the middle, and Mike on the bass. Probably my favorite part of the whole album.
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 05:39:46 PM »

Brian -and mostly Jeff- had recorded their voices as scratch vocals for all the tunes, for the rest of the band to overdub their own voices instead. The band then ran out of time while recording the album, so they ended up keeping a lot of these "demo" vocal tracks.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 06:41:27 PM »

So David says he doesn't sing on the album but...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgONinOJFIE
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 07:49:28 PM »

So David says he doesn't sing on the album but...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgONinOJFIE

Three things worth mentioning after that clip:

1. Just because there is footage of David around the microphone doesn't mean it made the cut. He has made it very clear that his vocals aren't on the record and if you read the personnel you will not find a vocal credit anywhere for him.

2. Still laughing at Al Jardine saying "this one last time..."

3. If those close-ups on Bruce singing the top harmony part on "Shelter" and the melody on the chorus for "Isn't it Time?" aren't proof that these album was heavily soaked in auto-tune, I don't know what is...
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 04:04:33 AM »

Is Bruce not on "Think About The Days"?
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 04:09:49 AM »

Bruce sings one of the high parts on Isn't It Time and is actually quite audible.
And quite good, autotoons or not. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:13:58 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 04:25:33 AM »

Is Bruce not on "Think About The Days"?

Of course he is...all of the group minus Dave and plus Jeff sing on all of the album's tracks. Plus Mike's kids for "Daybreak".
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 04:54:44 AM »

Bruce's voice seemed to be so unmistakably there to me right from the start, which is why I posted that. I do not feel that TWGMTR sounded like a wall of Brians and Jeff's. I have always thought that no matter how good any band can replicate the vocal harmonies of the Beach Boys, it will never sound as good as having Brian, Dennis, Carl, Al, Mike and Bruce singing them. Same exact notes, but a different sound somehow. Jeff does a stellar job filling in as far as I am concerned. Having Mike, Al and Bruce in the mix just sounds right, and I am one from the camp that loves the entire "That's Why God Made the Radio" album. Even the "Mike songs" and "The Private Life of Bill and Sue".
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 05:30:45 AM »

Ah yes, I forgot about the chorus of "Isn't It Time." As you say, that's clearly Bruce.

The "Bill and Sue" breakdown was a good call too. I can sort of hear Bruce on "Think About the Days" but I mostly hear Jeff and Al there. A lot of times I simply don't recognize who the voices are, which is very unusual for the Beach Boys for me.

For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of this album, pitch correction notwithstanding. Whoever's singing the harmonies, they're lovely, and the songs are great.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 07:58:32 AM »

The vocals on TWGMTR (and, to some degree, "No Pier Pressure") are performed and mixed in a weird way where the lead vocals (sometimes multiple) and backing vocals are sometimes smushed together to where you can't really pinpoint one single voice singing one, single-tracked lead. I don't know how much of this was due to liking the sound, versus trying to cover stuff up, or what.

In terms of what I hear is most audible (as opposed to necessarily who technically is singing on the sessions), here's what I hear on the album:

1. Think About the Days - Al is obviously first most prominent with the "doo-doos" and whatnot. I hear Mike's nasal voice (not a dig, just trying to be descriptive), and I also hear Bruce prominently. Jeff is of course all over it. Ironically, Brian is least audible to my ears.

2. That's Why God Made the Radio - Brian and Al's lead lines are obvious, of course, though this is a classic example of that "smushing together" thing I was talking about. Foskett is all over this, too much so. Bruce is clear on the backing vocals. Mike sounds the least audible on this one (I think his voice is discernible near the end repeating the "that's why god made, that's why god made" before it kicks back in). It kind of just sounds like a wall of Fosketts with Brian, Al, and Bruce peeking through at times.

3. Isn't It Time - All four are pretty audible on this one.

4. Spring Vacation - Mike and Brian are obvious of course, and Brian is strong on backing vocals on this one. Bruce is high in the mix during the "seems like it could go on forever, etc.". Al is the one who is least audible on this one, if he's on it. The basic "aaahhhh" backing vocals during the verses are the most likely place he can be found, and those vocals for once aren't super-Foskettized, and one of the moments where you can almost imagine Carl being in the blend.

5. Private Life of Bill and Sue - A lot of Foskett and Brian on this one. As c-man mentioned, the group come in more prominently nearer the end.

6. Shelter - Besides Brian and Foskett, Al is prominent in the backing vocals (heard even more clearly during an isolate vocal bit on the "Doin' it Again" documentary). Bruce sounds like he's discernible as well. Mike comes in (doubled with falsetto by either Foskett, or, I believe according to Joe Thomas, actually Brian himself) on the "do you ever still think of me?" lines.

7. Daybreak over the Ocean - Mike solo track, sounds like the group tacked on the backing vocals during a few "bring back" interludes, with Al most prominent. In fact, it kind of just sounds like Al added to Mike's solo track, though I would assume Bruce and Brian are on it too (dunno if Foskett replaced Adrian Baker during those bits).

8. Beaches in Mind - Ironically, considering this wasn't one of the stockpiled older recordings, it's quite heavy on Fosketts. Mike is of course prominent. Brian, Al, and Bruce could easily all be there, though smoothed out in a wall of voices included a lot of Foskett.

9. Strange World - Al heavy on backing vocals, as is Brian. Bruce and Mike less discernible, though there's some bass stuff there.

10. From There to Back Again - The vocals are not quite "wall of Foskett" enough with a bit more nasal quality that I can think I can discern all four BBs including Mike on backing vocals. Mike is of course singing the bit near the end.

11. Pacific Coast Highway - The vocal intro here is one of the few moments where it's "Aaaah.... That's the Beach Boys!" instead of sounding like a bunch of Fosketts. It's the one moment where I could almost swear for a microsecond Carl's in there; it's so later-era "Beach Boys" sounding that your brain almost puts Carl in there. This is due in large part to not only the mid-range stuff from Al (instead of seventeen Fosketts), but heavy, prominent bass vocals from Mike.

12. Summer's Gone - A bit more Fosketty, but Mike is clearly in there in the mix in addition to Brian. Al and Bruce less discernible.

But yeah, I can buy the four are singing somewhere on all of these songs. It's too bad they couldn't have had Matt Jardine in, as that would have cut the Foskett voice concentration a bit. Foskett's voice cuts through too much, especially in the mid-range stuff. Matt could have helped round that sound out.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 08:15:59 AM »

Wow Hey Jude, what an analysis! Thanks! Smiley

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 09:46:15 AM »

thanks as well. what a great album that would have been with NO Jeff at all. . . . .
KDS
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 10:40:58 AM »

HJ,

Hit the nail on the head about the vocal intro to PCH.  It might be the most goosebump inducing moment on the entire album. 
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 12:24:55 PM »

Dave told me that he is indeed singing on the single, "That's Why God Made The Radio," doing the descending lower part "that's why god made..."  - the part that sounds like Mike and somebody else, so that makes sense to me.  Make of that what you will.  He also told me that he was indeed in the live audio mix for the tour vocally.

From working with him in the studio and editing his vocals close up, he's actually a superb bass singer with excellent pitch in that register.  It was amusing and interesting to me that even as a sort of "non-singer", rather like Dennis, you could still tell he'd been a Beach Boy because of how pitch-focused he was.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:26:22 PM by adamghost » Logged
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 06:19:15 AM »

Thanks for the thoughtful replies, guys!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 10:22:27 AM »

Early in the song, that part has Jeff way up high, but later in the outro it's just Mike and, we now know , Dave. I wonder if Mike and Dave are also doing the part passim and not just in the outro.

Thanks Adam; you do so much to honor Dave and the BB music. Going to put your album and then Radio on right now while I work--just on g.p.

The Professor

quote author=adamghost link=topic=24208.msg585470#msg585470 date=1470425095]

Dave told me that he is indeed singing on the single, "That's Why God Made The Radio," doing the descending lower part "that's why god made..."  - the part that sounds like Mike and somebody else, so that makes sense to me.  Make of that what you will.  He also told me that he was indeed in the live audio mix for the tour vocally.

From working with him in the studio and editing his vocals close up, he's actually a superb bass singer with excellent pitch in that register.  It was amusing and interesting to me that even as a sort of "non-singer", rather like Dennis, you could still tell he'd been a Beach Boy because of how pitch-focused he was.
[/quote]
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 11:03:31 AM »

Thanks for the interesting info, Adam. When Dave said "singing on the single", does that mean only on the IIT single version, or the album version too?
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 09:48:19 PM »

Thanks for the interesting info, Adam. When Dave said "singing on the single", does that mean only on the IIT single version, or the album version too?

That was a distinction I made, so as to say "I can't say for certain that he's on the rest of the album, but he told me specifically he's on that song doing that part, and my ears do tend to corroborate that."  So I would assume if true he'd be on the album version as well.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 03:53:47 AM »

He said the TWGMTR single...not the IIT single.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 04:08:57 AM »

Good thread! 

As explained well by others above (especially Hey Jude), Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and Jeff are audible on all songs, to varying degrees.  I've also heard the part about Dave being on the title track, and it does seem audible if you pay attention to it.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 04:41:57 AM »

Slightly OT but just looking at the Wiki page for 'Radio' and found this comment I had not read before.  Another Brian zinger.  Grin

Co writer Jim Peterik.

[Brian and I] were at an Italian restaurant and we were talking about radio and how great songs used to sound through the AM radio coming through your oval speaker on your Plymouth Valiant and I said, "Man, that was the best sound of all," and Brian said, "Yeah, that's why God made the radio." Of course, I wrote that down. He didn't realize how brilliant it was, or maybe he did, but that's when we wrote that song.

Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 06:33:38 AM »

I hadn't heard that story about the title before - that is really great. The funny thing is that without knowing it *was* Brian, I always thought it sounded like a Brianism anyway...!
He comes out with these little gems occasionally... a bit like Ringo back in the day with 'A Hard Day's Night' and 'Tomorrow Never Knows'.

It just seemed like the kind of thing BW might say (and it seems he did!) loving that era of mono AM radio as he did and does... Remember that some of his greatest experiences were in cars (musical ones, I mean... calm down at the back there)... hearing the Beach Boys on the radio for the first time... hearing Be My Baby for the first time with Marillyn and having to stop the car because he thought it was so great... and, later (not such a pleasant experience) hearing Strawberry Fields with Michael Vosse and knowing SMiLE had 'missed the boat'.

Awesome, anyway, that this little Brian comment ended up being the name of the comeback single (and the whole album!).
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 06:52:05 AM »

The full interview.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-ragogna/shades-of-blue-tiger-eyes_b_5859226.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment

In part.

MR: By the way, what is your Brian Wilson story?

JP: Brian Wilson could be our last one because, you talk about dreams come true, to me when we were growing up it was the Beatles and the Beach Boys and they were at a par. That’s how much we liked the Beach Boys. In ‘99 when I got the chance to write with Brian for his Imagination album of course I jumped at it. We wrote two really nice songs, “Your Imagination” and “Dream Angel.” I appeared on Letterman with him and it was just a thrill. I was given the offer to tour with them and I took a pass because my own songs are still more important than anyone else’s. I couldn’t see doing “Fun, Fun, Fun” across the country every night. It’s not in my mission statement. A little bit later we were at an Italian restaurant and we were talking about radio and how great songs used to sound through the AM radio coming through your oval speaker on your Plymouth Valiant and I said, “Man, that was the best sound of all,” and Brian said, “Yeah, that’s why God made the radio.” Of course, I wrote that down. He didn’t realize how brilliant it was, or maybe he did, but that’s when we wrote that song and it became the title of their Beach Boys comeback album in 2012, and the second song called “Isn’t It Time?”

I’ve heard a lot of stories about a lot of people—David Pack of Ambrosia was going down the highway and heard, “That’s Why God Made The Radio” and had to stop and pull over. That was one of these moments, it’s the last story in my book, where they’re performing it at the Chicago theater and I’m with my son Colin, his wife, and my wife Karen and they come on and do “That’s Why God Made The Radio” and it sounded like a million bucks. There must have been fifteen people on stage, like they do, and it sounded like the bells of heaven and Colin turns to me and says, “Dad, that’s got to be a pretty cool moment for you, right?” and I go, “Yeah, it really is.” That’s how the book ends. That was a high point. Now Brian’s putting a solo album out on Capitol, it’s coming out in January I believe, it’s called No Pier Pressure and I wrote a song for it called “Sail Away.” Again it was myself, Brian Wilson, Joe Thomas the producer and Larry Millas of the Ides. It’s kind of like “Sloop John B” in the nautical field, so it’s continuing. I still pinch myself with the Brian Wilson thing.

MR: And it’s a full circle, because Brian was one of your influences and now you get to have some participation in his life in a significant way.

JP: That’s exactly the feeling. It’s surreal.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx