gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:07:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BBC2 Classic Albums Pet Sounds  (Read 8305 times)
Pearlfisher David
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2016, 01:06:20 PM »

Apologies if this has been posted already  Smiley

New BBC2 doc on Pet Sounds. Some fabulous BW moments, lovely appearances from all surviving BBs, Tony Asher and other important players. Thankfully the music is centre stage…

Sorry to those who can't view outside the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07ljcxf/classic-albums-the-beach-boys-pet-sounds
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 04:18:47 PM »

I enjoyed this one too!  Just a shame they had to squeeze it in to an hour.  I would have loved to hear more of the interviews/performances from Brian demonstrating things on the piano.  Al also had his guitar but we didn't see him use it!

It was still good to see new interviews and Brian looked relaxed.  I've often wondered why he didn't use the alternate ending to God Only Knows and thought Mark was going to ask him.  It would have been the perfect opportunity.  Grin
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 04:51:50 PM »

I enjoyed this one too!  Just a shame they had to squeeze it in to an hour.  I would have loved to hear more of the interviews/performances from Brian demonstrating things on the piano.  Al also had his guitar but we didn't see him use it!

It was still good to see new interviews and Brian looked relaxed.  I've often wondered why he didn't use the alternate ending to God Only Knows and thought Mark was going to ask him.  It would have been the perfect opportunity.  Grin

I did ask him, but he said he didn't remember which is not surprising since it was over 50 years ago. Seems like God Only Knows turned out ok without it, and remember  there are other parts in the released version that are no longer on the multitrack so using that bg part would have altered a lot more in the vamp.

Mark
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 06:23:01 PM »

Any chance this will get released on DVD like the other classic albums Series DVDs? Or maybe someone can rip it to YouTube.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 10:25:29 PM »

it was on youtube, and then it got pulled down  Sad
but! if you look around, it is out there for free as a torrent  Shocked
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 04:51:42 AM »

I did ask him, but he said he didn't remember which is not surprising since it was over 50 years ago. Seems like God Only Knows turned out ok without it, and remember  there are other parts in the released version that are no longer on the multitrack so using that bg part would have altered a lot more in the vamp.

Mark

Thank you for the reply Mark and for clearing that up!  Brian looks very relaxed beside you.  Obviously years of trust has been built up there.  As I watched it reminded me of some of the studio scenes in Love and Mercy when you were sitting there as 'Chuck' with Dano's 'Brian'? 

I also loved the bits where you isolated some of the individual vocal tracks.  It would be great to have those multi's released sometime in the future.  Maybe for the 60th!

Thank you for all your work over the years and for the latest box set.  It sounds fantastic. Smiley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 06:31:48 AM »

Hopefully someone will throw this up on YouTube before too long. It looks like the BBC offers some sort of download manager for their iPlayer, so it hopefully wouldn't be too difficult for someone in the UK to get this up on YouTube.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 08:39:44 AM »

So is this actually in the "Classic Albums" documentary series done by Eagle Vision?

I'm unclear if this is an actual BBC production, or if it's an Eagle Vision production simply aired on the BBC.

If it's part of the Eagle Vision series, then it will most likely end up on DVD (and hopefully Blu-ray) at some point worldwide.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 08:54:25 AM »

I enjoyed this a lot.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 09:03:31 AM »

it was on youtube, and then it got pulled down  Sad
but! if you look around, it is out there for free as a torrent  Shocked

I don't do the torrent thing for a bunch of reasons, but hopefully it will reappear on YouTube again and for long enough. BBC does yank stuff down pretty fast; I managed to catch their Glastonbury ELO show a little while back on YouTube before it was pulled.

But once again BRI and Capitol/UME show how ham-fisted their promotional machine (or lack of one) is. Agree to participate in a documentary on PS, but don't air it until well after the big CD boxed set comes out (and certainly don't do the simple thing and cut a deal to put the documentary in the box!), and only make it viewable in the UK. Great job people....
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 09:04:07 AM by HeyJude » Logged

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 09:05:06 AM »

So is this actually in the "Classic Albums" documentary series done by Eagle Vision?

I'm unclear if this is an actual BBC production, or if it's an Eagle Vision production simply aired on the BBC.

If it's part of the Eagle Vision series, then it will most likely end up on DVD (and hopefully Blu-ray) at some point worldwide.

It is part of the Eagle Vision series.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 09:07:28 AM »

It is part of the Eagle Vision series.

Thanks; that makes more sense and that tells me we'll see this on home video sooner or later (hopefully before the end of the year), and hopefully with extra footage as the Eagle Vision "Classic Albums" series often does.

Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 11:17:23 AM »

That bit Brian plays of Murry's "His Little Darling And You" sounds a lot like Brian's own "Just Like Me And You".
Pearlfisher David
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 12:45:56 PM »

you're right Cristian! the melody is identical  Cheesy
Half Moon Bay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 05:21:56 AM »

Lovely documentary by Eagle vision/BBC. Just finished watching for the second time,  Brian looks very relaxed with some nice viewpoints from Bruce, Al and Mike. Definitely worth buying on DVD when/if it comes out, hopefully with some extras.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 06:33:27 AM »

That bit Brian plays of Murry's "His Little Darling And You" sounds a lot like Brian's own "Just Like Me And You".

you're right Cristian! the melody is identical  Cheesy

Some additional insight:  http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22663.0.html

Edit:  Great documentary by the way!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:33:58 AM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 07:46:13 AM »

Some additional insight:  http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22663.0.html

Great thread, thanks for bringing it up Smiley

Another thing about the documentary, at one point Bruce mentions that "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" features all six Beach Boys singing. I'd always thought it was just Brian doing all the parts, so that's interesting.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 08:48:03 AM »

Another thing about the documentary, at one point Bruce mentions that "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" features all six Beach Boys singing. I'd always thought it was just Brian doing all the parts, so that's interesting.

Dennis is audible on the verses and recorded a lead vocal for it.  Only parts of it remain on the final mix.
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 09:22:33 AM »

Dennis is audible on the verses and recorded a lead vocal for it.  Only parts of it remain on the final mix.

Found this radio interview where Bruce mentions it again (at 14:32), referring to the Spanish section in IJWMFTT. Al, however, doesn't even remember the part Tongue

https://youtu.be/QaFsqQqvwuo?t=872
Pearlfisher David
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 03:29:36 PM »

thanks for that thread link GoodVibrations33. I actually remember seeing that now! Whatever the germ of its genesis Just Like Me and You is an outstanding late period BW quirky gem. Shades of Love You, Being With The One You Love and bits of the Sweet Insanity music. Those TLOS extras are fabulous.

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2016, 01:08:41 AM »

Got this recorded---must watch it soon.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2016, 03:03:10 AM »

Those living in Belgium and the Netherlands (and maybe Germany and France) can watch it on Canvas (one of the Belgian TV channels) tomorrow night (Sunday 31/7) at 20.55 CET...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 06:02:26 AM »

Love this series, so glad they finally did Pet Sounds. Was pleasantly surprised at how good it was and actually showing things other docs hadn't. Can we just get all that Smile studio footage released? Pretty please??

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 08:03:30 AM »

Finally got round to watching BBC2's "Classic Albums-Pet Sounds" last night. Brilliant stuff all round I have to say. Funny how Al doesn't hold anything against Brian for not inviting him to the SLB session in '66. lol
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 07:06:55 AM »

Would love to watch this, but I can't find a torrent and the HOLA VPN thing doesn't work for the BBC anymore : (
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx