gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:19:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and TM  (Read 2104 times)
WickedWaters
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2016, 08:21:02 AM »

I am wondering if Mike, and Al, too, for that matter, are still active practitioners of TM. Or if that was a passing fad in their lives. I'm also curious if anyone knows if they got into yoga, which is closely related to TM.
KDS
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 08:35:19 AM »

I am wondering if Mike, and Al, too, for that matter, are still active practitioners of TM. Or if that was a passing fad in their lives. I'm also curious if anyone knows if they got into yoga, which is closely related to TM.

I think Mike still follows TM.   I'm pretty sure he mentioned that when he introduced All This is That at a show I attended this past winter.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 12:37:22 PM »

I think both practice it, but Mike is very public about it and Al not so much.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 01:03:52 PM »

I bet Brian stills practices TM but talks about it even less than Al, he was a devotee more than a year before any of the other Boys.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 01:08:16 PM »

I bet Brian stills practices TM but talks about it even less than Al, he was a devotee more than a year before any of the other Boys.
I would be surprised if Brian has done TM since sometime in the 70's. Certainly never hear him talk about it. It would be interesting if someone would chronicle the spiritual journeys of the Beach Boys. For the most part, they were very quiet about it, except for Mike. Carl must have practiced some sort of meditation or something, to keep as calm as he appeared to be all those years.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 05:11:05 PM »

I would be surprised if Brian has done TM since sometime in the 70's. Certainly never hear him talk about it. It would be interesting if someone would chronicle the spiritual journeys of the Beach Boys. For the most part, they were very quiet about it, except for Mike. Carl must have practiced some sort of meditation or something, to keep as calm as he appeared to be all those years.

Yet for the volumes of blabbering he spews about TM, it readily appears that it has been a dismal failure for myKe luHv. Chemicals that help control the brain would have been far better for the clownster, like maybe Lexepro or something along that line. And he wouldn't have to give up the "lifestyle".  Wink

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 06:53:12 PM »

I remember hearing a Brian interview in which he was pretty animated and extroverted, and he said something along the lines of "I tried everything!  I tried meditation, sure.  I meditated my ass off and it didn't work."  Looooove candid Brian.

Those answers can always change though.  People pick up and put down wellness exercises often throughout their lives.  Like playing center field, TM, healthy eating, jogging, and walking around the park every day. 
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 10:43:13 PM »

I think in the SMiLE documentary he mentioned meditating before the 2004 London show.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 11:02:09 PM »

I believe i seen a inverveiw from somewhere in the 2000s and Brian said he practiced into the later 70s but he is too busy to do it anymore. Mike Love still does it twice a day for 20 minutes.
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 08:27:20 AM »

Mike mentions he meditates in virtually every interview he gives.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 10:21:30 AM »

A few random things:

If Brian (or anyone) refers to having meditated or meditating, it doesn't necessarily mean it's "TM."

Al doesn't go on about TM in every interview like Mike does, but he has done some public events and whatnot, like his Rubin Museum gig in early 2014 which was a benefit for David Lynch's foundation which supports TM. I believe Al even performed both "TM Song" and "Transcendental Meditation" at that gig.

For those interested in the dichotomy between Mike practicing TM and his general demeanor these days (e.g. being disgruntled, bitter, etc.), the Rolling Stone piece from a few months back very interestingly went into this. The interviewer directly asked Mike why, if he meditates every day, does he still seem to harbor such negative feelings and get so worked up about stuff. Mike's answer is quite interesting, and I appreciate both that the interviewer asked those questions and that Mike actually, to some degree, answered them.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 11:39:50 AM »

Carl was initiated into TM, but switched to another meditation practice.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 08:02:21 PM »

For what it;s worth, TM isn't like an all consuming religious thing (though I know Mike has spouted like it was at times).  It's just a very simple meditation technique and a little course to help with the discipline, at least generally speaking.  I've utilized it for over 40 years now.  Not "cosmically conscious" yet though. 

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 10:35:27 PM »

Mike could be a lot worse if he wasn't meditating every day. Food for thought.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx