gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:28:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunflower is in mono and stereo, according to the Goldmine Album Guide (???)  (Read 1349 times)
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2016, 08:35:53 PM »

I just bought the 2015 edition of the Goldmine Record Album Price Guide, and noticed it has an extra sound designation for albums. As in other Goldmine price guides, S is stereo, M is mono, R is fake stereo and P is partially stereo and apparently B is an album in both stereo and mono, but one that is designated as stereo. In this book, Sunflower has a B designation, and it's referring to the U.S. album, not the UK with the fake stereo Cottonfields. And the liner notes of Sunflower emphasize that the album is in true stereo sound (thanks, Steve Desper!). Wonder where the author got the idea Sunflower is partially mono.
And BTW, the That's Why God Made the Radio LP also has a B designation. Roll Eyes
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 08:23:29 AM »

I just bought the 2015 edition of the Goldmine Record Album Price Guide, and noticed it has an extra sound designation for albums. As in other Goldmine price guides, S is stereo, M is mono, R is fake stereo and P is partially stereo and apparently B is an album in both stereo and mono, but one that is designated as stereo. In this book, Sunflower has a B designation, and it's referring to the U.S. album, not the UK with the fake stereo Cottonfields. And the liner notes of Sunflower emphasize that the album is in true stereo sound (thanks, Steve Desper!). Wonder where the author got the idea Sunflower is partially mono.
And BTW, the That's Why God Made the Radio LP also has a B designation. Roll Eyes

COMMENT TO Joel Goldenberb:  SF was never mixed in mono. Any mono would be a fold-down from stereo.
The best listening experience for Sunflower (and many other Beach Boy releases) is to visit the website listed below and push the button for the First Part of my book Recording The Beach Boys. It's all there.
~swd
http://swdstudyvideos.com
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 12:14:31 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, the British issue of Sunflower contained the mono single mix of Cottonfields.  Perhaps this is why it's listed as partial mono?
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 08:19:08 AM »

COMMENT TO Joel Goldenberb:  SF was never mixed in mono. Any mono would be a fold-down from stereo.
The best listening experience for Sunflower (and many other Beach Boy releases) is to visit the website listed below and push the button for the First Part of my book Recording The Beach Boys. It's all there.
~swd
http://swdstudyvideos.com

Oh yes, I know. I wonder if the Goldmine writer had one ear blocked while listening to the LP.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 08:19:58 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, the British issue of Sunflower contained the mono single mix of Cottonfields.  Perhaps this is why it's listed as partial mono?
No, the Goldmine price guide only lists U.S. LPs.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx