gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:23:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 25/07: Pet Sounds 50 - Tribute to the Beach Boys at The Concertgebouw, Amsterdam  (Read 2086 times)
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2016, 02:21:58 AM »

https://www.concertgebouw.nl/concerten/pet-sounds-tribute-to-the-beach-boys/25-07-2016

Hi all! This coming Monday there'll be a big Beach Boys tribute concert at the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. It's a historic venue where the Beach Boys themselves have even performed some times in the late 60s, early 70s. The backingband will consist of drums, bass, keys, guitars, strings, French horn, saxophone, percussion, flute and five backing singers and a collection of Dutch singers who are known to be serious about their love of the Beach Boys will handle the leadvocals.

It's been a honour for me to help form the band, pick the singers and curate the setlist and I'll be handling lots of guitars, keys, backing vocals and leadvocals myself as well.
There'll be an integral performance of Pet Sounds preceeded by a collection of Nuggets ranging from All I Wanna Do to Girl Don't Tell Me to Long Promised Road to Still I Dream Of It to Lonely Sea to And Your Dreams Come True to Wonderful. If anyone's in the area and didn't know about it, please drop by!

Greetings,

Yorick
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 02:26:52 AM »

Sounds good! Never visited the Concertgebouw. Curious About the band and performers. I'll check out the link. Great achievement by the way, Yorick!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 02:40:19 AM »

Been to the Concertgebouw often. I even saw John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra there back in 1975. Had flashbacks of it for days thanks to the cloud of marijuana smoke drifting my way from the pipe directly behind me. Best of luck on Monday, Yorick. (Alas, I have another engagement that evening.)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 05:49:09 AM »

Yorick, was this a similar concert in May or a rehearsal for Monday's?

I see the great Leo Blokhuis is presenting it. For non-Dutch speakers, he's the man briefly
wearing a colander in this promo for a forthcoming documentary about electronic pop... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXOpaEKYcdA

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
GoinBald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 05:41:20 AM »

Last minute decision, got probably last ticket as well. There were some outstanding performances by Jett Rebel but he has a great voice and he did a great Still I Dream Of It and of course Wouldn't It Be Nice was his song. Also the girls who call themselves Clean Pete were more than great. They did a great Surfer Moon, with violins, and their You Still Believe In Me, sung in Dutch, was the highlight of the evening. They made use of the big Concertgebouw organ in the second half of the song. That made a great impression. Also, as an encore, a pitch perfect And Your Dreams Come True. Sadly, no recording was made of the concert.

Well If Brian doesn't come to Holland to do his Pet Sounds 50 concert, at least we made our own party. Thanks Yorick.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 03:45:58 AM »

Last minute decision, got probably last ticket as well. There were some outstanding performances by Jett Rebel but he has a great voice and he did a great Still I Dream Of It and of course Wouldn't It Be Nice was his song. Also the girls who call themselves Clean Pete were more than great. They did a great Surfer Moon, with violins, and their You Still Believe In Me, sung in Dutch, was the highlight of the evening. They made use of the big Concertgebouw organ in the second half of the song. That made a great impression. Also, as an encore, a pitch perfect And Your Dreams Come True. Sadly, no recording was made of the concert.

Well If Brian doesn't come to Holland to do his Pet Sounds 50 concert, at least we made our own party. Thanks Yorick.

Thank you so much for coming and for your kind words! I thoroughly enjoyed the evening, it's quite a thrill bringing this amazing music in a sold out Concertgebouw! There is a soundboard recording of the concert and someone kindly uploaded the complete Pet Sounds on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04CXLweXDFI

We might do a couple more shows throughout the Netherlands next year!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 04:09:19 AM »

why is the dude singing 'wouldn't it be nice' wearing a woman's purse? 
not a good look.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 04:51:34 AM »

why is the dude singing 'wouldn't it be nice' wearing a woman's purse? 
not a good look.

That's Jett Rebel. Perhaps this will explain a few things about him:

http://definingcreativity.com/creative-madness/

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 05:00:13 AM »

Thankyou John K, what a great article and oh so true.
it makes more sense to me now in the context. 
I had not heard of him before.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx