gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 05:21:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you ever get sick of The Beach Boys?  (Read 5762 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2016, 09:03:27 PM »

Obviously, this board draws only die-hard fans, for the most part, but do you ever get sick of listening to The Beach Boys?

I know I don't...
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 04:17:44 AM »

I can get sick of much music. Never of the Boys. Smiley

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
KDS
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 05:05:23 AM »

They're one of the few bands I never seen to tire of. 

Even stuff like Surfin Sufari and Fun Fun Fun never seems to get old. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 05:12:52 AM »

Never!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 05:17:39 AM »

No, of course not. They have so many styles of music that they never get stale. Quite the opposite, actually. Their material is comfortingly nostalgic and familiar. Their harmonies are soothing and therapeutic. I think most of us here start chomping at the bit to hear MORE Beach Boys material.

Thanks to alternate mixes, instrument only, vocal only and some amazing material where Stephen Desper offers a fresh listening experience for us on his site, I never get sick of the Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 03:52:22 AM by Rick5150 » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 09:03:28 AM »

No, of course not. They have so many styles of music that they never get stale. Quite the opposite, actually. Their material is comfortingly nostalgic and familiar. Their harmonies are soothing and therapeutic. I think most of us here start chomping at the bit to hear MORE Beach Boys material.

This! One day I might be into oldies, another day Smile, another day Smiley Smile/Wild Honey/Friends era, etc. Most recently I have been listening to the Wilson Andy Payley songs of the 90s.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 09:32:37 AM »

The only time I ever get sick of the Beach Boys is when I see a picture of "Old man Bruce in his short shorts".
Old people wearing shorts scare me.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 12:00:52 PM »

Hope your cut-off date for old men wearing shorts (or cut-offs) is more than 66.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 12:05:03 PM »

Yes, I get sick of the BB's.  Simply have listened to them too much over the course of my life.  Over-saturation.  Still interested in reading about them, but seldom listen to them anymore, though I do listen to POB and the last Brian album occasionally.  I plan to abstain from listening until I miss hearing them.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 01:44:59 PM »

Posted this on "my" other board a while back. One or two of the comments offer some food for thought:

http://beachboysforum.freeforums.org/bb-overkill-can-it-happen-t167.html

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »

Dumb question

Frank answer

HELL NO!

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 02:25:14 AM »

Dumb question

I disagree. Nothing dumb about it at all. Check out the second entry in the topic I linked.

My idea of a dumb question is "What if the Beach Boys were horses?" This has actually been asked on this board!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 06:06:51 AM »

Admittedly I have to take a break once in awhile and listen to other artists since I binge on the Beach Boys at times.

But I mainly listen to the Brian Era stuff and not so much the early surf/car stuff and nothing after Love You.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 08:42:15 AM »

Answer to question is no but I listen to other bands & singers. I usually get bored with depressing sad music - I am fan of joyful music which is BBs. 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Half Moon Bay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 09:38:36 AM »

Never! But there are times when I suddenly realise I haven't played any Beach boys for a few days and I immediately have to put that right.....  My life is not complete without the Boys  Brian, Dennis, & Carl!
barto
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 10:22:27 AM »

I can always listen to brian songs. its pretty crazy. Theres no other artist i feel that way about...i could listen to any of brian's compositions (maybe except for some later solo stuff) and it will improve my state of being no matter what is going on
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 10:44:06 AM »

NOT a chance.  There's always something to discover when listening to the collective and [most of the]  solo lps.  I never get sick of listening to Bob Marley either.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2016, 03:57:29 PM »

I can go for somewhat long periods when I don't feel like listening to them (frankly, that's true for most music I listen to), but I wouldn't say I've gotten "sick" of them when I do that.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2016, 07:38:11 PM »

I don't get sick of them but I listen to other stuff because there is so much other good stuff I have missed over the decades listening to Beach Boys much of the time.   Also, I am a guitar player.    I find much of the BB catalogue too challenging for solo guitar or just not complete without the vocals and musical embellishments.  so I listen to more basic music much of the time to grow my guitar skills and expand my musical palate.    also, the people I play with seem to have no interest in playing the sort of music the Beach Boys play.    Fact  is, few groups of old guy garage bands are capable of performing Beach Boys material beyond the old 145 progression songs of the early 60's.     Having said that, when's I tire of jamming with the old dudes on garage band tracks, and listening to those tracks to learn them, I go back to the beach boys.    that harmony is like a drug that always delivers.   That music is an entity that rises above all other music .    That harmonic wistful lonely sound they produced is always a comfort and joy.     And nothing the behavior of .individual members or their managers or spouses can change.   It is already on the record.   and always there waiting when I want it
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2016, 08:56:44 PM »

I'm obsessed with a lot of different bands, and I tend to go through stages.  I stop listening to the BB's for a while, and then I start again.  So I can't really say I get sick of them, but there are some periods of time when I listen to several of their albums in a day for weeks or months on end, and then sometimes I don't listen to them at all for months on end. 
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 01:01:14 AM »

the good thing about the beach boys (and related solo records) is there is such a huge volume of work. You can always put on an album you havent heard in a while and hear something that sounds fresh, imho
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 02:19:39 AM »

the good thing about the beach boys (and related solo records) is there is such a huge volume of work. You can always put on an album you havent heard in a while and hear something that sounds fresh, imho
Agreed. This is why the Boys would be the perfect choice if your listening behaviour were (in some 1984-style scenario) to be restricted to one act. There is so much variety and so much to be (re)discovered!

With all due respect, I think the main problem with this topic is the word "sick". Burned out, tired, overkill... something like that might have been more appropriate.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 07:37:59 AM »

Dumb question

Frank answer

HELL NO!

Yes, but - Hell Never! or Nevaah!  LOL   

Brian, Dennis, & Carl
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 08:32:24 AM »

I don't listen to them every day.   I go through phases where I'll zone in on one particular artist or band for a while and listen to them primarily.  I don't like limiting my tastes exclusively to just one group.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2016, 07:20:23 PM »

Hasn't happened yet. I've been a fan since I was 3 or 4. I'm 42 now.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx