gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:32:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Albums where the two sides differ  (Read 6018 times)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2016, 04:33:39 AM »

Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home (first side electric, second side acoustic)
Beach Boys - Today (first side rockers, second side ballads)
Sam Cooke - Ain't That Good News (first side up-beat, second side orchestrated ballads)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 04:43:07 AM »

Great idea for a topic, Ovi.

Well, there's Love's second album Da Capo. Five fantastic songs on side one (their finest hour in my opinion, despite Forever Changes) and an interminable jam on side two!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 04:45:09 AM »

Well, there's Love's second album Da Capo. Five fantastic songs on side one (their finest hour in my opinion, despite Forever Changes) and an interminable jam on side two!

Incredible songs on side 1 indeed, though I like some parts of Revelation as well.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 05:49:34 AM »

Incredible songs on side 1 indeed, though I like some parts of Revelation as well.
Agreed, some parts are fine but not enough for me to want to listen to the whole thing!

How about this one from 1980 by Robert Fripp? Side A and Side One indeed! LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Save_the_Queen/Under_Heavy_Manners 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXMxcZyyKWo 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 10:22:12 AM »

There must be many LPs with unconnected songs on one side and a suite on the other. Two examples that immediately come to mind are Five Bridges by The Nice and Lizard by King Crimson... 

KDS
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 10:24:43 AM »

There must be many LPs with unconnected songs on one side and a suite on the other. Two examples that immediately come to mind are Five Bridges by The Nice and Lizard by King Crimson... 

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother & Meddle

Rush - 2112

-Especially this one because the first side is a 20 plus minute mini rock opera while the second side is made up of unrelated songs. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 11:59:18 AM »

Elvis Presley - Something for everybody  
First side ballads, second side rockers

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 09:55:43 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 02:13:39 PM »

Listening to Meddle now (I've had it on my list for a day or two). I'd forgotten that it has a lot more besides "Echoes". What a great album.

KDS
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 06:54:40 PM »

Listening to Meddle now (I've had it on my list for a day or two). I'd forgotten that it has a lot more besides "Echoes". What a great album.

Meddle was really the first album to feature the classic Floyd sound. 
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 10:40:48 AM »

Todd Rundgren- Faithful     One side is all cover versions (including his Top 40 cover of 'Good Vibrations') and the other side is all originals.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 11:42:29 AM »

Not the whole side but I would say LA album. Side two starts with a 10 minute disco song...huh?

Of course we all know the history, but tying into the Cars thread, disco was dead and New Wave was where it was at so the Beach Boys put out a disco song, 2-3 years too late. They really did continue to blow it.
KDS
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 11:46:33 AM »

Not the whole side but I would say LA album. Side two starts with a 10 minute disco song...huh?

Of course we all know the history, but tying into the Cars thread, disco was dead and New Wave was where it was at so the Beach Boys put out a disco song, 2-3 years too late. They really did continue to blow it.

One of my problems with that song has always been that it sounds nothing like The Beach Boys.  KISS, Pink Floyd, and the Stones put out disco influenced songs in the late 70s, but they still sounded like themselves. 

Back on topic, Genesis's Foxtrot comes to mind.  The 2nd side includes the brief Steve Hackett instrumental Horizons, then the 22 minute epic Supper's Ready. 
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 03:11:46 AM »

Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 04:25:48 AM »

Canned Heat take it to another level with Living the Blues. Side one is a collection of great songs, which spills briefly onto side two for "One Kind Favour" before the sprawling kaleidoscopic "Parthenogenesis" takes over. So far so good, but then they add an extra LP of a live 40-minute jam, "Refried Boogie", side two of which is utterly redundant (read: a mess). Pity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_the_Blues

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 06:51:51 AM »

Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends

Oh yes, this one came to mind. Side one is a suite and side two is a collection of their (then) recent singles. Great album.

Probably following Dylan, Neil Young divides RUST NEVER SLEEPS into acoustic/electric sides, except side one is acoustic in this case.

Side 1 of Chuck Berry's ST LOUIS TO LIVERPOOL is packed with hits ("No Particular Place to Go", "You Never Can Tell", "Promised Land") while side two consists of more obscure genre exercises w/ some filler. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 07:40:16 AM »

I'd say Kate Bush's Hounds of Love falls into this category. As I see it, side one contains five songs (collectively entitled "Hounds of Love") and side two a themed suite, "The Ninth Wave".

More full-side album tracks are "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" (Iron Butterfly), "Get Ready" (Rare Earth) and "Billy The Mountain" (Mothers of Invention)...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 10:32:52 AM by john k » Logged

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 11:08:48 PM »

"Evening Star", by Robert Fripp and Brian Eno. Heavenly music on Side 1, unlistenable garbage on Side 2.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 02:42:05 AM »

"Evening Star", by Robert Fripp and Brian Eno. Heavenly music on Side 1, unlistenable garbage on Side 2.

I have to disagree! The first side is certainly heavenly, particularly the opening track with wave after wave of huge assembled chords----fantastic!

Side two is altogether grimmer, like a post-nuclear landscape. It reminds me in some ways of Edgard Varèse's Déserts which, according to its composer, is about "not only physical deserts of sand, sea, mountains, and snow, outer space, deserted city streets... but also distant inner space... where man is alone in a world of mystery and essential solitude." It also brings to mind that book by Alan Weisman, A World Without Us, where mankind has vanished (for whatever reason) and all things natural and manmade are left to develop or decay... 

You may gather from the above that I love "An Index Of Metals". :=) 

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 06:35:51 AM »

Going on a tangent here, but it's a pity that Jeff Beck never made an album with Eno. Imho he's the only guitarist who can out-Fripp Fripp if he decides to play that style. He showed that especially when he played for Roger Waters. And he'd never consented to "An Index of Metals", but I can hear him on "Evensong"... Smiley
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 06:44:21 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 12:38:21 PM »

The Beatles - Yellow Submarine

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 06:12:37 AM »

Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake (Small Faces)----side one has six unrelated (fantastic) tracks whereas side two tells the story of Happiness Stan, its musical episodes glued together by the narrative gobbledgook of Stanley Unwin.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 09:55:52 AM »

Elvis Presley - Something for everybody  
First side ballads, second side rockers

Another one by Presley that I totally forgot about.

Loving You
First side soundtrack of the movie, second side melancholy mid-tempo country, r'n'b and pop songs. Really good stuff (especially "Have I told you lately that I love you", "True love" with fantastic harmony singing and "I need you so" -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbXYB1bMY48 )

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 09:04:20 PM »

Queen II- Instead of side 1 and side 2, it had Side Black which was all Freddie Mercury compositions, and Side White which was four songs by Brian May and one by Roger Taylor.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 06:58:18 AM »

If this had been an extra-long LP instead of a CD, side one would have nine shortish tracks (only one exceeding
five minutes) for large musical group and side two would have been the 36-minute mantra for solo mellotron:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beginning_Stages_of...

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2016, 08:24:16 AM »

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx