gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 09:42:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cars  (Read 1372 times)
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2016, 06:52:16 AM »

I've done a search and can't find a thread about The Cars.....so....

I never paid them much attention in the hit making years but have been listening to their greatest hits a lot lately and looking back at old footage.....this band was fantastic. "Let's Go" and "Just What I Needed" are two masterpiece hit single gems on par with many of the Beach Boys greatest from their early days. As Ben Orr is long gone, I regret not having seen them live in their time. The entire band really clicked. New Wave at it's best.

One question for any fans out there....do you recommend the new remastered box set? I only have a 2 cd greatest thing from a while back and am thinking of at least getting their first two albums. Thoughts...? Thanks.
KDS
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 06:58:37 AM »

Yes, I think The Cars are one of the great pop/rock bands of all time, and belong in the RNRHOF. 

I can't really speak for their box set, but their first two studio albums are essential listening IMO. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 09:28:55 AM »

They played "Drive" during winter holidays in 2006 in some local station. Strangely, liked it, even though it's not what usually I'd listen to. From the posts below it seems this band's diverse & that song isn't what they typically did - not much a fan of atmospheric stuff.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 10:19:45 AM »

They played "Drive" during winter holidays in 2006 in some local station. Strangely, liked it, even though it's not what usually I'd listen to. From the posts below it seems this band's diverse & that song isn't what they typically did - not much a fan of atmospheric stuff.

That's one of their "later" hits. 

Check out anything from their first two albums - The Cars and Candy-O. 
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 11:48:56 AM »

Yes, I think The Cars are one of the great pop/rock bands of all time

Yes...that is what I'm realizing. Top notch band on many levels. Seem to be overlooked and kind of forgotten. The box set has all six of their albums remastered  and its under 50 bucks so that's probably the way to go.
KDS
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 12:10:29 PM »

Yes, I think The Cars are one of the great pop/rock bands of all time

Yes...that is what I'm realizing. Top notch band on many levels. Seem to be overlooked and kind of forgotten. The box set has all six of their albums remastered  and its under 50 bucks so that's probably the way to go.

It's funny how overlooked they are considering their songs are all over the place.

Moving in Stereo was featured in an iconic scene in the movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Just What I Needed was the theme song for Circuit City for a few years

There songs are all over classic rock radio.

They were among the finalists for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year. 

They did a reunion about five years ago, and put out a new album.  It was decent, but I think Ben Orr was sorely missed. 
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 09:44:19 PM »

My favorite is Panorama. I think it's way better than Candy-O.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx