gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:32:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Avalanches - Wildflower  (Read 1601 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2016, 03:42:36 AM »

This is my favourite album of the year - maybe the last few years.

The band cite Smile as an influence and I can definitely hear it. I guess I would describe it as Smile + De La Soul which is a pretty perfect combo in my book.

Chater has mentioned being inspired by the wall of sounds of Phil Spector and The Beach Boys, and the group itself has compared Wildflower to Brian Wilson’s Smile, a fitting analogy for an album that’s been so exhaustively tinkered over. Like Smile, it’s a far more abstract statement than Since I Left You’s transcontinental, 24-hour party vibe, taking that album’s occasional psychedelic smears and making them the focus, blending them with snatches of drunken revelers, morning DJs, swimming pool splashes, and criminal misdemeanors to create a blurry, hallucinatory block party of idle youth and endless summer.

It loses focus here and there but I am growing to love all of it.

http://www.avclub.com/review/avalanches-are-back-breezy-hallucinatory-wildflowe-239122

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
barto
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 09:25:08 AM »

I really like this album and the Beach boys influence is very clear!

Favorite track is 'The Noisey Eater'...the band itself calls it a modern take on Vege-Tables

Also love If I Was A Folkstar which samples Hushabye
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 02:15:00 PM »

I love (and own) Since I Left You

I am really going to have to buy this as well----thank you, guys. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 02:35:36 PM »

Favorite track is 'The Noisey Eater'...the band itself calls it a modern take on Vege-Tables

Yes, Noisy Eater is fantastic. I did not hear the Hushabye sample though! Is it the BBs version?!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
barto
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 06:44:53 PM »

Yes, Noisy Eater is fantastic. I did not hear the Hushabye sample though! Is it the BBs version?!

Yes, it's very faint. You can hear Brian's falsetto from the intro on various parts of the song
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 06:45:51 PM by d@rnomite » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 03:31:52 AM »

Yes, it's very faint. You can hear Brian's falsetto from the intro on various parts of the song

Oh cool, thanks! Can't believe I missed that. I will have another listen ...

barto
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 09:41:10 AM »

Oh cool, thanks! Can't believe I missed that. I will have another listen ...

Was trying to dig this up and finally found it again...a press release from the band's listening party explaining their influences. Here is the quote about The Noisy Eater -

https://www.reddit.com/r/theavalanches/comments/4qoryk/wildflower_press_release/

"The Noisy Eater draws direct inspiration from (unhinged-era) Brian Wilson’s ode to eating, ‘Vegetables’, which famously featured an orchestra of guests munching on food in the studio, under close direction from Brian…"
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 02:13:14 AM »

Thanks for sharing that press release - interesting to read their own take on the album and recording experience.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx