gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:52:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is your Smile Track Listing?  (Read 13861 times)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2016, 06:45:48 AM »

What is 'Swedish frog'?

That's from the "Heroes and Villains-sections" part of the SMiLE box set. Brian and co making really weird and (dare I say, orgasmic) sounds. Pretty funny.
Matt P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 02:54:51 PM »

I used the 'animal noises' part of Swedish Frog in my version of I'm In Great Shape and the 'orgasmic'(?!) part in my The Elements.
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2016, 04:18:04 PM »

Yes, I isolated from the other Heroes and Vilains sections and put it in as an additional part (just didn't know it was called Swedish frog).  I love it.
Also used the fadeout from 'Heroes and Villains: Pt. 2' after H&V.

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2016, 03:16:19 AM »

I just listened to some vintage Brian mix's, and lined up Vegetables (october '66 mix) and Old master painter (presumably November '66 mix), and was surprised how two of them work good together side by side. Listen to this VT mix with that "old cowboy piano" feel and OMP with also C&W feeling!
And let's not forget that these two were last two songs on Smile tracklist!
This Smile is really incredable, so many possible variations!
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2016, 05:43:37 AM »

« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 05:44:40 AM by PetSmile » Logged

PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2016, 05:48:08 AM »

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:41:55 PM by PetSmile » Logged

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2016, 08:47:47 AM »

I just listened to some vintage Brian mix's, and lined up Vegetables (october '66 mix) and Old master painter (presumably November '66 mix), and was surprised how two of them work good together side by side. Listen to this VT mix with that "old cowboy piano" feel and OMP with also C&W feeling!
And let's not forget that these two were last two songs on Smile tracklist!
This Smile is really incredable, so many possible variations!

Interesting, particularly given the fact that OMP/YAMS was at one point associated with H&V. The content notwithstanding, I have a feeling there was a connection between H&V and Vega-Tables that never came to fruition (no pun intended). The fact that Eat A Lot was once part of H&V reinforces this and that they ended up side-by-side on Smiley is another indication. I have separated them on my mix above but perhaps I should try positioning them closer together, along with OMP. Maybe Great Shape plays a role in this too...
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2016, 01:23:36 PM »

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
Do you dig worms?
Wonderful
Old master painter/You are my sunshine
Cabinessence

Good Vibrations
Vega-tables
Windchimes
Mrs. O'Leary's Cow
I love to say Dada
Child is the father to the man
Surf's up
zavarov
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2016, 05:37:44 PM »

(Our prayer)
Heroes & villains suite
Do you like worms?
Cabin essence

Good vibrations
On a holiday
Wind chimes
Fire
I wanna be around
Workshop/water chant
In blue hawaii
Sunshine
Vega tables

Wonderful
Look
Child is the father of the man
Surf's up
(H&V reprise/george fell/you're welcome)

https://youtu.be/nwCdeF0RzSI

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 05:39:22 PM by zavarov » Logged
zavarov
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2016, 05:45:14 PM »

I just listened to some vintage Brian mix's, and lined up Vegetables (october '66 mix) and Old master painter (presumably November '66 mix), and was surprised how two of them work good together side by side.

I have the same opinion and in a certain way...it's logic...
A vegetable borns after the water and the sunshine Smiley
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2016, 11:52:04 AM »

I'm making a new stereo mix... Side One is completed, and Side Two is still in the works, so allow me a few more weeks/months, Dig! (I have put up the tracklisting for Side Two [which is the same from my previous mix, so don't come down on me for 'rebranding', please!])

Side One- American Gothic Trip (19:48 minutes)

1. Prayer/Good Vibrations (Our Prayer, followed by Brian Fell Into A Mircophone circling around the stereo speakers, then an EQ-d 2012 Stereo Remix of GV, just to make the vocals a tad more 'authentic', y'know?)

2. Heroes and Villains (90% of the structure of this mix is based off the February 1967 edit Brian made. The verses [Ive Been In This Town] circle around your speakers in frenzy, since a proper stereo for these bits are lacking. Then it goes into Cantina, and My Children Were Raised. The final bit [Three Score and Five] pans around, then aburptly cuts to the 'Bridge to Indians', so it could connect to 'Worms.'

3. Do You Like Worms? (This is the SonicLoveNoize mixdown. Some differences include echoes after the Bicycle Rider bit, just because I felt psychedelic!)

4. I'm In Great Shape/Out In The Barnyard (GS is the Sonic mix. Barnyard is my own mix (inspired by the Sonic mix, but with one notable difference, that difference being that it doesn't fade out, and it crossfades into OMP made by combining two different backing tracks, so its not completely 'Duo-phonic', since the animals sounds makes rounds from speaker to speaker)

5. The Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine (Faded from Barnyard. The Old Master part is from the instrumental master takes, and from the You Are My Sunshine part to the end is Sonic's mix)

6. Cabin Essence (Who Ran The Iron Horse?) (Sonic's mix)

7. Wonderful (This is interesting. I used the mono mix found on Disc 1 from Smile Sessions, but it starts from one speaker, and slowly moves to the other as the song progresses. Could you imagine the entire band going around your room? Now you can!)

Side B- (God, Laughter and The Elements)

8. A Song For Children (Instrumental)

9. On a Holiday (Instrumental)

10. Wind Chimes

11. The Elements: Mrs. O' Leary's Cow (Fire) [Instrumental]

12. The Elements: Air Pollution Rant (Air)

13. The Elements: My Vega-Tables (Earth)

14. The Elements: Cool Cool Water (Water)

15. Child Is The Father of The Man

16. Surf's Up
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 11:57:04 AM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2016, 11:20:56 AM »

Mine is:

"You are Welcome" as opener (I see a lot of you guys use it at the end, it's shocking to me because after all, it's a welcome song Grin Plus it begins with a great fade-in).

Plus it is in the same key as H&V, while Prayer is not.

My personal opinion is that while Prayer is a perfect opener for an album named "Dumb Angel", it sucks as an opener for an album named "SMiLE" with that cover. It is way too majestic and minor-key.

Is there any real evidence that Surf's Up was intended to be the closing track?

I don't think so but due to its sound and its content, I'm not sure what could possibly follow it while having it sound right.

Likewise, Surf's Up is not a good closer for an album named SMiLE. Here's my 12 track listing:

A.
1. You're Welcome
2. H&V
3. Cabin Essence
4. DYLW
5. On A Holiday
6. Wonderful
7. Song For Children

B.
1. CIFOTM
2. The Elements (V-T - LTSDD - Wind Chimes - MOLC)
3. Surf's Up
4. Prayer
5. Good Vibrations

By sheer coincidence, these two sides with my own edits clock in nearly the same length, just over 22:40 min each, thuns the whole album just over 45 minutes, still shorter than "Aftermath". Another neat thing is that side A ends with the melody that is reprised in GV which ends side B.

Im toying with the idea to change side B to:

1. CIFOTM
2. Surf's Up
3. The Elements (MOLC - Wind Chimes - LTSDD - V-T)
4. Prayer
5. Good Vibrations

That would leave the 2nd movement of BWPS intact - you would just have to flip the disc in the middle of the movement.

Micha, you're a genius!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2016, 11:36:21 AM »

Thank you! Smiley Really, you think so? What is so genius in my list compared to the others' in your opinion?

BTW, my H&V mix ends with OMP/MOS/fade with MOS lyrics. The only famous SMiLE part I left out is IWBA/Workshop. Didn't fit anywhere, and suprisingly I don't miss it.

I'm very glad to see someone else putting together Worms and Cabin Essence. To me, I can't imagine that it was ever possible that they were meant to be apart.

Me too, I just heretically put CE before DYLW, as CE ends on a Cmin7 chord, and DYLW begins with its resolution F. Actually edited it right into the fade.

BTW, if you're interested, this is the version of Vega-Tables I cooked up as part of The Elements.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 12:34:29 PM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2016, 12:56:43 PM »

Thank you! Smiley Really, you think so? What is so genius in my list compared to the others' in your opinion?

BTW, my H&V mix ends with OMP/MOS/fade with MOS lyrics. The only famous SMiLE part I left out is IWBA/Workshop. Didn't fit anywhere, and suprisingly I don't miss it.

I'm very glad to see someone else putting together Worms and Cabin Essence. To me, I can't imagine that it was ever possible that they were meant to be apart.

Me too, I just heretically put CE before DYLW, as CE ends on a Cmin7 chord, and DYLW begins with its resolution F. Actually edited it right into the fade.

BTW, if you're interested, this is the version of Vega-Tables I cooked up as part of The Elements.

The fact you used You're Welcome as an opener to HV, and used to Prayer to connect SU and GV is quite commendable.
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2016, 01:18:41 AM »

So, this is my first attempt to come out of the closet with Smile mix! Grin

Something I mixed for fun, but seems to work out out just fine!

To be honest this is just my mash up of other people mixes and ideas, so thank you Jiggy22, Old Master Painter, Judd, Memory Man, Holly Bee, Krabklaw, Jacob...can't think of anyone else involved in this mash up, but I think that's all...

At this time I don't know where to put this in my mix, maybe nowhere Huh, but it's kind of fun to put this little mash ups together Smiley

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3ncyd9cr7d8ki91/Smile+mash+up+experiments.mp3

Enjoy!

For pure fun and educational purposes only! Grin
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2016, 12:44:53 PM »

Would following Our Prayer with 'Worms' be justified? What key is end of Prayer and the beginning of Worms in?

The Cool One
Smiley Smile Associate

WOW

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2016, 03:07:47 PM »

1. Our Prayer/Youīre Welcome
2.Heroes and Villains part 1 (Verse/Cantina/My Children Were Raised/ Smiley Smile Verse 2/ My Only Sunshine Coda)
3. Banyard Suite (Iīm in a great shape/Banyard/My Only Sunshine)
4. Do You Like Worms (Verses and Mahalolulei)
5. Fire
6. Cabinnesence
7. Good Vibrations (Single version with fast bridge)
8. Look (He Gives Speeches Vocal)
9. Child Is Father of The Man
10. Vegetables (Mama Says)
11. Wind Chimes
12. Tune (Holidays/ Tune X)
13. Song (Iīm wanna be around/ Workshop/ YOuīre With Me Tonight/I Don't Know/Three Blind Mice/Teeter Totter Love/ George Fells/  Whistling Bridge)
14. Heroes and Villains part 2 (Begins with Bycicle Rider and contains all parts not mentioned above)
15.Wonderful
16. Cool Cool Water
17. Dad song
18. Surf Up (As hidden track includes swedish frogs)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2016, 04:43:27 PM »

Would following Our Prayer with 'Worms' be justified? What key is end of Prayer and the beginning of Worms in?

If you put a few seconds of silence in between I don't think it matters. That's the sequence I use too. And after DYLW I put H&V.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2016, 05:59:37 AM »

It's always justified if you personally like it. 

BTW Our Prayer ends in A#, which is the resolve (the second chord) of Do You Like Worms. 

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2016, 11:41:32 AM »

Sonic, I just read your explanation for your 1967 Smile mix. It's pure gold, makes so PERFECT sense! You must be the Sherlock Holmes of Smile fans, and no irony. Looking forward to listen to the result, it may be the nearest thing to a completed 1967 Smile we can have. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 11:42:16 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2016, 12:43:03 PM »

Sonic, I just read your explanation for your 1967 Smile mix. It's pure gold, makes so PERFECT sense! You must be the Sherlock Holmes of Smile fans, and no irony. Looking forward to listen to the result, it may be the nearest thing to a completed 1967 Smile we can have. Smiley
Oh thanks!

The only changes I would have made since then is a three-minute edit of Child is Father of The Man, much like Brian's test edits; and an Elements that used the different takes of Dada spliced together with the three elemental Psychedelic Sounds chants in the breaks of each (instead of just solely 'water' chants). 

Not sure if I'll ever revise my posted mix, but if I did, those are the changes I'd make. 

The Cool One
Smiley Smile Associate

WOW

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2016, 06:30:30 AM »

I Think That the track labelled in TSS as "Heroes and Villains Part bag of tricks" was the inner groove of Surf Up (In the style of Caroline No Dogs and Trains or the A Day in the life collage)

If you donīt know what section iīm talking: https://www.beatport.com/track/heroes-and-villains-part-1-tag-original-mix/3079431
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 07:28:36 AM by Loopdeloopflipflop » Logged
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2016, 04:55:08 PM »

Oh thanks!

The only changes I would have made since then is a three-minute edit of Child is Father of The Man, much like Brian's test edits; and an Elements that used the different takes of Dada spliced together with the three elemental Psychedelic Sounds chants in the breaks of each (instead of just solely 'water' chants).  

Not sure if I'll ever revise my posted mix, but if I did, those are the changes I'd make.  
I listened to your 1967 Smile mix and it's simply fantastic, as I was expecting given your explanations. Highlights (imho): the Old Master Painter coda and the Water section in The Elements (brilliant!). Thanks!
The only thing I miss is a Heroes and Villains Part 2 as a bonus track. I appreciate that you went for a "not kitchen sink" H&V, but the H&V sessions are not the kitchen sink, they rank among the most brilliant music ever, and can't simply be left on the cutting floor. Smiley
Anyway, thanks!!!!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 04:56:29 PM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2016, 10:16:06 AM »

This is the running order that I'm currently enjoying...
(Was made for fun / out of boredom)

1. Heroes & Villains (starts with "Fire Intro" aka-bells and whistles)
2. Do You Like Worms
3. Holidays
4. Wind Chimes (GV box version)
5. Good Vibrations
6. Look
7. Wonderful
8. Barnyard/Old Master Painter (You Are My Sunshine)
9. Cabin Essence
10. The Elements:
                          Our Prayer
                          Mrs. O'Leary's Cow
                          Cool, Cool Water (GV box version)
                          I Wanna Be Around (Workshop)
11. Vega-Tables
12. Child Is Father Of The Man
13. Surf's Up
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 02:28:34 PM by BiNNS » Logged
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2016, 07:43:19 PM »

So, this is my first attempt to come out of the closet with Smile mix! Grin

Something I mixed for fun, but seems to work out out just fine!

To be honest this is just my mash up of other people mixes and ideas, so thank you Jiggy22, Old Master Painter, Judd, Memory Man, Holly Bee, Krabklaw, Jacob...can't think of anyone else involved in this mash up, but I think that's all...

At this time I don't know where to put this in my mix, maybe nowhere Huh, but it's kind of fun to put this little mash ups together Smiley

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3ncyd9cr7d8ki91/Smile+mash+up+experiments.mp3

Enjoy!

For pure fun and educational purposes only!

This is pure joy. Thanks for the creative work!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 07:43:54 PM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx