gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:06:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bicycle sounds in You Still Believe In Me live  (Read 1795 times)
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2016, 04:11:01 PM »

As we know, You Still Believe In Me was called In My Childhood when Brian recorded the backing track, which is why the bicycle sounds are there; the entire track as a whole has a very childlike sound to it. But then either Tony or Brian decided to change the theme of the song, came up with new lyrics, the bicycle sounds no longer fit this new theme, but they couldn't be removed, so they were left there.

Now Brian is performing Pet Sounds live, and the bicycle sounds are still there in the song. Should they still be there? Wouldn't the song be better off without them, considering the lyrics are about... well... infidelity? Would you prefer they left the sounds in or out?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 06:29:23 PM »

Don't you think they would have been taken out of the song in the first place if Brian didn't want them there?  Honestly I've never thought about it.  I've heard that song so many times, I've never even thought to question it.  I guess it adds some whimsy to an otherwise sad song.  Perhaps to Brian, the bicycle noises are just other instruments and not necessarily representative of anything in the lyrics.

Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 08:59:28 PM »

Don't you think they would have been taken out of the song in the first place if Brian didn't want them there?

I'm not sure they could... According to these notes: http://www.beachboysfanclub.com/ps-tracks.html

The backing track retained the bell and horn sounds because, as Asher explained, "It had already been combined with the rest of the track and couldn't be removed or even de-emphasized."

terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 02:41:10 AM »

Wouldn't It Be Nice isn't traditional European folk music and God Only Knows isn't a Christmas song. Clearly Brian must do away with those accordions and sleigh bells.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 05:50:32 PM »

Don't you think they would have been taken out of the song in the first place if Brian didn't want them there?  Honestly I've never thought about it.  I've heard that song so many times, I've never even thought to question it.  I guess it adds some whimsy to an otherwise sad song.  Perhaps to Brian, the bicycle noises are just other instruments and not necessarily representative of anything in the lyrics.

I don't see it as a sad song. Now, It would be sad if the girl DIDN'T still believe in him. As for the horn sound left in for the live performance, I think it's just a bit of fun even though it doesn't really fit with the lyrics. It's expected after 50 years.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 05:52:45 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 02:40:10 AM »

Whether the bicycle bell "fits" or not is not important. Brian's musicians are recreating the song virtually note-for-note and that includes all the sounds. I would feel like something is missing if it wasn't there. I think that Brian was such a perfectionist, if the bell bothered him that much he would re-record the whole session and get it the way he wanted it.  Grin

Mistake or not, it adds to the song in a way I cannot explain.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 06:16:57 AM »

Talking about live versions, I've always found it weird that they used the stock pre-recorded album intro to YSBIM when they did the song on the 1993 GV Box tour. I could never decide whether it was a commendable bit of trying to be authentic to the original recording, or totally lazy.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 07:11:55 AM »

Brian's musicians are recreating the song virtually note-for-note and that includes all the sounds.

Well, while we are at it... should they have someone yell "top, please!" during the bridge of Here Today? Tongue
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 07:51:31 AM »

Brian's musicians are recreating the song virtually note-for-note and that includes all the sounds.

Well, while we are at it... should they have someone yell "top, please!" during the bridge of Here Today? Tongue

They did that, for at least some shows, on the 2000 tour as I recall.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx